Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Clint Eastwood and the RNC speech      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2
Clint Eastwood and the RNC speechPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Why did the Republicans let Eastwood do that?

its the RNC's only toe hold in Hollywood; and Eastwood is an Iconic figure sort of a grown man's version of a real-life hero! Fighting injustice and upholding the "american" way whether in his westerns or in the streets of SF blowing Pple's heads off! Eastwood, in his movies has always been the man who has never compromised himself. And this is what the RNC hope to extract; which of course, is EXACTLY the opposite of what MR has stood for.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Clint Eastwood and the RNC speech
Posted: 9/1/2012 6:43:17 PM
The GOP has made it a core concept of theirs for the last three decades, to fight only straw men versions of the opposition, which they construct themselves. This is because they have 100% bought into the Business School approach to politics, which says (among other things) that one should never appear publicly, unless one has complete control of the venue.

Eastwood's performance was simply an extension of this, a sort of vindictive, and derisive stand-up comedy routine, designed exclusively to entertain and energize the GOP Convention audience. It was in no way "clever." Eastwood wrote all of "Obama's" lines, he didn't even bother to gather actual quotes (in or out of context) to use as paper targets for his ...what ever it was, pseudo assault. He even pretended that Obama used all manner of vile epithets and filthy language to talk about Romney. How intensely puerile!!

The reason the Republicans "let" him do it, was the same reason they "let" all sorts of extremists of various kinds do and say as they do: they don't want to offend anyone who might be willing to vote in their favor, no matter how misguided their reason for doing so might be. Further, just like the extremists of the Left, they know that a support group who is fat with a sense of innate superiority to the opposition, no matter how undeserved that sense is, will require far less maintenance to be able to count on their continued blind support.
 Worbug
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 6:59:24 PM
I got a chuckle out out of it.

What was truely pathetic, was the anti Romney cancer ad that obama's people ran.

In my opinion, more should be defending our countries own welfare, economy, and freedoms then defending obama just because he is a democrat.

As Clint Eastwood stated, this is OUR Country.
 Neopoli
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/1/2012 8:24:05 PM
It was hinted on the national news that he had a scripted speech via teleprompter, but decided to scratch it at the last minute & wing it with that empty chair. Seems nobody running the show knew he was going to do that. They reported that he was waiting in the green room 5 minutes before his scheduled appearence with the borrowed empty chair next to him, which he carried onto stage & improvised the "skit".
 want to travel
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 8:34:26 PM
he seemed very old a bit confused
it was very sad...........
 laskoboo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 2:27:28 AM
Clint was GREAT, and the libs HATED his speech because it stung so much and held too much truth.
BO is hot air, beautiful rhetoric and zero performance. This is exactly how Clint nailed him.
Obama pretends to be so pure and idealistic, when in reality, he's the sleaziest politician I've seen in my lifetime.
The lies and BS he's told about Romney should make him ashamed. Obama plays very dirty politics and would do anything and say anything to stay in power.
Clint knocked the Anointed One down a few notches.
Sorry libs, your guy sucks, and it's not Clint's fault.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my thoughts too.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 5:08:19 AM

how come only 45% of you vote?

Well I don't know why I came here tonight............. to listen to this
I got the feeling that something ain't right.......... which weasel owes the most favors to people
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair.................vote "wrong"
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs...........pass the TA KILL YA
Clowns to the left of me ................Left extreme
Jokers to the right............Right extreme
Stuck in the middle with you
.......Steelers Wheel/pepps
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/2/2012 7:49:45 AM
¨Wow,you Americans take it serious,how come only 45% of you vote?´¨

The thing I wonder about is why so many Aemricans (as well as people from many other countries) hold fake ¨Hollywood¨heroes in higher esteem than they do real on the ground heroes..can it be because the fake ones usually make so much more money and money is the only thing to be honored about someone?

Clint played a ´hero´in the movies, you know that in real life he never apprehended murderers and cleaned up the streets. right ?

During WW II Ron Reagan played a hero in movies made for DoD but never saw actual action, as in in danger of being shot-

Sly Stallone moved to Switzerland and taught at a private day-care to avoid the draft in the 1960´s when he was of prime age to go to Vietnam..then after the war was over came back & made movies about being a FAKE ´war hero´in Vietnam, such irony, and so many people lap it up and treat him as though he were a real war hero, he is a hero of making $$ and that´s the main thing to worship, of course.

if most people were more honest they would put a huge ¨$¨ sign at the front of their churches, temples, shrines, synagogues, & mosques & worship & kneel down & prostrate themselves to THAT - it´s what they REALLY worship.

how much $$ do average soldiers, firefighters, cops & nurses make- ? not that much so they are not as worthy of praise ?

bow down to your God, Mammon.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 8:00:09 AM
well said bladder

and sean 'madonna one punch' penn, george clooney and all the other FAG dafties
who simper and wax lyrical about EVERYTHING. who virtually to a FAG have carried
guns in films, killed folk, snorted and shot and smoked various narcos they are ALL two
faced lying rodents.

film directors who try and influence the outcome whilst spending countless millions blowing things
up and showing death and mayhem then start crying about gun crime, wars etc

we get it over here where 'stars' of soap operas try and influence folk lol they cannot even use their
own names because folk dont know who they are. they have to use their 'soap' name

the whole system is corrupt. it needs to be dismantled hence my wish for a total collapse of the old
order and a cleansing of the way things are done.
 sweetest
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 9:05:57 AM
Imo, very few took what Mr. Eastwood said seriously. For those in that conference hall, Eastwood was a bit of visual red meat, nothing more. His importance on that stage was as a backdrop--a supporting message (tough guy, guns, individualism) and as a way to shore up Mr. Romney's image, as if to relay by osmosis, that 'Eastwood brand of toughness' on to Romney, a candidate plagued with an enduring milquetoast waffling 'Gumby' image, by suggesting he will be 'your tough guy'.

I chalked it up to Eastwood 'performance' as utilizing some sort of 'actor's technique' to present his opinion; unfortunately using a tone that was as unflattering and as ill-timed as apparently as it was unvetted by the campaign.

Too bad for the GOP because what it did do imo, is to point to the overall and unrelenting tactical errors and 'shoddiness' with respect to the management and judgement of the Romney campaign.

If we're to believe that Romney has the capacity to do better than the President in realizing 'results', given his storied 'management' abilities and storied business resume, then a good proving ground would have been demonstrated by now with respect to his campaign, especially given the fact the GOP spending in this campaign reportedly rivals the operating budget of some small countries, and especially given the GOP's supposedly most mission-critical objective; that being to secure the presidency.

So how is it that on the Romney campaign's most important night and in the very hour leading up to his most important speech ever, where his role was to simply frame his suitability to be President, that a host of speeches representing individuals in the GOP with their own clear, political aspirations led the charge? Why exactly did that happen and who was in charge of screwing that up the message?

Worse was the decision to align himself with a mythical, Hollywood story line -- that of an aging legendary actor/director, whose tone toward the current President was an embarrassing, foul-mouthed tinged, dismissive 'mess' of a rant in front of a national and world audience. Again, with apparently so much at stake, why exactly was that allowed to happen and who signed off on that?

The whole thing underscores a core feeling I have which is that Romney is simply not in charge, and has never been in charge…so in electing him who exactly will be running the show? In managing his campaign that he has not shown stellar judgement to either invest in people or tactics that can deliver results.

Yet, his current campaign message suggests that he, given his moral compass, his business experience and expertise all lends itself to a 'results' oriented ‘choice’ in this election--"Choose the GOP and you'll see the results".

That night should have been articulating his suitability to be President---he had every dollar imaginable to buy the resources he needed and to make the necessary corrections for the 'big night', but someone made those inept decisions---just like that he will likely outsource 'someone' in his party to make decisions about how the nation is run, should the GOP win.

We don't know who those people are that he is investing this great trust, but it is of great consequence that this candidate--still without a well-defined core message about who he is and what he believes in, fronts a party that has no respect for the Office of the President--much less political decorum.

Romney continually allows his own party to repeatedly sully both his and the larger party's brand by devolving into disrespectful tones toward anyone who gets in their way; all this suggesting an inherent incapability and lack of judgment of the GOP, and with this candidate in particular to represent the country with all its ‘divisive bits’--especially on the world stage, where political subtlety, nuance and nimbleness counts.

edited throughout and to add:

Rockin...great post!
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/2/2012 9:52:14 AM
who runs things at the Pentagon anyway? the entire Afghanistan & Iraq wars could have been over in a day had they just sent the TRUE ¨tough guys¨over... Clint Eastwood & the entire cast of ¨The Ependables 2¨.

aye, geezer in the auld homeland thanks for the kind words, geezer, once in a while I make a LITTLE sense, eh wot?

- bladder-
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/2/2012 10:14:51 AM
Eastwood. Was. Terrific. End of story. If he hadn't been, the Left wouldn't be soiling its' shorts now trying to figure out how to counter his gut-level effectiveness.

And now for something completely different ... but yet still terribly relevant, since it will occur directly as a result of many minds having been opened by Mr. Eastwood ...

Obama is running on fumes. He'll have his tiny little moment in the sun when the Democrats have their very own teeny-weeny 'convention'. I wonder if he'll have the balls to try the 'Greek Columns' trick twice ... He'll piss it away with his usual grievance-mongering, race-baiting, and class warfare. He won't proclaim any new policy directives; he'll just rewarm his class warfare rhetoric about fairness, the GOP's fictional 'war on women', etc. He'll try to make the case Romney is out of touch or 'heartless'. Unfortunately for him, the anecdotes given prior to Romney's acceptance speech have successfully defanged that snake.

Obama. Is. Going. Down. ... read that one however you choose ...

November 6, 2012 ... to borrow from Ahnoldt: "The End Of Days" opens at polling places across the country.
 Sniper308
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/2/2012 10:47:35 AM
Wow,you Americans take it serious,how come only 45% of you vote?

Because the rest are too lazy and/or apathetic. They come up with excuses, whine, and seek pity. Because they are gutless. We had more voter turnout in the first Iraqi election than, as a percentage of the population, we tend to get here... and that's shameful. Under threat of sniper fire, all-out attacks, and suicide bombers, people turned out to vote and were proud of it, showing off their purple thumbs. Many walked for MILES to vote... again, risking death. People here just gripe and whine and say anything or do anything not to vote. They don't get the price that has been paid in American ***LIVES*** to EARN and KEEP the right to vote. Lastly, of the 45% who actually do vote, so many just throw their votes away... on fictitious characters and whatnot. Of the 45% you cite, you must realize the percentage of people who actually FOLLOW ISSUES *and* vote accordingly is probably a single-digit number.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/2/2012 11:19:51 AM
Check out "Eastwooding".
Like it or hate it, the guy created a sensation.

Clint Eastwood and the chair: 'Eastwooding,' 'This seat's taken' become new 2012 memes
http://newyork.newsday.com/news/nation/clint-eastwood-and-the-chair-eastwooding-this-seat-s-taken-become-new-2012-memes-1.3944451
Originally published: September 1, 2012 12:56 PM
Updated: September 1, 2012 12:59 PM
By THE LOS ANGELES TIMES (MCT)

"This is a story about a man and his chair.

And how that chair became, for an explosive moment, the star of a presidential race.

Clint Eastwood's speech Thursday night at the Republican National Convention in Tampa was an amiable amble through the backroads of the flinty superstar's mind. No matter how high the weeds got, the crowd loved it. Scripted jests, ad libs, that throat-slice move, the off-color bits - the whole thing worked for them.

But Eastwood's speech, much of it a chat between himself and an empty chair for an imaginary Barack Obama, touched off a Twitterversy that dominated post-convention conversation.

That chair became a proxy for the big party battle, the fight to frame the issues and the opposition."
"excerpted"
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 12:10:20 PM
Well, those who are baffled by low turnouts can at least take comfort in the GOP's efforts to reduce that further, under the guise of "protecting the sanctity of the ballot box."

As for me, I really don't know why so many people don't vote. I do know that the reasons they give when asked are as varied as the population is as a whole. I suspect that there is a definite correlation between voter turn out, and the perception of stability in a society, in association with the perception that their votes actually get counted, and so forth. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the nations where turnout is now very high, if that drops off considerably when (or if) the nation gets used to stable economics and government.

I also know that there is no correlation between who puts up the most or loudest fuss, and who votes. So it isn't factually supported even to suggest things such as, that just as these forums don't represent even a tenth of the POF constituency, that people who complain are representative of the bulk of the actual voting peoples.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 1:08:42 PM
Couple of posts going "Eastwood" on us here..

Not saying who.

Smadda?
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/2/2012 1:23:33 PM
¨Course Then again I just learned that Jenna Jameson endorses republicans.

maybe Republicans generally tipped better after blowing a load of hot spunk down her throat ?

everyone knows Democrats tend to be cheap in their personal spending habits..

anyway they often expect girls to do it for FREE.. LOL
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/2/2012 2:15:30 PM
^^^^^^
"Everyone knows Democrats tend to be cheap in their personal spending habits..

Anyway they often expect girls to do it for FREE.."

+1 on that,,, Bill Clinton could have avoided a lot of problems by giving Monica Lewinsky a cheap tennis
bracelet . That's what happens when you expect everything for free.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/2/2012 2:23:56 PM
Teddy Kennedy and Chris Dodds certainly didn't show much concern for the women they abused when they decided to make them the 'meat' in their infamous 'waitress sandwiches' ... but y' never heard any of that in the 'news' until (1) Teddy Bit The Big One and, (2) Chris Dodds abandoned his seat by crawling out of the Senate with his tail (?) between his legs ... and don't forget, there's still the Gerry Studds Memorial Blow Dryer in the Senate washroom ... it's right next to the Barney Frank Handwash Station ...
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/2/2012 2:31:04 PM
¨Teddy Kennedy and Chris Dodds certainly didn't show much concern for the women they abused when they decided to make them the 'meat' in their infamous 'waitress sandwiches' ... but y' never saw any of that in the paper until (1) Teddy Bit The Big One and, (2) Chris Dodds resigned his seat and crawled out of the Senate with his tail (?) between his legs ... and don't forget, there's still the Gerry Studds Memorial Blow Dryer in the Senate washroom ...

well at least they were red-blooded HETERO men..do you prefer the asexual type or the many HYPOCRITICAL gay men like long-time Republican Sen. Lary Craig, who publicly was against gays and gay marriage, then was caught ¨Cruising¨for anonymous gay sex in an airport ¨glory hole¨by an undercover cop.. LMAO

of course he was in the same mold as those great, ¨godly¨men like the good Rev. Ted Haggard who also loudly opposed gay sex/marriage publicly, then was caught with meth and a young gay male hooker..

so is the best ¨criticism¨you can come up with about a guy , that he likes to have sex with women?

Oh, the horror! the horror!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 2:40:34 PM
MMMM, boys, children, I think this ^^^^^^is going a tad off of the thread subject. Sex games of the rich and famous doesn't have anything to do with an actor performing however a silly routine for their audience that they choose to do.

I did see a report to the effect that Obama actually tweeted a response, and that it was re-tweeted around the convention. Something to the effect that the chair HE was in, was taken.

If true, I thought that was one of his better bits of cleverness.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/2/2012 2:53:48 PM
Empty chair? Maybe he's busy on the golf course,,,,

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/presidential-campaign/246947-obama-and-that-empty-chair-mitt-goes-to-israel-and-nola-while-obama-wont

Obama and that empty chair: Mitt goes to Israel and NOLA while Obama won't
By Cheri Jacobus - 08/31/12 11:24 AM ET
While the media take potshots at American icon Clint Eastwood for his non-teleprompter speech last night at the GOP convention and talking to an empty chair representing President Obama, they seem to be missing the point. Or more likely, they "get it" but are sweeping it under the rug.

GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney recently visited U.S. ally Israel, while President Obama refuses to do so until/unless he is reelected. Empty chair.

President Obama has no plans to visit New Orleans post-Isaac, but Mitt Romney is on his way there. Obama continues to fundraise and campaign instead. Empty chair.

President Obama can't take the time between his 100-plus rounds of golf to personally sign letters to families of fallen soldiers (let alone call or visit them) but makes a personal call to Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown Law student whining that the federal government needs to force her Catholic college to pay for her birth control pills because she's too poor (and by the way — is now engaged, so the "wedding watch" is on to see if she has a big, expensive wedding.) Empty chair.

President Obama either a) has terribly incompetent political advisers, b) has OK advisers but won't listen to them, c) is so confident of the media's support and protection that he will do what he damn well pleases, no matter how insensitive.

The empty-chair analogy by Clint Eastwood might be far more accurate and impactful than the Obama campaign and its cheerleaders in the media care to accept.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 3:04:15 PM
Good complaints there Green, but the thing is, you are putting things into Eastwood's little performance that weren't there in any way shape or form. He never complained about the chair being empty, quite the contrary: he pretended that a very childish, cartoonish caricature of Obama was actually seated in it, saying goofy puerile things.

You and some others here seem to be attributing a lot more value to this whole silly thing than any of the serious politicians have. It's a bunch of silly nothing, being blown out of all proportion, because it IS so easy to blow nonsense out of all proportion.
 sweetest
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 3:43:54 PM
Yup, I agree that the 'chair' is somewhat silly, but like it or not it will remain the major takeaway from the night because as a story; it has legs (pardon the pun) for both sides...

So much for the millions spent to create and deliver a key message to the American people. Instead twitter is run amok with all the chair inferences, overt or subtle and to be sure the comedians have been given a real 'gift'. Eventually I'm sure, Clint will be able to join in on the fun if he hasn't already.

With respect to President Obama not visiting New Orleans, I don't know that source where you are getting your news, but his plan to visit NOLA tomorrow was widely reported. The Romney campaign decided to pre-empt the President's planned trip by going immediately following the convention for what's been suggested is largely a photo op.

Further it doesn't seem that Romney had much of any import to relay and what he apparently did say wasn't what I'd characterize as a stellar, "I feel your pain" response to a resident who had just lost everything in the storm.

I'm quoting Matthew Daly's report in the Huffington Post: 8/31/12, but many other outlets released the same info:

Chiarello said she told Romney, "I lost everything" and that the presidential contender advised her on how to get assistance. "He said that he was going to do the best that he could for us," she said.

"He just told me to, um, there's assistance out there," Chiarello said of her conversation with Romney. "He said, go home and call 211." That's a public service number offered in many states.

^^^I guess that works if you still have a home.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 7:57:01 PM
ha! ha! Gotta love that Clint Eastwood. What a great actor! He had me going for a minute with the drunk and disheveled portrayal. Then when I listened a bit I was amazed at how clever the whole thing was. I found out later that he had pulled off that whole monologue WITHOUT a teleprompter.

The funny partest part of all was that his tounge in cheek humor sailed right over the heads of MOST of the liberals. The sad part was that MANY weren't astute enough to know what the concept of the empty chair was. And that even more of them didn't know the purpose of Clint's being there.

The best part was that the only criticism the liberals could raise at the entire GRAND OLD PARTY convention was their cheap shots at 'Dirty Harry'.

Oh, yeah! That the Good Lord dumped rain on the plans of the stupid, obnoxious protesters, but the convention went right on.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Clint Eastwood and the RNC speech