Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does time of day matter for the first message?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jeff__14
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Does time of day matter for the first message?Page 1 of 1    
Basically, if you get a message at 2 a.m., do you notice the time? Does this ever alter your first impression? Should I wait until "normal" hours to send a first message?

I just find that I am often browsing this site when I can't sleep and I'm sure I've sent a couple of 2 or 3 a.m. messages that, while entirely lucid, could be interpreted as either an act of loneliness (or drunkenness), I suppose?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
Does time of day matter for the first message?
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:09:48 AM
Like text messages, e-mail messages don't have a time frame or limit - it's the whole point of those forms of communication. You check your mail and whatever is there is there - and you answer it when you have time to answer. The person sending doesn't have to worry about the time, and the person answering doesn't have to respond right away.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:13:08 AM
I'm beginning to regret downloading the POF app for my cell phone, because it chirps like I got a text message when someone does something inside POF. I'm pretty sure it's real-time, and I don't think ladies know that when they screen through that 'Meet Me' feature at 2 am that I get a text alert. Some of that stuff can be disabled - I just haven't messed with any of the apps' settings yet - still in default mode.

One thing about POF that's wholly unreliable is the 'Currently Online' marker by profiles - that damn green dot stays there all day if someone uses their phone app, and even if you 'logout' it still shows a green dot for hours.

I don't care when people send messages to me - I'm going to reply when I have the time to do it, not instantly. I think a lot of truly single people that have 'lives' do their dating browsing at night, and I'm wary of the ones who have time to browse dating websites all morning long - especially if they have daytime jobs.
 Heavenisinok
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/21/2012 2:58:40 PM
I would say messaging at 2 a.m. would seem a little needy or maybe you just aren't quite stable as an adult. It is nice to receive any kind of attention while on these sites. Since you are trying to make your best impressions with your first message you should probably keep it between normal work and peak times (ie. 8am-9pm).
 rainman12
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 3:45:05 PM
I would notice the time, but I'd take it in context. If they work shift work, this could be when they got home afterwork. If they have kids, maybe they were busy during the day, but their kid is up all night and they figure this is their chance to message/respond to messages, since they're going to be up anyway. If they're younger, don't have a job/kids to explain it away, I'd think they're probably just out partying, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but it depends what you are looking for.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/22/2012 11:44:58 AM
Time of day? No. Day of the week? Maybe.
 justajack
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/22/2012 6:07:11 PM
I am not sure if the time of the day matters for the first message. But, the time of the month might make a difference. To be safe, I would not send any messages after the 15th of each month....lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does time of day matter for the first message?