Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Asking for number vs giving number      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RufioJ
Msg: 1
Asking for number vs giving numberPage 1 of 1    
I have a question for the ladies out there: do you act/think differently between a guy asking for your number or him giving you his number?

Most of the time, I ask for a girl's number. It's just tradition and also, I decide when to call instead of just waiting. But the last two girls I've met, I've given them my business card. One of them texted me and the other hasn't yet (gave her the number yesterday). I'm sure some women like having the guy's number because it puts them in the driver's seat so to speak. But I'm wondering if most women put any stock in it or even care who's number goes where.

A couple of times I've had girls give me their numbers and ironically, neither of them ever followed up when I called them. It seems like girls these days act like deer, they're jittery and run at the slightest misstep men take when we "break a rule" or act in an undesirable way (wait too long to call, call too often, etc).
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Asking for number vs giving number
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:05:09 PM
I am not one to call someone first... so I will give my number... I had this happened this weekend when I was out with friends... met a guy... and he wrote down his number... I told him that I never make the first call... and gave him my number... he was somewhat put off by that... but I explained... I am a little old fashion and want to see someone show the interest in me...
 OriginalBrunetteBombshell
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:08:05 PM
^^^^^Completely opposite of that lady.
I would take the guys number because that way I can block my number before I call him, preventing him from having my number. It is a comfort thing for me, have to know a guy for awhile before he gets my personal information, ladies have to be careful nowadays.
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2012 11:14:55 PM
lol... so you can have his personal information but he can't have yours??? that is very one sided.... why should he trust you anymore than you trust him??? not like you are giving your address.... you can block someone from calling if they bug you.... my phone number does not provide you with any information on me other than a number for me to answer if I choose...
 Dolphina
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/8/2012 12:11:32 AM
When giving my number, I expect him to give me his at the same time. That said, I'm unlikely to hand out my number to someone I don't know and am only interested in sharing numbers when we have established some sort of conversation online.
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2012 5:55:40 AM
For me, we usually give each other our numbers. The guy ends up contacting me first, but it's a mutual exchange.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/8/2012 6:47:30 AM
I use Google Voice anyway, so I'd rather just give my number.
 Twitch369
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/8/2012 7:27:45 AM
Why are people so paranoid about their phone numbers? Really? If he becomes a problem just block him... it's not that hard. I find it particularly weird how so many people seem to think bad things can happen if someone has your phone number. You know, there is a book out there called a phone book, it has most people's phone number in it... stop being paranoid.

Sorry for that rant, work in sales and it's a pet peeve of mine. Anyway, ask for the number, don't just give your number and run. Take control. If you control the pace, people are more receptive to you. If you give your number and don't get hers then you are just waiting around. It's too passive, and most women dislike passive.
 CaptainA.D
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/8/2012 7:59:45 AM
What's google voice? And I'm having trouble figuring out the controversey here. We all think different. Old tradition set aside, if your interested in someone, iniate something then. There shouldn't be this guys/gals rules towards dating. We are all adults here.
 grove_22
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/8/2012 9:56:19 AM
It should't matter. Sometimes a woman has voluntarily given me her number on her own. Sometimes a woman has given me her number after I asked for it. Sometimes I have given her my number first. Often when I may not have internet access for a while. Thus she will able to contact me.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/8/2012 1:53:25 PM
I would not call a man if he gave me his number. I detest talking on the phone---I've always preferred to arrange my dates via e-mail. I would exchange phone numbers if the man insisted on it---but only to reach me in the event that there was a change of plans.
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/8/2012 3:14:45 PM

I would not call a man if he gave me his number. I detest talking on the phone---I've always preferred to arrange my dates via e-mail. I would exchange phone numbers if the man insisted on it---but only to reach me in the event that there was a change of plans.

This is me completely. There was another thread about talking on the phone first before meeting, and lot of women despise having to do so. I am one of them. We arrange the date via messages on POF and we may exchange phone numbers in case one of us needs to cancel, but I will NEVER call a man if he gives me his number, unless I have to cancel our meetup at the last minute.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2012 4:02:39 PM
Wow, I'm honestly surprised some women "detest" talking on the phone, and I'm guessing that some is more than I could have ever imagined. So what happens if you meet and the guy sounds like a neutered Pewee Herman high on Twinkies?

I don't text and I'm not a fan of incessant e-mails either. For the women that don't like/want to talk on the phone how much correspondence and knowledge exhange should we aniticpate you expecting before we can ask to get beyond these two dimensions here?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/8/2012 6:09:01 PM

so you can have his personal information but he can't have yours??? that is very one sided

Welcome to a mans world.

I do understand the need for security, and am ok with that, but let's not pretend to be anywhere near this magical mythical thing called: "equality".
 tgrlily3
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/8/2012 7:57:44 PM
Guys always give me their number, I never ask for it.
I think once, I gave a guy my number, just to see if he was messing with me and he was, I never heard from him.

Apparently, I'm one odd duck, I don't mind calling them or texting guys first.
 RufioJ
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/8/2012 9:50:17 PM

Wow, I'm honestly surprised some women "detest" talking on the phone, and I'm guessing that some is more than I could have ever imagined. So what happens if you meet and the guy sounds like a neutered Pewee Herman high on Twinkies?

the responses in this thread are ridiculously ironic, since other females in these forums basically call guys who text instead of call "cowards" and that texting is lazy and impersonal. I can personally attest to the fact that many females, especially those in their 20s, literally do not respond to calls, do not check voice mail but will respond to texts. I call and leave messages, no reply, but lo and behold if I text, i will get a response.
 RushLuv
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/8/2012 10:37:50 PM
There is no way I could meet a man without hearing his voice beforehand. I think it's absurd, and stupid to not at least have one phone call to get a bit of a feel of the other person before meeting.

I stopped issuing out my number a long time ago, and block my number when I call.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Asking for number vs giving number