Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I feel really stupid for not walking my date to her car. Should I ap      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chay216
Msg: 1
I feel really stupid for not walking my date to her car. Should I apologize?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
It was our second date and we ended the night watching a movie at my apartment. I gave her a hug and kiss and she left. I just saw her leave the front entrance since i live on the first floor but I didn't walk her out. It was late too like midnight.
 Janet_Always
Msg: 2
I feel really stupid for not walking my date to her car. Should I apologize?
Posted: 9/9/2012 2:54:12 PM
Yeah, even I walk people to their car when they leave my home.

Not because I think they need me to watch over them, it just feels like the hospitable thing to do.

Don't sweat it. Next time, you'll do it.

vv I already said "don't sweat it". That means no apology necessary.
 Chay216
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/9/2012 2:56:52 PM
Think I should just let it go and just remember to do it next time? or should i text her "sorry for not walking you to your car last night, that was rude of me."
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 3:14:12 PM
when was this???

and yea... it is manners to walk anyone who comes to your home to their car....

I would call her and see if she wants to see you again... if she does... then make brief conversation about how you should have done that... I am not sure it would be a deal breaker if you didn't walk me to my car.... hence the reason I wouldn't bring it up until you know she wants to see you again...
 Chay216
Msg: 5
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 3:17:02 PM
then call her... tell her you had a good time (if you did) and see if she wants to see you again... if you don't want to see her again... then don't worry about it... it really isn't the worst thing someone can do...
 annywn
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/9/2012 3:29:21 PM
It would be a nice gesture to acknowledge that. I'm sure she would be impressed that you cared enough regarding her personal safety. Ist dates can be awkward, so I bet she'll be understanding.:)
 justlookingvt
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/9/2012 4:01:44 PM
this is what you do.... turn the mistake to your advantage... .

You call her... you tell her... "we have to have another date because the last time you were here I was so fascinated with you, I failed to walk you to your car. I'm sure you understand this is a mistake I must correct. How about Friday and Saturday night ? to ensure I never make that mistake again " :-)

Don't apologize... shamelessly use your mistake to your advantage.
 Maleman999
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/9/2012 6:03:01 PM
Next time, tell her she can park her car in your living room so she won't have far to go to get to her car.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2012 9:55:55 PM
Call me old fashion but I'd walk any woman out to her car whether she be the maid, an older woman or a date.

Yes, let her know that you were remiss in not doing this. It will show class. Women like to know that you care and find them special. I like the approach mentioned above that you were a bit overwhelmed by the moment and were not thinking straight.
 brisco414
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/10/2012 7:34:03 PM
Really nice suggestion from Msg. 8 minus the "not apologizing". It couldn't hurt to throw that out as well.
 patrick28t
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/10/2012 9:45:19 PM
Apologizing is lame.

Basically, I agree with abelian.

Besides, what happened on the first date, I doubt she even had second thoughts over not being walked.
 spiffykatt
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 9/11/2012 2:57:07 AM
cardinal sin.i think you should buy her a car to make ammends lol:)seriously though,just let her know her mere presence and overall awesomeness caused temporary brain fuzz.you seem like a thoughtful guy.its how u treat her overall that will show youre a considerate and caring soul.
 c_deacon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2012 1:18:06 PM
So OP.....it was to late for you to walk out, but fine for her to walk out, and to her car alone? Somehow this just seems plain lazy and rude to me. I always think you should walk females to their car if they made an effort to see you in their vehicle. Does not matter if on a date, in a parking lot, bar, or even your home.....taking the time to show her the care and respect a male should for a female, is the only way.

I would apologize to her by making sure that you walk her to her care, her door, her anything and any place that you two are together and one of you will be heading out alone. Show her with actions, not words!!

cd
 NarcissusTemple
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/12/2012 2:33:51 PM
Next time, tell her she can park her car in your living room so she won't have far to go to get to her car.

Or ask her if you can park your car in her garage. Nudge nudge. Wink wink. Know what I mean?

(I know you're gone, OP, but maybe you're peering in from your second profile and can still pick up a few good hints.)
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/12/2012 5:19:07 PM
Ehhh, why not just keep make sure you do it next time instead of going to apologize for that little mishap. Don't make a big issue out this. just do better next time.
 OutMind
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/14/2012 1:05:11 PM
You screwed up big time. Life is over. You should not only apologize but promise to buy her a brand new car, pay her insurance, her phone bill, and tell her that you love her and can't live without her.

(Silence)

Or you act like nothing happened. Next time, you walked her, and when you star getting serious, you tell her how when you started dating you were worried about her being safe and decided from there on to walk her to her car.

She will say how sweet, and confess that it bothered her a little but you turned out be alright.
 MetalVixxn
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2012 2:10:35 PM
I'd mention to her that you're sorry you didn't walk her out.
I was on the fence about a guy once and one night after leaving his house he didn't walk me to my car which was down the street and around the corner. It just totally turned me off that he couldn't be bothered to make sure I got to my car safely. Plus it was really cold and I'm sure he didn't want to put on shoes or a jacket. I decided not to see him again after that. Yes, there were other reasons I didn't want to date him, but that definitely was one of them.
 Maleman999
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/14/2012 5:06:01 PM
This business of a guy walking a female to her car has to be taken on a girl by girl basis. Some women who are feminists might be offended if you tried that. They think you view them as inferior beings who are helpless and aren't able to find their car on their own. Other women think it's the proper thing to do. You don't which category this girl falls in. She might think you did the proper thing by not treating her like a helpless child. Or she might of wanted you to walk her to her car. Contrary to what women believe, men are not mind readers. Communication is the key.
Posted: 9/14/2012 6:02:40 PM
Well put!! If you want to see her again, do just what justlookingvt said!! If you feel you need some type of apology, I like his way of putting it to use. I can tell you, if she's interested, she will remember THAT more than she would ever remember your slight gaff on the first date!!
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/15/2012 9:29:52 AM

" ... I gave her a hug and kiss and she left. I just saw her leave the front entrance since i live on the first floor but I didn't walk her out. It was late too like midnight. ...

You probably shouldn't count on seeing her again. She may not say anything about it - and you probably won't bring it up - but she'll remember it forever ... and she should.

You say it was after MIDNIGHT - and you still let her walk alone to her car. Okay, I don't know the area, the crime rate, etc etc etc, but simple civility and concern for her well-being are reason enough to walk her to her car. I'll wager that 'second date' = 'last date' in her mind. Dude, laziness is NOT its own reward ... but you'll learn that chastity is its own punishment. You should be not only embarrassed, but ashamed.
 AxeMurderer75
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/16/2012 12:49:53 AM
Okay, what you did wasn't great, but it isn't really all that bad. Next time, do it right. Yes, apologize, because it's not how you normally act.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/16/2012 6:01:34 AM
Did you text her that night to see if she made it home safely? If so, no harm, no foul. If not, you blew it.

Or ask her if you can park your car in her garage.

Just remember to get your time card punched. You don't want to have to pay for a full day's parking.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/16/2012 6:31:16 AM
Yes, you should apologize. I hate the dark, I would have been kinda spooked walking to my car alone, & it would give me the impression that you don't care about me or my safety. But, you see when you are in the wrong & when you make a mistake, & this is a very good quality, that many ppl don't have.
Apologize & give her some fowers, they don't have to be expensive, & always walk her to her car in the future.
 lotustemple
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/16/2012 2:20:05 PM

I'd mention to her that you're sorry you didn't walk her out.
I was on the fence about a guy once and one night after leaving his house he didn't walk me to my car which was down the street and around the corner. It just totally turned me off that he couldn't be bothered to make sure I got to my car safely. Plus it was really cold and I'm sure he didn't want to put on shoes or a jacket. I decided not to see him again after that. Yes, there were other reasons I didn't want to date him, but that definitely was one of them.

Yep dealbreaker for me too unless he called the next day to say sorry. Make light of it, keep your voice light and don't linger by changing the subject as soon as you apologize for having been oblivious and that will never happen again. Easy one just call right now do not wait.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I feel really stupid for not walking my date to her car. Should I apologize?