Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Life changing moments - what's yours?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bmore_goat
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Life changing moments - what's yours?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was 17 back in 1977, starting my last year in high school. I had no direction on what to do with my life. I thought being black from an inner city school left me with little prospects of a fruitful future.
But a young 22 year old black woman came to speak at my high school. She was the first black and female new reader in my city of Baltimore.
I was so impressed with her. She was only 22 and a news reader on a major television network. I thought realistically I had a shot at something great also. Gave me a real positive boost with my motivation in life.
I was a straight A student and had goals in life after that. Her speech that day still rings in my head 35 years later.

BTW, the woman was Oprah Winfrey.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Life changing moments - what's yours?
Posted: 9/17/2012 3:24:50 PM
I can only tell you what I've experienced myself. I can tell you growing up in a inner city, I was 6'6 in high school.
Several people, adults and peers told me the ONLY way I can get ahead in life was to play sports. I was...ok in sports, nothing special, but I was really smart in maths. However, being tall and black, I was told I would not get anywhere other than in sport.
I did everything to prove everyone wrong. I joined the miltary, used the GI bill to pay for my college and got my programming degree. And yes, I had to blow a lot of perceptions. No one could believe 6'6 black kid from the inner city knew how to program in Unix or C++.
So it is what it is.
We all like to think everyone thinks everyone is on an even keel whenit come to life opportunities.
But the reality is some folks do have to work harder than others just to be even.
It not just a racial thing either. I've seen men treat women like crap and make them work harder than the other men just to get the respect.
 FFS38
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:52:02 PM
'When my son/daughter was born' , when a close friend/relative died.... errr, when my pet guinea pig/dog/sheep passed away. Am seeing a pattern here, too many cliches, lol.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 10:41:08 PM
I`d have to say that would be about 10-11 years ago when i contracted meningitis, oddly, even though it almost killed me, it infact saved my life, as , when they scanned me, when i was well enough, that was when they found the "shadow" on the scan pic`s,

7 operations over the following 6 years, been "clear for about 3 yrs or so now, i think thats a good example of luck hahaha :O)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Life changing moments - what's yours?