Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > picture safeguarding      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FlaxenBlonde
Msg: 4
view profile
History
picture safeguardingPage 1 of 1    
I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but you can take action to protect yourself.

Using a watermark is a great idea UNLESS someone has the software to remove it such as We PDF Watermark Remover (WePDF). With WePDF a person can remove any embedded image and text from PDF files, such as Logo, Watermark, Stamp, and Signature.

You can research the internet for the laws where you live concerning unauthorized use of your personal photos.
For instance, here is what I found on the “Nolo” website: (pay especial attention to the first & last paragraphs involving invasion of privacy & defamation )
***********************************************************************************************
Question:
What rights does a person have if their picture was taken and then posted to an Internet website without permission? Is the person entitled to any of the website's profit? Can the person sue if the picture was uncomplimentary?

Answer:
You can stop a website's use of your image for three reasons: invasion of privacy, violation of right of publicity, or defamation.

Invasion of privacy can occur if you are portrayed falsely and in a highly offensive manner. For example, your photo was posted at America's Most Wanted's website, and you are not wanted -- by the law. Your privacy may also be invaded if the photo was taken by someone who intruded on you in a situation in which you had a reasonable expectation of privacy -- for example, in your own home. It is not an invasion of privacy to photograph someone in a public place or at any event where the public is invited.

Another reason to stop the use is known as the right of publicity. This occurs if your image is used for commercial purposes such as to sell products or to imply that you endorse a product. If the photo is used in a commercial website -- that is, one sponsored by a business or that sells products or services -- the unauthorized use of your image would probably violate your right of publicity. The public must be able to identify you in the photograph.

You can also stop the website use if the photo defames you -- that is, it creates a false impression and injures your reputation. For example, it would be defamatory to doctor a photo to make it seem as if you were shoplifting. The fact that an unmodified photo is unflattering is not enough to claim defamation. The photo must falsely portray you and must cause people in the community to think less of you.

Contact the website where your photos are being used without your permission. Ask for them to be taken down & threaten legal action if they don’t. Also, I’d report this to the authorities where you live & see if the individual can be prosecuted. The IP address for the computer used to post your photos (without your permission) can easily be determined & the identity of the responsible person discovered for prosecution. Contact an attorney if you can't get this taken care of by yourself.
 FlaxenBlonde
Msg: 7
view profile
History
picture safeguarding
Posted: 9/18/2012 9:18:12 AM
Indeed Norsewind, I agree that, other than US federal statutes, the law may vary from state to state here in the US. Obviously, it varies from country to country. That is why I said:

You can research the internet for the laws where you live concerning unauthorized use of your personal photos.

There are now a number of international laws between countries concerning internet fraud/theft, etc. She simply needs to speak to someone locally to determine the best recourse if she so desires.
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 10
view profile
History
picture safeguarding
Posted: 9/18/2012 4:00:16 PM
I would expect most sites to be very cooperative – fake profiles are bad for them and for their reputation, as well as bad for you, so they will gain by taking them down.
 Strider886
Msg: 12
view profile
History
picture safeguarding
Posted: 9/18/2012 4:40:27 PM
Your picture wasn't stolen.......

You've unwittingly signed up to a dishonest dating website and that site has duplicated your profile across it's sister sites.

You see, they may have 20 different dating websites, varying from "normal" dating to all sorts of weird stuff, they pool in all the profiles together so that each site has a large number of members to attract new members with.
They use women's profiles to bait in men, who then pay a fee to contact all these women, but these women never respond. Sometimes the sites staff will lead on guys using these duped profiles, to get as much money as possible from them......

The worrying thing is that i've known women get approached by guys they've never met, who have seen them on some dodgy swingers site.
 terminal-velocity
Msg: 14
view profile
History
picture safeguarding
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:31:57 AM
gosh little rainbow, having read this thread it is alarming stuff! i am glad that you have sorted it out. might i make a recommendation, that you post yourself with private images, that way noone will be able to steal your photos, or rather only the people you have contacted would be able to.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > picture safeguarding