Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 1
Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
There really is no way to look for matches based on intelligence and interest in philosophy on this site. I hope people will use this forum to find others that are interested in conversation and inquiry. Primarily concerning philosophy/determinism.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.
Posted: 9/8/2012 7:16:59 AM
A couple of things. Obviously, you need to read about how to adjust your picture so that you don't appear to be imitating a human fly. In addition, you need to read the Help/Suggestions section, and the Forum Rules in order to realize things like that this post breaks the rules.

In short, no you can't search directly for gals with a philosophical bent, but you DEFINITELY can't troll for them by posting something like this.
 windchymes
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2012 8:34:48 AM
I have a philosophical bent in my neck now, does that count ;)
 earthlingsRevenge
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/8/2012 8:40:49 AM

There really is no way to look for matches based on intelligence and interest in philosophy on this site. I hope people will use this forum to find others that are interested in conversation and inquiry. Primarily concerning philosophy/determinism.

On POF? Good luck.
You have better chances of getting hit by lighting twice at the same spot.
Or winning mega million lottery twice in a row.
 DameWrite
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2012 12:25:24 PM
If you have philosophy typed in your interests and you click on it, others who have listed philosophy in their interests they will turn up in a search.

Interests must be separated by comma. I click on some of mine and it works.

p.s. Turn your pic!
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/8/2012 5:33:29 PM
Why, if this sites primary purpose is dating, would you make a rule that prevents you form using the tools provided for that purpose? You must have a great deal of free time in order to search forms for violations. It’s true that I made the post for my own selfish purpose but I can see its potential benefits to a great many users.
 windchymes
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2012 6:01:37 PM
See Message #5 again, she told you exactly how to use one of the tools.

The site's software matches people, in part, according to the interests listed in the "Interests" section of your profile. If you put "philosophy" or "philosophic discussions" in your list of interests, (along with "long walks on the beach", "dining out", and "hiking and biking") :) it will attempt to match you up with women who also have those in their lists of interests.

And now that I have looked at your profile, I see that you have done that :) Good luck!
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/8/2012 6:23:41 PM
I didn't think determinism could be labeled an interest. lol
Posted: 9/8/2012 11:52:30 PM

I didn't think determinism could be labeled an interest. lol

Hey, I have "blah blah blah" in my list of interests. And it's even clickable. So go for it already man.
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/9/2012 1:18:47 AM
Hay Drink, I was just on your thread. Good stuff, other than the few dumb dumbs at the start.
Posted: 9/9/2012 1:53:24 PM
What thread? Speculations? It's really strange to me that people get into that subject so much in other threads, but almost no one wants to, or able to, talk seriously about IT in particular. If we talked about that part more, that would help the other threads or subjects.
 RyanReed
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/11/2012 4:41:50 PM
advanced search > interests > philosophy.

Done.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/15/2012 2:21:59 AM
When people list an interest, it appears as a blue link. Try it out.

You'll find a list of all the other members who listed that interest. I find this particularly fascinating for very obscure or specific ones.

Oh, and memorize this song if you haven't already, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY (Chicks dig Monty Python...don't they?)

Hope that helps.
 Walley7
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/22/2012 5:10:42 AM
It would be nice to somehow be able to narrow the market down in this regard... but meh, what can ya do. I find most 'philosophical' talk borderline stupid too, so I'm ****ed up the creek without a rudder lol.

I mean the end road, for anyone who really truly honestly pushes themselves to understand things, is realising the whole attempt is a farce, that all the talking about it is just farting around, and that it leads *nowhere*. But everyone else is so busy doing it that you yourself become utterly alone.

That's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and it's a pretty shitty one lol.
 NorseGeek
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/22/2012 7:21:25 AM
So, I have Philosophy listed as an interest - I clicked on it. Got about 10 matches from all over the country - though it listed 30 pages, but each page had the same people!

I was a Philosophy/Mathematics major - mostly for logic. But epistimology distracted me into Social/Political and Ethics where my real interest is. My ex-wife is a PhD in Ethics, but she isn't on here, any more.

There are NO people left in this country who even know what Philosophy is. That's why you can't find a girl.
 Jonathan.Hillebrand
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/13/2012 5:14:44 PM
I agree completely with Walley, I just wish I could find someone to be alone with me.  Looks like I will have to be gay though because the few people who are interested in philosophy and aren’t completely full of shit are dudes… I hate thinking about how my thoughts are only the result of an extremely complex interaction of atoms and subatomic particles. Completely determined by physics (not the human understanding but the actual rules whatever they may be)
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/13/2012 11:38:43 PM

reality is equally important, that might be what you really need,
life could be great even with someones plain, casual...
 kyaeger72
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/12/2012 10:01:33 AM
hey i was a philosophy major in college, i'm kinda rusty tho, imma read up on determinism and get back to you.
 kyaeger72
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/12/2012 10:22:28 AM
so i believe in free will to an exstent but i feel like the determinism question is something to waste your time with, cuz you'll never know.
 lukecash12
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2012 1:31:34 PM
So, I have Philosophy listed as an interest - I clicked on it. Got about 10 matches from all over the country - though it listed 30 pages, but each page had the same people!

I was a Philosophy/Mathematics major - mostly for logic. But epistimology distracted me into Social/Political and Ethics where my real interest is. My ex-wife is a PhD in Ethics, but she isn't on here, any more.

There are NO people left in this country who even know what Philosophy is. That's why you can't find a girl.

Precisely. All philosophy means any more to people is opinionated arguing. It's been a long time since I've gone the rounds with someone who had read Plato's dialogues, let alone someone caught up with modern names like Putnam, Kripke, Wittgenstein, etc.

It's interesting that you're so into epistemology. I'm into modal and propositional logic, so epistemology is one of my main areas of focus. Not so much into possible worlds semantics, as I am just into using simple equations to draw all of the inferences. Modus ponens, tollens, non excipiens... can get boring, because that only leaves you with simple conditionals.
 4simba
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/20/2012 7:43:53 PM
Haa haa haa!!! So true, I must commend you too for I have been wondering where the men with brains are :(
 Noskodania
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:02:13 AM
Philosophy is the study of reality, an interpretation thereof, and a basis for bringing reality into being.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2012 12:13:49 PM
If I could find a good looking woman that reasoned with plausible premises within sound syllogisms I'd be a lot happier than I am. She'd have to be able to throw a diamond [hitch] too though.
Posted: 11/28/2012 3:58:05 PM
But...like...heh...seriously...

...look how short this thread is. And how old it is compared to the length. What comes to my mind is how so many women's profiles say something about finding a real man or "where's all the real men", or finding a 'normal' guy or "where's the normal guys at", or "are there any good one's left"...ugh. Just makes me want to say "ugh" a second time. Is it that women on single's sites don't seem to know a good, normal, or real man if he bites them on the butt, or is it that stuff like science or philosophy really IS just a 'man' thing. That must be it, because you don't often hear a female called a nerd or geek, which is what you run the risk of being stigmatized as if you show any intelligence during social interaction. And of course, it's women who buy into the bizarre idea that a guy isn't attractive or tough if he happens to be interested in philosophy or science. Why do so few of them see how self-defeating that all is?
Posted: 11/29/2012 5:00:02 PM
I must ammend my last post. I'd figured out part of the problem with finding women who're able to discuss things "scientifically" or "philosophically", I just forgot that I did.

Take a glance at any of the threads in which people butt heads on any subject between science and religion. Every once in a while someone reveals that they're feeling personally insulted and attacked (and of course some of them are sometimes, because it just can't be avoided with the worst ones) and they accuse someone on the "science side" or non-religious side of being smug, arrogant, judgemental, intolerant, and blah blah blah. So, here's the deal - women (just a bit more than men, for some odd reason) take it personal and just can't handle having their opinions or way of thinking doubted and questioned. They (not all, or course, by far) can't seem to comprehend the act of thinking in a responsible manner, and therefore having a discussion in such a way, and/or they feel like a man is "attacking" them if he's "smart" and wants to take any discussion to the proper depth and into the proper direction.

Watch a thread about women having trouble with the ridiculous issue of bad boys versus nice guys, and not feeling chemistry with the nice guy, and you might have to think of the right episodes of that ridiculous T.V. show "the big bang theory", whose unrealistic caracatures don't help the situation any.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Males looking for females interested in discussing philosophy.