Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > 80's hardcore and early alternative bands...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CodyLynnL
Msg: 1
80's hardcore and early alternative bands...Page 1 of 1    
We're talking the groups that helped set the stage for the grunge era. Groups like Minutemen/fIREHOSE, Black Flag, Husker Du, Replacements, and so on. These are some of my favorite groups, particularly because of their prolific tendencies in the face of an alluding mainstream acceptance. Nirvana and seattle contemporaries Pearl Jam and Soundgarden get a great deal of the credit that these bands cerainly deserve (not that I dislike these groups).

I know there are a lot of bands out there from this era that I'm missing, and I'm wondering if anyone could introduce me to more groups from the eighties' DIY era.
 jojaman
Msg: 2
80's hardcore and early alternative bands...
Posted: 9/27/2012 12:23:46 AM
Bands I like from the 80s in no particular order (other than the ones you mentioned)
Daniel Johnston, Raincoats, The Pastels, The Vaselines, Nomeansno, Bad Brains,****, Au Pairs, New Order, Operation Ivy, The Gun Club, Dead Moon, Poison Idea, Swans, Sonic Youth, Flipper, GBH, Discharge, My Bloody Valentine, Mekons, The Pogues, Fugazi, Minor Threat, REM, Mecca Normal, Television Personalities, Talking Heads, Public Image Ltd. Gang of Four, X, The Cure, Agnostic Front, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Magazine, Kate Bush, The Clash, Cocteau Twins, Big Black, Nake Raygun, Killing Joke, Ministry, and finally, Wipers (not all of my faves from the 80s, but a good chunk!)
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 3
Posted: 9/28/2012 6:27:37 PM
The Fartz, The U-Men, 10 Minute Warning, The Acc├╝sed, the Fastbacks, the Melvins, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Black Sabbath and Neil Young were the real influences of grunge.

the Fartz/Fastbacks drummer ended up playing bass in some l.a. band that sold over 100 million units and is in the rock n roll hall of fame dwarfing anything that grunge ever did.

k.w.
so fine
 CodyLynnL
Msg: 4
Posted: 9/28/2012 9:36:26 PM
NICE list, joja.. I forgot all about Daniel Johnston and R.E.M. And those are some I'll definitely have to look into!
 SpeakLowSpeakLove
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 12:29:44 AM
Police State, Wasted Youth, DRI, early Black Flag, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Daniel Johnston.

Oh please check out Cardiacs as soon as possible...this shit will have you spittin' yer coffee out your mouth in the morning haha
 CodyLynnL
Msg: 6
Posted: 9/29/2012 4:45:55 PM
Love me some Black Flag! I really like Loose Nut and In My Head quite a bit. Couldn't get into Damaged as much.

Will check out Cardiacs! Thanks man!
 SpeakLowSpeakLove
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 9:56:03 PM
oh yeah how could I forget.

Discharge, GG Allin & the Murder Junkies, DOA, the Circle Jerks, Negative Approach, Cro-mags, early Suicidal Tendencies, Heart Attack, early Corrosion of Conformity.
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/29/2012 10:55:05 PM
Going by the bands you mention you might like - Fear, Agent Orange, 'Theater of Hate' or the later 'Spear of Destiny', Vibrators, Chameleons (U.K.), The Fall, Killing Joke, 999, The****es, Dead Kennedies, X-mal Deutschland,
Complot Bronswick, Sisters of Mercy, Virgin Prunes, Bauhaus, earlier works of 'Positive Noise',
early 'Siouxsie and The Banshees', and Menace ("Insane Society").
 metalheadpunk
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/10/2013 9:54:16 PM
Hardcore from the 80s is the best hardcore. I love D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, the Exploited, Cro-Mags, Discharge, Accused.
 his.hero.is.gone
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/15/2013 4:53:10 PM
These are all great suggestions to 80's hardcore. Can't forget The****, Die Kreuzen, The Freeze, Battalion of Saints, Void, Siege (the fastest hardcore band at the time) etc... Some newer bands that have that 80's sound are Government Warning, Culo, Hoax.

Here's a really good documentary on 80's American hardcore and it is in english not spanish. (streams): http://vimeo.com/14007808
 Redfan45
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2013 8:49:54 AM
No 80's rock for me, but I do love 80's Chicago House, Hi-NRG and Latin Freestyle.
The enemy of rock back then.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > 80's hardcore and early alternative bands...