Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Partitioning a Disk using Window 7      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 1
Partitioning a Disk using Window 7Page 1 of 1    
I am computer competent rather than confident but my new laptop is running Windows 7 instead of the Vista which I'm more familiar with....

I normally partition my disk so that the Program Files are all on the C:/ drive and my personal files are on whatever the partitioned section of the disk happens to be named. I just find it easier in terms of backing up or if an upgrade is released which conflicts with other software, it's easier to roll back to before the upgrade. But, I cannot see how to partition the disk using Windows 7.

Anyone know ?

I'm fairly sure the spec is irrelevant but this is a Samsung 350V5C-s01 with 3rd generation i5, 8GB memory. If any more information is needed, let me know.
 Googleplus
Msg: 2
Partitioning a Disk using Window 7
Posted: 9/17/2012 3:12:54 PM
Are you saying you have more than one hard drive? Or did you partition one hard drive with 2 different partitions. If you are doing an actual upgrade it can cause problems. I suggest you do a clean install, before you do that though you will want to backup all your important files. As for partitioning with windows 7 here is a site with instructions. I haven't used windows for ages so I don't know if this will work but it should.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/17/2012 3:28:58 PM
You could partition during a win 7 install.

If you have an unpartitioned area you right click on my computer on the desktop. click on manage. Then disk management.

If you want to reallocate space you need a package like partition magic although there are free tool to do that also.

But you dont need to do any of that crap. Just backup your user files. All your pics/docs and stuff are all stored under your user within the c:\Users directory.

Backups are easy.

Cowboy
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/17/2012 4:01:28 PM

Googleplus ]Are you saying you have more than one hard drive? Or did you partition one hard drive with 2 different partitions.

I have one hard drive but I normally partition it into two. In doing so, the partitioning software renames part of what was the original C: drive and renames it D: or E: or whatever is available on that particular machine.

Appreciate the link - I'll have a look.

*Cowboy* You could partition during a win 7 install.

Windows 7 was pre-loaded.

If you have an unpartitioned area you right click on my computer on the desktop. click on manage. Then disk management.

Thanks - I knew there was a simple trick but it's been years since I had a new laptop to set up and I couldn't remember/figure out what I needed to do.

Backups are easy.

I understand backups are easy but I tend to partition my hard drive to keep files separate from software.
I have a lot of business files on my laptop, contracts,accounts, advertising, plus the usual tax information (being self-employed I have to keep 7 years in case of audit). I have found in the past that sometimes, when running a software update, conflicts occur with other software and this results in the need to roll back to a previous date in time where the software was more stable. Even if that's as little as a week earlier, the changes in my business files can be huge and of course, I lose the latest work with a roll back.
I have found that by partitioning my hard drive, I can then back up my personal files separately from my software files and therefore, when a software upgrade/update isn't working or is more bug riddled than helpful, my data files are unaffected because it's a separate backup and therefore a separate re-install/roll back. I don't lose a weeks worth of information on my data/personal files.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/17/2012 4:12:04 PM
I just think backing up your user files to another device is the best solution. external hard drives are very reasonably priced anymore and remove almost all chance of not recovering stuff as long as you have a reasonable backup strategy in place.

slap in an external USB hard drive and backup your user files. Its really the best solution and you dont need to repartition the drive to do this. But then again I dont use the manufactures restore tools to slap a factory copy of windows from Dell or whoever and all the crapware they install either. If I have to reinstall windows 7 I use windows 7 dvd's and do a clean install without all the junk they include and that wont lose any user data either.

Cowboy
 Googleplus
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/17/2012 4:32:25 PM
I agree with cowboy. Actually you need 3 copies. One off site backup. One original and one on site backup. You can use external usb, usb flash drive. I see it's a laptop. If you're going to buy extra hard drive stay away from western digital they are usually junk.

I understand backups are easy but I tend to partition my hard drive to keep files separate from software.
I have a lot of business files on my laptop, contracts,accounts, advertising, plus the usual tax information (being self-employed I have to keep 7 years in case of audit).

Really bad idea if the hard drive fails and you can't get the data you're practically screwed unless you want to spend thousands of dollars to get it recovered by a professional.
 gentleplus
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2012 5:14:56 PM
As others have said... Cowboy said it best... partition as a data security option is A VERY BAD IDEA.....
Both external HDD and DVD media is the best choice for records.... and if you REALLY need archive data be sure to get actual GOLD plated CD/DVDs... usually about $5 each... the normal ones are silver plated and will age and corrode with corruption eventually... just like silverware does
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/17/2012 5:27:48 PM
Plan B then. LOL
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/17/2012 5:53:59 PM

Plan B then. LOL
We love ya UK but your idea of a "safety net" was full of big holes. (wink)

Cowboy
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/18/2012 3:15:19 AM

your idea of a "safety net" was full of big holes. (wink)

LOL - That's why I came here for help. I don't know what I don't know but I do know when it comes to computers, what I don't know is a lot of don't know !
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Partitioning a Disk using Window 7