Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you guys use cheese? Raw?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SanDiegoCasey
Msg: 1
Do you guys use cheese? Raw? Page 1 of 1    
Hey all,

I usually have sandwiches for lunch, my weak point is the cheese, I use sprouted bread, cut meats that I cook, not processed, but I'm using regular pasturized swiss cheese. I've heard that raw is better but probably still has added fat that you don't want to consume. I've never tried the raw cheese and the place that has it only has it in blocks so I'd have to slice it. Anyone ever use it? Do you just leave out the cheese, or just use regular?
 billingsmason
Msg: 2
Do you guys use cheese? Raw?
Posted: 9/5/2012 8:08:44 AM
Why is eating cheese a weak point?

Almost every thing we buy is low fat, no fat.... I actually have to buy fat to get my daily requirements.
suet and cinnamon, yummy- with splenda of course

If this is for dieting reasons(fat loss)... why not just up your activity level?
imo- the current craze of obsessing over foods is unhealthy. Imagine the body you could have if for every minute you spent scouring the internet, reading labels, worrying about the grams of whatever....... you just did some PT.

Pasteurization is for killing harmful pathogens ie: e. coli, salmonella
Aging (raw milk) cheese for 60 days also does this, but has nothing to do with fat content.
 Googleplus
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/5/2012 10:03:14 AM
Dairy isn't good for you so I would limit them as much as possible. This doesn't mean you can't have it just limit them.
 SanDiegoCasey
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/5/2012 12:47:19 PM
Dairy is generally bad for you and the pasturized versions may be laden with chemicals (added to suppress odor and restore taste) and synthetic vitamin D2 (toxic and linked to heart disease) or D3 (which is difficult to absorb) . Also 50% of pasteurized milk’s calcium is unusable—the body cannot assimilate it.

Modern milking, packaging, and distributing methods are more sanitary than they were when pasteurization was first thought to be necessary, and in many people and doctor's opinions it harms the milk.

That all being said.. I do like my cheese... I will probably try the raw cheese and just slice it, i was just curious if anyone has done that before or has found a substitute?
 Googleplus
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/5/2012 1:20:42 PM
You should try gouda cheese, the real gouda not the cheap crap. The good ones are made from raw organic milk. The reason it is good for you is that they ferment with healthy bacteria.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/gouda-cheese-benefits.html
 billingsmason
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/5/2012 6:04:37 PM
Wow the info on this was scary.... so I did a little checking.

The difference between pasteurization and raw milk "thermalization"... 7 degrees F...
Pasteurization 164 F for 17 seconds (there are many different types... this is the most common for cheese)
Thermalization 157 F for 17 seconds
They heat the milk to kill unhealthy bacteria, so it doesn't give you the skitters.
Thermalized milk has more bacteria, but it aides in digestion.
They don't add chemicals, antibiotics or anything during this. They heat it.

Gouda (one of my favorites) has more butter fat than Edam, which is very similar in taste texture.

All hard cheese is fermented with healthy bacteria. IE consumable bacteria.

People come up with all sorts of interesting things. Few do any research.
How many people have even been to a dairy? Have you seen how things are done? Asked someone who might know what they do to the milk before it's jugged? Or just pulled some random blog off the net and swallowed that whole?

The dairy debate aside.... just the cheese making process has a lot of info to digest before making a claim like it's bad for you.
To be fair and not just play devil's advocate..... try making your own cheese. Looks pretty simple to get started and then you'd know just what went into it. It's all just basically Milk, Acid, Culture ( the healthy bacteria).
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2012 10:35:59 PM

Dairy isn't good for you so I would limit them as much as possible. This doesn't mean you can't have it just limit them

Agreed. I limit my dairy intake to a bit of cheese now and then. The key is 'a little'. cheese is one of the worse foods in western diets...not only hard on the body but an added bonus of fat, salt and 'who knows what' hormones.
Posted: 9/6/2012 3:36:29 AM
Organic greek yogurt plain
Organic goat cheese,
Some sour cream on occasion and blue cheese is a treat.

To much doesnt agree with me.
It's very filling/almost uncomfortable if I eat to much.

No worries about the fat if in moderation and organic.

Fat is not your enemy unless you are out of control with bad fats,but sugar/grains are.
Your brain wont 'fire' right without good fats. How do you guys type on a mac??geez what a pain.
 Googleplus
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/6/2012 4:34:13 AM

All hard cheese is fermented with healthy bacteria. IE consumable bacteria.

Only gouda cheese can help fight cancer, due to the probotics in the cheese. That is not the case with most other other cheese made.
 billingsmason
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/6/2012 6:37:28 PM
Can you pass on where your info comes from? ^^^^^^^

What I found:
Swiss, Emmental, gouda, eda, and Jarlsburg all use the same starter cultures.... the "healthy Bacteria".
They all have vit K2... which is the "cancer fighting" agent. It also has other good effects, like preventing hardening of the arteries.
The longer these cheeses are aged, the more probiotics they contain.

A study did show gouda helped people 72 years and up maintain healthy brain function, moreso than other cheeses.

Doctors caution: people with major healthy issues, HIV, leukemia and those taking chemotherapy, having ulcers, intestinal bleeding, or on steroids should NOT consume probiotics, because of the risk of systemic infection, Endocarditis (an infection of the heart muscle), neurological disorders, and antibiotic resistance.

When I hear things like the above post..... it makes me curious to find out the truth. Rumor mill gossip is also hilarious in it's own right, kind of like the campaign ads on right now. If you have any facts to base your claim on.... please pass them along.
 Googleplus
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/7/2012 7:37:16 AM
Scientists in Finland have highlighted the potential of probiotic cheese to protect and enhance the immune system of elderly people.

The immune health benefits of probiotic bacteria in yoghurt and milk are well documented but comparatively little research has been carried out on the role of cheese as a carrier.

Writing in FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology, Finnish scientists therefore sought to determine whether specific probiotic bacteria - Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM - would have similar immune enhancing effects in cheese as has been documented in other products.

Gouda cheese

The researchers, lead by Dr Fandi Ibrahim of the University of Turku, invited a group of elderly people aged between 72 and 103, all of whom lived in the same care home, to eat one slice of either placebo or probiotic Gouda cheese with their breakfast for four weeks.

Blood tests where then carried out to determine how the probiotic bacteria in the cheese affected the immune system of the volunteers.

Scientists in Finland have highlighted the potential of probiotic cheese to protect and enhance the immune system of elderly people.

The immune health benefits of probiotic bacteria in yoghurt and milk are well documented but comparatively little research has been carried out on the role of cheese as a carrier.

Writing in FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology, Finnish scientists therefore sought to determine whether specific probiotic bacteria - Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM - would have similar immune enhancing effects in cheese as has been documented in other products.

Gouda cheese

The researchers, lead by Dr Fandi Ibrahim of the University of Turku, invited a group of elderly people aged between 72 and 103, all of whom lived in the same care home, to eat one slice of either placebo or probiotic Gouda cheese with their breakfast for four weeks.

Blood tests where then carried out to determine how the probiotic bacteria in the cheese affected the immune system of the volunteers.

http://www.dairyreporter.com/Formulation/Study-backs-immune-health-benefits-of-probiotic-cheese

Properly fermented foods is known for health benefits. Gouda alone won't give you good health if you have a poor diet, but it can contribute to better health. I eat kimchi , fermented cabbage. When I ferment long enough I get the health benefits.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/01/03/fermented-foods-part-two.aspx
 darkfairycreature
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/9/2012 1:59:22 AM
All very interesting information googleplus, but none of it backs up your statement that 'only gouda cheese can help fight cancer'. Big statement. I'm with billingsmason here. My work background and education is in nutrition so I'm not completely uninformed on this topic. The science of nutrition, and how the body processes nutrients and toxins is a very complicated one, but back to the original topic - I don't believe eating cheese is a weak point if you're sensible.... but I would be wary of raw dairy products. Sweeping statements like 'dairy products are bad for you' are completely uninformed. Everything in moderation people....
 satx78218
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 11:36:42 AM
industrial 'dairy products are bad for you' is more specific.

100% organic grass fed dairy and beef can be beneficial, but it mostly can't compete economically with the cheap, chemical/hormone/antibiotic-tainted beef and dairy.
 Googleplus
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/9/2012 1:51:02 PM

but I would be wary of raw dairy products.

How many people have died eating raw dairy?
You need to study on fermented foods, how the gut bacteria works and how cancer cells survive. Also you should read the China study. The Chinese has the lowest incidents of cancer. Low meat intake and dairy is major reason why. Sure there are other factors with cancer but your area is only in nutrition. I had a nutritionist tell me that the fluorinated in water was a need nutrient for good health.
 Googleplus
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/9/2012 2:31:18 PM
The application of probiotics in cancer.
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are present in many foods such as yoghurt and are frequently used as probiotics to favour some biological functions in the host. Many investigators have evaluated the therapeutic effects of yoghurt and LAB commonly used in yoghurt production against diseases such as cancer, infection, and gastrointestinal disorders. The increase of immune cell activity in the prevention of cancer by LAB consumption has also been described. Another possible explanation for the preventive effect of probiotics on carcinogenesis is their effect on other bacteria in the intestine. Probiotics may suppress the growth of bacteria that convert procarcinogens into carcinogens, thereby reducing the amount of carcinogens in the intestine. The present review is focused on two types of cancer in which milk fermented by LAB may show a beneficial effect: colon cancer and breast cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17922945
 darkfairycreature
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/9/2012 2:35:09 PM
My area is actually food technology, which covered a fair bit of nutrition but I would not say I'm an expert in nutrition - I shouldn't have claimed any knowledge at all really, I just wanted to make the point that I wasn't basing my opinions on reading various studies (which, by the way, may or may not prove anything. The way many scientific studies are conducted leave something to be desired), but on years of study. Also, we are all swayed somewhat by our own opinions, regardless of how much science is actually involved. Opinions to which we are all entitled. Peace
 darkfairycreature
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/9/2012 2:37:51 PM

Probiotics may suppress the growth of bacteria that convert procarcinogens into carcinogens, thereby reducing the amount of carcinogens in the intestine.

The word 'may' in this sentence is all I'm talking about. You will not find a proper scientific study prepared to say 'will supress...'

Each to his own beliefs...
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 9:38:40 PM
darkfairycreature...exellent distinction. As someone involved in the sciences, I cringe when I hear such claims. There is no way of identifying or controlling all variables to come out with any 'absolute' statement about any food product.

I just take a pass on most dairy products. Perhaps in some idyllic world they would be ok but in our hormone-loaded 'cow factory' production...no thanks. Nobody can give any answer as to what this stuff is doing to our bodies. I enjoy my almond and rice milk but 'who knows' if even they aren't subject to weird processes.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you guys use cheese? Raw?