Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > OK, what do you do when.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 freemind
Msg: 4
OK, what do you do when.....Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I made a spoof ad for Jeffrey Dalmher a while back and my sister thought it was so funny that she made a compatible profile and messaged me. What was disturbing was that her profile was Male seeking another Male and she actually got message from Men seeking Women, some were even married that wanted to meet her profile.

Just goes to show you, there's a lot of freaks out there and this guy sounds like potential... it's really smart of women not to give out their phone numbers too...
 Ticketoride
Msg: 8
OK, what do you do when.....
Posted: 11/9/2004 7:12:18 PM
Use a Calling Card from a reputable Provider. Until you actually decide to meet him, it might be best if only you initiate the call, and in this way you don't have to give out your number.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/10/2004 7:25:01 PM
Excellent Point, Lyon Angel!

Many, if not most private & personal Databases have been compromised because the Sale of these is big Business. Routine "Accidents" in Firewalls guarantee you haven't got the faintest Clue who has your personal Info on you nowadays.

Any Phone Number can now be used in all probablity to flush out just about every Detail of anyone's Life.

Both RevCan & IRS Employees for instance have been caught & charged selling confidential Taxpayer Records to Marketing Firms.

Any Phone Number will usually show up, depending on the Cellular Phone Plan of the Party you called, on their monthly billing Statement, even if you have it set to block your ID.

My Cel Phone for instance, records the numerical digital information of any incoming calls, and it matters not if you or your Phone Company have Call ID Blocking.

Even a Phone Card Number can be traced. But such Info is useless because no records exist that tie YOU to the Phone Number.
 knight2016
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2004 3:35:47 AM

Oh boy, on-line dating is getting scary.

Yep. It's getting almost as scary as off-line dating.

I'm sure you weren't intending it this way, but I'll just take this opportunity to say:
You can meet freaks and weirdos off line just as easily as on-line. I think internet dating gets a bad rap sometimes.

Any way. Just felt like tossing that in there.
 Spirited_Wolf
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/13/2004 5:38:58 AM
- call your telephone company - telling them about the offensive calls - they will put a block on that number and in some areas they have a police block too - so check into that via your telephone company - tell them that you are really scared etc... you are unsure about this person etc etc ....

- also you do a search on your telephone number on the net - everyone can do this - especially those in the usa.... - and when your number does come up - find the contact number for the places that you find your number address etc ... it will take a few days but when you request your number to be taken off - its done ... but you have to keep checking to make sure they do it within the time they say they are going to do it ....
make sure your number is unlisted will also help you out - some areas offer a fee - but its worth it .... seeing as though many people pay more in cigarettes and coffee a month, so why not be safe via the telephone service ....

-when using email services - dont put your real name etc on them in your profile - it says to do that - but just think of all the predators out there that the FBI are shutting down who have profiles just for kids .... - put a fake name so that at least when its searched the junk pops up and not the real you - and any hacker can find a back door to hotmail etc ....
 Spirited_Wolf
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/13/2004 6:03:08 AM
emailed you with info. and hope it helps
 knight2016
Msg: 23
view profile
History
You should not talk to strange men...
Posted: 11/14/2004 9:37:22 AM
I saw a tip in the help section. If you add each other to favorites, you can by-pass the restrictions, but keep them in place for others.
 the_big_bad_wolf
Msg: 24
You should not talk to strange men...
Posted: 11/14/2004 9:48:35 AM
NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR ## doesnt matter who! get his # and if your interested you will call! in this day and age you can never know someone so be carefull and play it smart!
 catchmeifucan
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/24/2004 6:34:46 AM
Look , if he can't take it in the polite way, do it the hard way, meet him up and beating him to death, atleast you will know that you are rid of him for good (just kidding, would that be manslaughter? you would claim self defence, lol, lol).
It's like the weird ones just stand there and wait for you, hope you are not like some girls i know, always managing to attract the weird people. What would life be without them
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > OK, what do you do when.....