Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 phoenix_55
Msg: 1
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
One of my co-workers just got engaged. Well, her boyfriend finally got tired of listening to her complain about how old she's getting (she's 44) so I think he bought the ring to shut her up. I don't much care for her and usually avoid her and her drama. She's kind of a golddigger. Her boyfriend is a really nice guy, but definitely can't afford a 5-6 carat diamond like she was hoping for. So she shows up to work the other day with a huge rock on her left hand -- apparently thrilled to death that her "cheap-ass boyfriend" finally caved. Right away, my other co-worker says "Are you sure it's real?" The newly-engaged girl looks horrified at the thought, turns ghostly white and says "I'm gonna find out." So she goes to a jeweler at lunch and guess what? It's FAKE. It's beautiful, but it's not a real diamond. I'm afraid she'll whoop the poor guy's butt.

I wasn't going to offer any advice, but she asked me what I thought. And I told her I thought she should keep her mouth shut and try to be happy she's got a decent man who cares about her (although God only knows why).

I was just wondering if anyone else would go have the diamond checked, or just be happy with what you got? I think it would be so tacky to have it checked, but that's just me.
 playfulpete
Msg: 2
Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...
Posted: 9/19/2012 2:57:06 PM
It is tacky,he should run and run very fast and far
 laskoboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 3:00:56 PM
My husband and I just got bands.........
no need for a rock... I have lots of really nice rocks already and quite a lot of jewelery.
The bands were to symbolize our marriage, not for show off.

I would probably have a giant rock checked should husband ever buy me one, for appraisal purposes.

he did give me a loose diamond I had made into a ring, but it is not an actual wedding or engagament ring.
I like the band....... its no fuss. It easy to wear and keep up... no fear of losing it.

Husband buys me lots of rocks in the form of earrings, bracelets, etc....
does not make me a gold digger to have a husband who wants to buy me nice things and is not a loser and cheap.. lol

Sounds like your friend has the wrong man... if she wants a show offy life, she should upgrade to a wealthy man and not try to get blood out of a turnip.
 knotme
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/19/2012 3:03:30 PM
i don't know if it is tacky to give a fake diamond or check if it is real... but sounds like they are a match
 PeneopDreamwevr
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/19/2012 3:07:47 PM
I'd be ecstatic if my guy bought me a ring. Real or not. I'd be happy if I got flowers. Even one picked from my neighbors rose-bush. LOL But to each his own.
 flaneur001
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 3:12:42 PM
I would never accept blood diamonds.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:09:13 PM
she wants what he can't afford to give.
he wants to make her happy by providing a fake representation of happiness.
i find the irony to not only be delicious, but an appropriate display of the quality of their relationship.
congratulations to the happy couple. LMAO, wallow in it you morons.
 Random_geek_01
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:11:06 PM
well, some people don't realize what a good thing they have until it's gone... and it kind of grinds my gears that people are like that
 Fleuron
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:33:55 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else would go have the diamond checked, or just be happy with what you got? I think it would be so tacky to have it checked, but that's just me.

I wouldn’t have an engagement ring appraised….and I wouldn’t pressure my man into giving me one, either.
I agree...tacky.

Apparently she doesn’t realize what’s really worthless is demanding something that should be given freely.

I doubt you'll be able to get through to her, OP. She sounds like a horrible person.
 Dolphina
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:50:02 PM
Seems the golddigger got what she deserved. The boyfriend - instead of playing along - should stand up and say he's not interested in being with her. Both seem to deserve each other. The hunter after wealth and the hunted playing along, but not delivering.
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:57:24 PM

?!?!?
Yes. Of course. You need an appraisal of any items for which you may have an insurance rider.

Seriously ... People don't get jewelry appraisals? Precious metals have gone up so much.
 Walts
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:57:31 PM

I would never accept blood diamonds.

And I,personally would never give one. Surprisingly, not one person has commented on this statement. Don't know what it means????? Or really they don't care?????? Either/or, I agree with Flaneur.
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:57:34 PM
Ehh, from a dude's perspective her obsession with quality jewels shows something about her character. Also while she complains about her bf, she is still with him. Also, while it sounds like you dislike her....you don't know how she acts around her bf.

With all the said, her disatisfaction is well her own. It sounds like you are look for justification of disliking her.
 scottey63
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 4:59:21 PM
If I was involved with someone and I felt the need to do something to "shut her up", I'd break up with her. I wouldn't buy her a ring, real or fake. I wonder what he sees in her to put up with that crap. I'd rather be alone.
 laskoboo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:03:23 PM

Any decent diamond will come with a certificate and have a id number on the diamond itself.

not true... many diamonds are family heirlooms... mine cut diamonds...
I doubt any of the royal gems came with a certificate and ID number except an id number as to
account for them in the lot.

People I know with large diamonds have inheirited them from generations back... biggest 5 carats
and they NEVER wear them !
haha

how shocking some of you say you would not get the ring appraised !
guess you would not be insuring it either !
 Debyduz_
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:07:52 PM
I had the opposite problem with last bf. I told him a 5000 diamond would be stupid.
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:09:02 PM
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/frontline-the-diamond-empire/

Documentary on Diamonds.. the truth.

I have a few diamonds.. but I dont go overboard especially after seeing this video.

I say marry someone because you love them not what they can buy you.
Diamonds have lost their allure to me because of this show mostly.
 five-marie
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:42:17 PM
To me, especially in this situation, it is the thought that counts. Which means I'd sooner have a chip of a diamond than a fake one. I work with women who went out and bought themselves fake diamonds much bigger than their original engagement ring. I always look at them confused, how could this possibly be better than the original given with love?
He obviously felt/knew that anything smaller would not be acceptable. Sad.
Man I dated was always giving me cheap used jewellery from the thrift store, I am certainly not a materialistic golddigger but I was less than impressed.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:50:56 PM
~OT~ It's interesting to me that no one has mentioned insuring the diamond. Anyone who's had expensive jewelry in their possession likely would agree, having our jewelry insured is not only common, it's the smart thing to do. Therefor, I'd likely have requested him to take it to an appraiser and then we'd have purchased insurance. I certainly wouldn't have checked to see if it's real because I don't think like that, but I would have likely been stunned if he came home and confessed it wasn't. Not because I require monstrous rocks and/or expensive jewels, rather because I think it's snaky for anyone to try to pass off something as genuine when they know for a fact it isn't (and this includes things other than jewelry for me, right down the line into emotions. Anything fake is just that to me ~ fake.) JMO
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:52:59 PM
As an insurance agent...
If I were given an heirloom ring, I'd have it appraised for the insurance to put it on a jewelry rider or a separate personal articles policy. Your basic homeowners or renters insurance policy is not going to cover that nice piece of jewelry.

Ditto for a new ring - which, as Abelian said, should come with a certificate - if it doesn't, I'd have to wonder why not, and I'd get the ring appraised for the insurance.

I also would not want a blood diamond, but there are non-conflict diamonds available on the market.
 Fleuron
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/19/2012 5:54:37 PM

how shocking some of you say you would not get the ring appraised !
guess you would not be insuring it either !

Oh, come on. The point of the appraising was to find out if the boyfriend was a cheapskate, not to have it insured.

HE can have it insured, ya know.

Who the hell wants to know how much their man paid for their engagement ring? Do people look up the cost of Christmas presents, too, to find out how much their relatives love them? EYEROLL. Greedy greedy greedy.

ETA

vvvvvvvvvvvvv Yeesh. That’s kinda gross.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:00:14 PM
Fleuron...he might not be able to insure it. Some, if not most, policies require that the person with the "care, custody and control" of the item to be the one whose name is on the policy.

Personally, I'd rather be sure that I am responsible for my own insurance on such an important item. I really don't care what it cost, other than to have the right amount of insurance on it.
 _sunny_skies_darlin_
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:00:38 PM
Giving someone a fake diamond ring is tacky and I have never heard of anyone doing this. A woman wanting a real diamond engagement ring on her finger from the man she loves is not materialistic (or a golddigger) unless she's not happy with it simply because it's not big enough. It's tradition that a man puts an actual diamond (or other real stone) on his woman's finger when he proposes.

You can buy diamond rings now for around $300 at the jewellry store, yes they are teeny tiny diamonds but they are REAL. Promise rings really, but can be worn as an engagement ring.

This guy couldn't even do that?? WOW. Tell your friend to give it back to him and tell him that she'd rather wait until he's actually ready to propose, instead of forcing it on him. Giving a fake diamond is in extremely poor taste and is also very deceptive, not a great way to start an engagement!
 Fleuron
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:12:49 PM

Fleuron...he might not be able to insure it. Some, if not most, policies require that the person with the "care, custody and control" of the item to be the one whose name is on the policy.

Thanks, SSC-SAF. Could they not do it together, have her name on the policy, but he take care of the details? I would think a smart savvy man could figure that out.

The motive is what matters here, IMO. OP’s acquaintance wanted to know if the man she plans to devote the rest of her life to (cough) is a crummy cheapskate.

Maybe she can have his balls insured, since it seems like she’s the one with the "care, custody and control" of them.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/19/2012 6:47:05 PM
Yanno I am just not buying any of this story--

either the girl brought the ring for herself -or she knew it was a fake to start with--the bands on the fakes are much thinner than a real ring--by looking at a distance you cant tell but to wear one you can--so there is no way this girl didnt know the ring was a fake from the start--she just made up having it checked to try and save face--
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Sticky situation with a fake engagement ring ...