Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He wants me to meet his parents - they're nudists      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 irish_smackie
Msg: 3
He wants me to meet his parents - they're nudistsPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I can't imagine he wouldn't be willing to ask his parents to put some clothes on, nor can I imagine they would be unsympathetic to your discomfort, since it's not a lifestyle you are accustomed to. Maybe he has his own agenda here?
 laskoboo
Msg: 4
view profile
History
He wants me to meet his parents - they're nudists
Posted: 9/1/2012 9:31:35 AM
Under the circumstances... I suggest some anti nausea medication, over
the counter should work just fine...
as it is assumed nude is sexy, but you will find that is not the case
with middle aged nudists.
Try not to stare and be polite, sit at the table if possible, might help
block some of the view
 Walts
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/1/2012 9:32:45 AM
Looks like you and him are at a crossroad here, doesn't it OP?????? And it looks like you are going to have to decide on a couple of things and then actually stand up for YOUR convictions. Not being mean here, but honest to phuck, you're a grown woman. If you don't like something, don't do it. Phuck their feelings,if they(supposedly according to your boyfriend) don't care about yours.

This post seems a tad silly for a Saturday morning. Now, a Sunday morning I could see this coming up.
 _babblefish
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/1/2012 9:42:00 AM

if you decide to go, and i would, just for the chuckle factor, please remember it's always polite
to take a small gift in appreciation of their opening their home to you, i suggest;

bacon
 laskoboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 10:48:40 AM
Bet the son is a nudist too and hoping your in for it.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/1/2012 11:32:03 AM

Under the circumstances... I suggest some anti nausea medication, over
the counter should work just fine...
as it is assumed nude is sexy, but you will find that is not the case
with middle aged nudists.
Try not to stare and be polite, sit at the table if possible, might help
block some of the view

Best advice I've read.
And yes ... do expect him to be a nudest also.
He was brought up in that family unit and he does live that lifestyle.

We had one of our fellow chamber members come in and discuss his business (A naturalist campground) at our August meeting.
They state that nudism is not deemed as sexual, it's a way they choose to live their lives.
They call us "Textiles", as we like to wear clothes and they do not.

If this isn't for you, then bow out now.
Or expect that you will be asked to join the crowd as your relationship moves forward.

Just imagine .... a nudest wedding! LOL!!!
 sweetginger30
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 12:27:35 PM
What a situation, lol!! I'd say don't do anything that you're uncomfortable with. If he's more concerned with his parents feelings than yours and not trying to find a compromise at all, it COULD be an indication of how he'll act in future situations. I understand that they're proud and comfortable with their nude lifestyle, but they should accept that people may not be comfortable with meeting "ALL" of them the first time ever talking to them. Perhaps they could wait till you'd known them a little bit before actually being nude in front of you.
 DTC1999
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 12:45:53 PM

He said his parents get offended by people who don't respect their ways and that it's their house

well, respect his parents ways and decline his offer to go visit their house.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/1/2012 1:01:36 PM
I once went to visit a client ... to discuss some work I was doing on his website.
Keep in mind ... this time was set aside to talk to me.
As I was pulling up the driveway I noticed he was putting his pants on.
When I got out of the car, he was entertaining two nudists from the Naturalist Society.
They were buck naked, grossly overweight, and it was disgusting to look at.
They were drinking, and as they continued on, it became quite a rub down between the 2 of them.

Sorry ... that lifestyle is NOT for me.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/1/2012 2:24:32 PM

Seriously, why would this make anyone umcomfy? its nothing we havent seen before... Its a human body in its natural form and not like they'll be having sex on the dining room table.. Id go... I admit id probably have a laughing fit, but after that was over it would just be 2 people...

There are some things I don't wish to see. My own parents naked and/or my BFs parents naked are right at the top of my little list. Some things you just can NOT un-see.

~OT~ Nope. This would not be something I'd do. Even if I'd been in the relationship for a long while. I'd be more than willing to have his parents to MY home where MY rules are respected (clothing is NOT optional) but I'd not put myself in a position to have to over-look their nudity in my presence in their home. I think whatever they wish to do is great. I just don't need to be party to it. JMO
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/1/2012 5:49:27 PM
What about YOUR wishes? He is certainly not respecting them! I wouldn't be able to do it. I suggest you don't put yourself in a position where you don't feel comfortable.
I wouldn't go on the trip. They have a lot of nerve to think they have the right to walk around naked in front of you, & you have to respect that! They are the ones being disrespectful, by doing something extreme like that & expecting you to except it. They are in the wrong & are putting the blame on you, that is so messed up, & such a rude inacceptable way to treat their guest!
I hope you don't have kids with this man, & they have to be subjected to this behavior by the grandparents...
 OutMind
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/1/2012 8:05:58 PM
Most nudist that I have met are open minded enough to understand that not everyone is up for it. So if they get offended by your choice, they are really not that open minded. Either that, or they they have pushed their idea of nudism to their son so much, that the son does not know how to be open minded. And of course, the son also wants to see you in the buff.

This sounds to me like an imposition. I would simply tell him that you are not ready to meet his parents. This is not the type of thing you impose on people and when they say no, they are told "You are not mature enough, or confident enough with your body?" Maybe you are, but only when it feels right for you, it's not imposed to you because someone else may feel offended. How about YOU feeling offended, should that count?
 sweetginger30
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 5:31:27 AM

Just imagine .... a nudest wedding! LOL!!!

lol!! At least you'd save money on the wedding dress, lol!!
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/2/2012 7:58:12 AM
One of the last things that I would want to see on Earth before I die are the naked parents of ANY man whom I have dated. It is not only the "uncomfortable" aspects, but the aesthetics.

Shudder.

So, they would be offended if you didn't "respect" their ways or stay at their house--they obviously lack manners and respect for others. THEY should be more concerned about the sacredness of hospitality and what should be the first rules of having guests: make the guest feel comfortable and welcomed.

If your friend balks at staying at a motel and won't discuss this with his parents, don't go. If the friendship ends, then you have saved yourself hours of averting your eyes while in the presence of his parents. If it were a different situation, i.e. a nude beach where you opted to go, the circumstances would be different!
 ScientificExperiment
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/2/2012 8:22:13 AM
Ok..this one is interesting! Please do let us know the outcome!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 1:17:52 PM
Show up dressed as the back end of a donkeys azz if you do.
Should be half price at the costume store.

No way in hell I would go.

Yanno...I always thought that it was considered the mark of gracious hospitality to make your GUEST feel comfortable when they visit your home, regardless of whether it creates a slight inconvenience for you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the PARENTS invited her you ARE right.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/2/2012 11:38:33 PM
Cecilly- Take the nudity out of the equation and see the situation for what it is.......
Month two in the relationship and how his parents feel is ALREADY more important than how you feel?!
There should be NO month three.
Move on to someone who considers YOUR feelings first.
 daffie
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 12:42:48 AM
if you do go "meet the parents"?

i just hope you won't be dining at a glass-top table!...lol
 aussieblues
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 2:51:53 AM
Have you heard the saying "check out the parents to gauge how your partner may age?" Giggles...
Your feelings should matter, I firmly agree. If this person will not compromise now, it bodes for a similar future...
Lets hope his Dad isn't so firm when you meet......more giggles......
That he doesn't want to offend his folks suggests to me he's worried about the family jewels..more giggles..
Sorry but this topic is kinda hilarious......
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 32
Posted: 9/3/2012 3:21:16 AM
Your Guy to his parents, "Mom and Dad this is my casual girlfriend"...

Your Guy to you, "Cecilly these are my naked parents"

Just make sure you shake the right hand, and stick your bum out if you get a hug...
 windchymes
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 9:35:47 AM
I don't have a problem with nudists per se, but I feel that they should be more considerate of others, especially guests in their home. At the very least, "ease" her into the whole thing. And I agree, he's afraid of offending his parents, but doesn't care that YOU are uncomfortable. That speaks some decibels.

Another thing that popped into my mind is, suppose you end up marrying the guy and have kids. Are they going to jiggle and dangle around the house in front of their grandkids, too? Do they ever draw a line of inappropriateness or do they just feel the need to flaunt themselves to the world to show what renegades they are, lol?

If you do go on the trip, I would do some priceline negotiating and try to find a reasonably-priced hotel to stay in by yourself, and meet the parents publicly. If it comes up in conversation, just smile and say something like, "I am glad I got to meet you and I think you are lovely people, but I really don't know you and would rather not see you naked at this point. It's nothing personal....maybe someday I'll join you! But just not yet. I hope you can respect my own preferences."

Maybe that will smooth things over, and maybe they'll even offer to cover up a little for your visit?
 sweetest
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2012 9:43:53 AM
I can almost (almost!) see this situation as a sitcom...the reference to the upper and lower body parts when the actors are on set... 'fuzzed out' areas. The Plot: the very conundrum you find yourself in. If nothing else, it would save on wardrobe and the notion of 'product placement' would definitely be a 'huge' consideration. The shoe-in for the role of The Parents: George Costanza's - Jerry Stiller and Estelle Harris...imagine the push-back from those two if you dare to object, or worse, if the bf or 'George' in this case tried to plead your case...hysterical :)

Here's the thing. The bf here doesn't have to give you full allegiance yet...you're still casual. You're both just sussing each other out, so therefore if something doesn't work; it doesn't work....so be it. In this case, it seems that it's going to take heaven and earth (in the form of two suits of clothes...) to make this work for you.

It bears some consideration though that he's not willing to stand up to his parents and represent an important request that even if you weren't in the picture will likely be coming up again and again. Something has got to give on this front. And it's going to take his voice to make that happen, or likely they won't be able to witness some sort of partnering for him.

Of course the easy answer is for him to find someone for himself inside of that community. Even though that's an option, at some point another thing is going to come up and he's going to have to be right on that line - stepping up for something important to him.
 TRESemme1
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/4/2012 9:15:50 AM
Damn! Good thing your friend doesn't get bothered seeing his own goddamned parents naked like a newborn baby. Seeing that I am curious I would do it. But if he is up to something nasty, I can always go to a hotel.
 AndrewEsq
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 3:58:34 PM
I know this is a serious question, but I can't help it...

OP, you should pitch this movie idea to Hollywood. Not sure why they didn't pursue this plot device in a movie such as Meet the Fockers.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > He wants me to meet his parents - they're nudists