Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Microsoft Knowingly Misleads Trial Version Consumers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 2
Microsoft Knowingly Misleads Trial Version ConsumersPage 1 of 1    
Google "magic jellybean".
There is some chance that you can find your old 2007 product key still.
 Random_geek_01
Msg: 3
Microsoft Knowingly Misleads Trial Version Consumers
Posted: 8/28/2012 5:13:13 PM
you might want to contact them about your sticky caps lock key as well.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 5:24:11 PM
Are you aware that Microsoft does not use POF forums to track customer satisfaction?

Rather than trying to get Plenty of Fish involved with defending against defamation, I recommend that you go through other existing channels, such as both Acer and Microsoft customer relations, as well as Better Business Bureau and any federal authorities that might be involved, since this is interstate commerce.

One other thing, I recommend that you follow my policy, and never again download or install any "trial versions" of anything, unless you first verify that you might genuinely be willing to pay full price for the full product.

I also never "take advantage" of any free test offers for products such as vacuum cleaners, or other such expensive durable goods.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/28/2012 5:46:07 PM
TODAY Acer has advised and CONFIRMED there is NO PRODUCT KEY!!!!!!!! To get OFFICE 2007 HOME EDITION back on MY COMPUTER I am required to RE-INSTALL TO FACTORY SETTINGS AND IT WILL WIPE MY ENTIRE SYSTEM CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Acer offered to help for $100.00

Why not just use a system restore point to put your computer back to the way it was before you installed the trail?

I WAS NOT INFORMED THAT THE TRIAL VERSION DOWNLOAD WOULD DELETE MY EXISTING, FUNCTIONING OFFICE 2007 HOME EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am calling BS on that.

Here is a link to a page that shows the download and install steps and you can clearly see that there is a section that you had to click on that asked to keep or remove previous versions.

It also shows you how you can delete the trail and go back to your orignal version.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-upgrade-to-office-2010/

The bottom line is you know what happens when you buy software pre-installed without a key, you saved a few bucks but without the media and that key it is a big hassle to get it back on, because that software is a single user single licence meaning it is only meant for that pc.
 MacInOC
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/29/2012 12:15:33 PM
This is MS Office. You should not have to re-install windows for any office products.

Curious, what help were you trying to get in the first place?

So you need to decide where you want to go - forward or backward. Office 2003/2007 is rather old.

So what exactly do you want?

a) A product key for MS Office 2010?
b) A product key for MS Office 2007?
c) A product key for MS Office 2012?
d) Convert to Open Office?
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2012 5:32:26 PM

Why not just use a system restore point to put your computer back to the way it was before you installed the trail?

+1.

Try this first before doing anything else.
 cwltom
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 3:57:19 PM

you might want to contact them about your sticky caps lock key as well.

rofl.
And of course that would have to be Acer and not Microsoft.
 dimitri24
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/4/2012 5:36:25 PM
forget ms office unless you absolutely need it. get openoffice.org i bet you can guess the website, that is unless you have an explicit need to read the latest file formats specific to office 2007 and up. personally i don't see any reason to use something other than the older formats. and i can't stand the new interface. office 2003 was perfect and openoffice.org is a perfect free replacement for that. but i understand you may need something newer if you have work documents you need to view at home or whatever.

the magic jellybean suggestion is a good one. there may still be a key saved in the registry. i have used it to save keys for windows reinstalls in the past but it's been a while.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

if you can find a key for office just go here and download it using the recovered key.
http://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 10:08:36 PM
get openoffice.org

there are a few other options

control panel, add/remove programs

remove the trial, add the new program ?

lose the cApS lOckS :)

get a local kid who knows more than you about computers and get them to fix it

your computer knowledge will probably do more harm than good....
 lovefun99
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2012 1:05:41 PM
Simple, go to Control Panel, Programs and features, find the Office 2010 trial version, right click on it and choose uninstall. Next time do a Google search first, it will save you a lot of time and frustration. Ranting at MS will achieve zilch.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/6/2012 7:13:08 PM
Question

Why in Gods name is there no business forum on POF?

There's enough people who just come here for the forums, and alot of them are IN some type of business environment.

Cha know?
 Googleplus
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/18/2012 3:53:10 PM
Linux is hardly stable. Try using Ubuntu, when you install some software you will have problems. If you want stable go with centos or scientific linux but you won't have many packages. Freebsd is stable but it's more work and it isn't good for a newbie, linux is more newbie friendly. Mac isn't any better. Only an idiot would say windows sucks because each OS has it's purpose. There's software out there for windows only.
 Googleplus
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/19/2012 10:58:27 AM
Is Ubuntu's Bleeding Edge Hurting Linux?

's not a secret to advanced Linux enthusiasts that running the latest release of their preferred distribution is likely going to lead to some bugs along the way. It's the nature of working the kinks out of new software.

Unfortunately, newer users are often under the impression that if a Linux distribution has come out of its beta stage, it's going to be perfectly stable to use. The fact of the matter is that this simply isn't always the case.

I don't believe there is any question that distribution development teams have done everything they can to handle software bugs. However, it's rare that they can get to all of them before the new version is released to the public. Expecting anything else is simply unrealistic. This is why many experienced Linux enthusiasts will opt for an older, more stable release of the same Linux distribution.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2012010500439OSDTUB

Ubuntu is bleeding edge not stable, from what I understand Debian is stable. Redhat and clones are far more stable since it's older releases.

You hate windows? This site runs on windows server, I guess you will ditch this site?
 Googleplus
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/21/2012 2:36:19 PM
Each tool for the job. There's no way I could have installed my linux router firmware without windows because the software requires me to use to upload it when I first install it.
Every one has it's strength and weakness. If you are an IT guy you would understand that. I rarely use windows I use mac and linux most of the time. Honestly each OS sucks in a certain way and it's cool in another. Btw there's far less malware on BSD than linux. If I said screw windows I would be limited what I can do. BTW windows default installation only creates a admin account no limited user like linux so you are more prone to viruses because you're letting things installed with no effort. It would be much harder to get a virus on windows if was locked down properly.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/21/2012 2:53:52 PM

BTW windows default installation only creates a admin account no limited user like linux so you are more prone to viruses because you're letting things installed with no effort. It would be much harder to get a virus on windows if was locked down properly.

Which is why the majority of issues with Windows are PEBKAC errors.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Microsoft Knowingly Misleads Trial Version Consumers