Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What are your intentions for being on this site?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What are your intentions for being on this site?Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
There are many reasons that people join a dating site. I asked a lady this question "Could you go out just to have fun and see if there might be something there?"
What would be your responce to this. What are your intentions for being here? This is for both genders...
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
What are your intentions for being on this site?
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:13:03 AM
What are my intentions for being here?

To sign onto the forums when I feel like I want to converse.
To read all the silly questions that people have on here and then chuckle about them.
To thank the higher powers that be that I am not as daft as 90% of the posters on here.

And maybe ... just maybe ... meet someone who I can click with.

"Could you go out just to have fun and see if there might be something there?"

Why would you ask that of someone?
If they are not interested, then don't force them.
 Maybe_Have_Some_Faith
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:25:52 AM
Gives me something to do while I wait to die.
 brisco414
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:54:22 AM
It seems most guys are on this site for a casual hook-up. I want more so my options are very limited putting me in the minority for meeting someone that is looking for the same type of relationship. As for fun -- I'll go out and do something fun ...but not the kind of "fun" guys here are looking for.

For the time being I'm enjoying the forums.
 Pete2205
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 11:18:09 AM
I know quite a few guys like myself who are looking for more than a casual hook up.

"...but not the kind of "fun" guys here are looking for. " That statement is a generalisation and unfair on guys who really are here for more than "Fun"

I would so love to meet a reasonably attractive woman who shares similar interests and core values as myself but I have lost faith in that happening through POF or other sites. I think once a guy has passed the big 50 and has the lines and silver hair to go with the age women are not interested. They want the rich, good looking younger bloke instead and I have long since given up sending emails to women as I rarely get a reply.

Trust me though brisco there are plenty of guys out there and on POF who have been bruised and battered enough in the past to just want a nice steady sane relationship with a few hugs and cuddles at the start - "Fun" is something that happens as and when and if the time is right - But its not the be all and end all of a relationship
 saddestangel7
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/22/2012 11:47:33 AM
Just here watching the weeds grow, gathering dust and preparing for the zombie apocolypse.

Been here over a year and haven't met one guy yet! Lots of "we should" types pass by.

Do well on other sites so I guess it all balances out.
 LovinLifeAng
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 12:42:17 PM
#1 - I don't think everyone on here has their intentions clearly stated in their profile. You can only put so much. And some of the "general" things to choose from. I am looking to expand my "little" box and look for life outside of my little town. Maybe meet someone that I never knew or would never meet out in the "world". I think we all want to date.... There is no option to choose... wants to date and see what happens. I think we are all looking for a relationship, or we wouldn't be on here. Are you looking for a sexual relationship? casual relationship? marriage?
 brisco414
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/22/2012 1:27:36 PM
Pete2205 -- Just so you know ....not all 50 year-old women (and older) are looking for "the rich, good looking younger bloke". So lets call it even with respect generalization.
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/22/2012 1:55:05 PM
No, would not go out for "fun." That is not why I am here. I don't need another male friend nor do I wish to acquire an STD.
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 2:21:29 PM
Just to make it crystal clear to everyone here, the word "fun" does not mean rolling in the hay, jumping in the sack, doing the momba,rubbing sticks or anything else of that nature.
Also just because a profile says something does not make it true so just speak for yourself and not everyone else please. This thread was intended just for the poster to answer what they are here for .

Was that question being forceful, never thought of it that way. It was meant to be just as stated and thus the reason why I wanted to see why everyone was actually on a dating site with the honest answer.

Are you lonely and just wanting someone to talk to?
Are you just here for the forums?
Are you looking for a prince(rich men only)?
Things of that nature. I think it would be interesting just to find out.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/22/2012 2:48:18 PM

Isn't that the whole point of meeting someone? To see if there is "something" there. Something, whatever it might be, worth pursuing? I'm not sure why you would ask that?

Why am I here? I started, like so many others, hoping to win the lottery. During my search I found the forums and also started going to and hosting singles socials where I could meet people in person, without going through the time consuming ritual of email, phone, coffee meets.

Would I respond to someone who contacted me asking to meet and see where it might lead? I have no set answer on that. I guess it all depends on the who, what, when, where and why.
 Love.Notes
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/22/2012 3:35:28 PM
I ask myself that very same question every day lol
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/22/2012 5:05:01 PM

If this came as an invitation, the sub-text I’d hear is “this is a long shot, we’re probably not a match, so let’s just say we’re going out for fun. And then see if there's a spark.”

My intention for being here is to fleece lonely widows.
 nordicorigin
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 5:30:53 PM
Meet my best friend, lover and companion and get off internet dating!
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/22/2012 6:39:29 PM
I'm trying to find another long term partner, but while looking I enjoy the forums. If I meet the right guy I will turn my profile into a "forums-only" version, and won't be online as often because we'll be having fun together.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 8:16:02 PM
I'd like to to find the right lady that fits me, and bail off of here. Finding one seems to be the hardest thing to do. I'm finding out in short order that telling a lady that you're different, that you're after more than just a trip to the bed, is a hard sell. I know I haven't hit on the right formula yet. On the otherhand, if I did, then I wouldn't be here. And if I was, I'd be no better than the prowlers and the ass bandits most women want to avoid.

By the way, should I find what I'm looking for, I'll say good bye in advance!
 afixerupper
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 9:41:52 PM
I'm a hard fit, and I know it. I am also not that hard to please... so heck yeah I'd go out just to have fun. Depending on the guy and how he is, where he is in his life, I'm not against various kinds of "fun" as it were. We could go fishing, ( I know a really good place to trout fish. I'd like to go there some time...) I don't like manufactured fun like miniature golf, disney, movies. I like to do things with some sort of purpose, or enjoy nature. I am a cheap date, so the man should be prepared to be part of the entertainment, not sit next to me and let someone/something else entertain me. Could be just sitting somewhere nice and talking about stuff, or looking at stuff we both like, or doing stuff we both like...

Eventually I would hope for a more if both parties were agreeable... but I do not require a full blown perfect match for me to meet someone. Highly unlikely such a beast exists. I will be happy to put forth my best matching attributes that suit that particular person if I feel drawn to them, and hope for the best.
 Walts
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/23/2012 5:15:05 AM

Well, really, I'm just here confirming my suspicions and beliefs about the human race in general. Scares the shiat outta me how smart I really am.
 AxeMurderer75
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:23:19 AM
I came here to find the love of my life.
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:45:47 AM
My intention when I joined POF was to find a committed relationship. I have been successful in that venture. Now I just enjoy the forums. I live in Fla. and have met a man that spends 6 months in Fla. and 6 months in Canada. I have flown to Canada once a month all summer. Keeping in touch has kept the relationship strong. He will return to Fla. in Nov.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:53:05 AM
It stated in my profile.
And the forums are pretty good for a most part.
Oh and I agree about fun not neccesary meaning sex.
I think when she reads my profile she think I am all about one night stands. Hm..
 c_deacon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 8:51:03 AM
Many of us just do go out for fun, and our expectations are far different from those with an agenda that includes absolute relationship and marriage material, or bust.

It is the journey and not the destination that I enjoy, and if I end up in the right place, with the right person, and still have that smile on my face, because of the journey........I am a better person and good to go. My intent for this site, is one of a social network that includes many many single people that enjoy sharing thoughts, ideas, hobbies, and all those other things that those of common situations want to enjoy and share ........including dating!

cd
 livingwithadog
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/23/2012 12:15:45 PM
I'm here for the experience... insight, ideas, discussion and sure, dating. It's more about the experience of exploring people and their ways of thinking, and how they relate to others... A relationship? If it happens I'm not opposed but, for now, pof is mostly a virtual expedition for me.
 marybuckeye
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/23/2012 1:42:19 PM
SSC:
If I meet the right guy I will turn my profile into a "forums-only" version, and won't be online as often because we'll be having fun together.

You said it Sister!
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/23/2012 6:42:38 PM
Originally, I came here to meet people, go out on dates with the hope of finding someone for a LTR.

Some dates were fun to go out with, but were not LTR material. As soon as the man I am now living with contacted me here at POF,, and we committed to each other, I changed my profile so that I could continue to participate in the forums.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What are your intentions for being on this site?