Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > those big flat screens and decorating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 laskoboo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
those big flat screens and decoratingPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Help !
I have lost control of my home's flow with the addition of 2 flat screen tv's.

It has messed up all my decor and walkways and I have changed the room in all ways with no good solution. Not possible to put one on the wall.
Considering instead of standard flat screen tv stand. ?? a wire shelving unit shortened a bit to have a bookshelf under for dvr, etc... and also BOOKS.
The tv's have caused a decorating nightmare as to the size and odd shape. I am disgusted trying to make the room look nice... and for room which the tv's have taken up the room and whole visual area of the room.
UGHHHHHHHHHHH
I have no room anymore ! ( all my partners idea we need a big tv in each living area).. now no living area.. just all TV !
I am ready to cry... there is no way to work this room now for beauty and comfort.

any suggestions on this?
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 2
view profile
History
those big flat screens and decorating
Posted: 9/28/2012 5:29:38 AM
holycowwow, it's a question that would be difficult to answer without seeing the room and the furniture. Can these T.V. be mounted on the wall?
 laskoboo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 5:36:14 AM
yes they can be mounted ont he wall, but in one living room, there is no room as walls are windows !

I am so upset sand frustrated today with this... I feel like its all TV... and to be honest I watch little tv.
They need to make a way these tv's fold up on the ceiling or something when not in use.. because they take up all the room in a room... visually.

in summary: not possible to mount one tv on the wall.

the rooms feel now is BAR, not den.
I hate it, I hate it, I hate it !!!
not to mention the TV is blocking my light !

they need to redesign this big tv thing.. to have them fold up or something when not in use. DECORATING NIGHTMARE !!!!

<div class='quote'>
I have a huge, flow-busting TV in the basement. I put it in a corner, on a table just big enough to hold it. Then I filled up the rest of the space visually with other things. That worked! So also maybe think about how you can use the space *around* where the TV is, to make it "fit" the room better

hmmm

on my way to the home depot for ideas.

to post below....
that is how we got 2 of these monster TV's.. I complained about the first...
partners big football TV... so he got me one too. ( I am not a sports fan at all)
mistake !

maybe in hopes I would stop complaining ?
Seems now i will need a new house to accomodate these tv's and I do not like moving !!!

oh nice link !!!
:)

out of control man... I feel ya. I am much the same and like the minimalist look and feel... but I have a spouse now to accomodate for... and now also 2 giant tv;s... trying to make it work
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 5:44:41 AM
I think you just have to look at pictures until you find something that works.

http://www.houzz.com/flat-screen-tv

I think it will get better by Sunday afternoon when football has been loud and proud and in sych through every room in the house for six hours. And there's another six hours to go. That will make it all worth while.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 5
Posted: 9/28/2012 6:02:09 AM
uh. get rid of them? sell or give away, donate?

quit watching TV, 99% of which is vapid & boring anyway?

I haven't had one since 2005 , and am better off for it

do dumb old-fashioned things like read or socialize, instead of being spoon-fed pablum?

free up your wall space? don't feel like you have to be/do the same as 98% of sheep, always get the 'latest' technology?

gosh I just don't know..
 wackadoodledoo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 8:51:40 AM
OyVay, that is a lot of money to disguise a couple of TVs. Got another idea?
 CharminC
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/28/2012 9:01:50 AM
I understand! they are huge and a b*tch to decorate around.
I live in a suite. Kitchen and living room is open concept yet my kitchen is french bistro while the living room is modern country. But I have black iron , red accents with lots of wood tying the two rooms together.
All the flat screen stands wouldn't do.
To solve my problem I found an antique credenza to put the tv on. I personally wood stained it to compliment my overall decor and drilled holes in the back for the wires to the electronics.
The credeanza doors hides everything maintaining a look of tidiness. There's enough room on each side of the tv for me to display things.
My kids have one in a different room for gaming. It's on top of a shelf I cut down to 4 ft from 6ft, painted black and anchored to the wall for safety's sake. Again, I drilled holes in the back for wires.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/28/2012 11:21:51 AM
If you already have a fireplace this wont work, but I saw portable electric fireplaces that are also flat screen tv stands...at least the focal point of the room would be all together. Ive seen some decor shows where the home had a real fireplace, and instead of art work hanging above it, the mounted a flat tv. It looked pretty nice!
 flaneur001
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 12:35:39 PM
also dislike the look of t.v.s in common rooms. I've never had a t.v. in a living room. I have a small one in a guestroom/den. I went to someone's house a year ago to see a movie and he didn't have a t.v. he used an lcd projecter hooked into his computer. He projected the image on to a blank wall. Pretty easy set-up, aesthetically pleasing.
 OutofControlMan
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/28/2012 2:12:12 PM
^^

the majority of the world's population don't even have electricity, or at least not reliable 24/7 electricity

let's whine about our BIG "problems"..

the TWO huge TV's I have clutter my decor..

my heart bleeds, get 6 more monster TV's maybe?

then cry & whine more
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 2:34:38 PM
The first problem I recommend that you address, isn't the TV's and the decor.

Instead, look at the psychology. I suspect that part of why you don't like how the TV's look no matter what you try, is because they are more than furniture objects to you. They are symbols that your current squeeze wont coordinate with you, and respect your personal concerns about lifestyle.

Only after you address and resolve the obvious emotional issues surrounding these things, will ANY physical accommodation or arrangement appear to be anything to you, other than a gilded pile of dog poop.

AFTER you resolve this, then I'm sure you can find all sorts of ways to make things work. Something as simple as a curtain might do the trick, but until what's behind the curtain stops upsetting you, there's no hope.
 laskoboo
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 4:33:05 PM
so what I did was go look at the home depot.. came home to try to work with what I had in the den. The flat screen is SURPRISINGLY HEAVY !.. so ended up decluttering and cleaning everything around it. Worked about 8 hours so far in just the den..
took everything out, cleaned, decluttered and reorganized, then put back in. Tried the furniture in a different way and it does work BETTER !!!

Those flat screens take up a lot of room.
wow.
They are a decorating nightmare !

this is materialism?

guess I'd rather have a man who buys me my own TV than one who says I should not have anything.. lol
so
will keep working the room until the tv is not soooooooo in my face.
I could not move it but ended up moving everything else in the room. ugh

about the mud hut... if I lived in one.. I'd have other concerns.. but since I do not live in a mud hut.. I will work with what I have and enjoy it. I like the tv.. it just takes up so much room !
Maybe soon they will make them so they fold up when not in use. That would be great !

thanks for the tips.. will look for permanent solution soon... going to see what I can do now with what I have.. next is husbands TV and the other living room.. ugh
this is hard.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/28/2012 5:12:56 PM
I don't know if this will help.
But I am fixin to buy one of those huge gaudy flat-screens to watch football this year.
I already have a flat-screen, but I want one that makes everyone LIFE-SIZE.
LOL

Anyways...I have to buy a fireplace mantlepiece first.
One, to have something to put it on.
and two, to block the heat from the fire this winter.

As for a 2nd TV???
why have two in the same room???

but if you just gotta....
why not put the other one under a glass coffee table the same size.
You can watch TV and put your feet up on it at the same time.
 laskoboo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 5:28:42 PM
My 2 tv's are not on the same room... one in the living room, one in the den... husbands is soooo big
people look larger than life.
Mine is not that large.

He bought me one to shut me up I think, compaining it took up so much room and put it in my den. Said i can watch lifetime tv on it.. lol

ugh.. but trying hard to work with it
 daynadaze
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 8:41:05 PM
The kids have one in the living room and one in the media room, they are on nice credenzas with tall, slim bookcases on each side. They just look like part of the furniture. What we run out of room for is bookcases, we have them everywhere and they are spilling-over full all the time, even though they both sell books on Amazon all the time. We also both have TVs in our bedrooms but they aren't as big, still take up a lot of room though. What I've found with flat-screens is that they are cool and can sit closer to the wall which is better than the old ones with the huge backs but people look a bit squaty on the screen.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 9:58:22 PM

Is this "exhibit one" as to why people who live in mud huts the world over hate Americans? I think so...

Yes, get over it. Materialism is SO HARD! Whhhhhaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Have you driven by any mud huts lately? They've all got satellite dishes stuck to the roof and likely more channels than I do.
 Padawan61
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 10:52:26 PM
Big screen TVs and other electronic toys BEFORE artsy fartsy "decor" I always say. And the bigger the TV the better ... with complimentary gear of course. Living space looks the best with the most high-tech stuff.

For the right price(and the price ain't cheap) you can hang a wireless screen on the wall framed to look like a painting

I've seen something like that before and I must say disguising a TV in such a manner is butt-ugly and a complete waste of money. The cash is better spent on expensive upgrades in later years.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:23:36 AM
What so many people forget when they buy TV's to mount on the walll is that those things have cords! The cords have to be run behind the sheet rock or they'll look like a mess.

People forget the same thing when they put TV's on shelves with nothing but wall space behind them. The cords hang down and look messy in between the shelves.

Best to get a TV stand for a really large big screen, or a home entertainment center with a book case to hide the cords behind. Or an armoire, as another poster suggested.

I understand how you feel about liking lots of windows in view, and not wanting to block ANY light to the house. I have the same situation.

Then you have the problem of putting TV's in proper arrangement with the furniture -- so that people can actually watch them!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2012 11:43:50 AM
Yanno, with the money that you and your hubby obviously have, I'd go with hiring a professional decorator to solve the problem.

After all, they would go into your home and do a walk through - something that I doubt you'd want from anyone on here.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/1/2012 11:45:24 AM
How big is the TV? My 42" sits on top of an electric fireplace. Works great.

You can also go buy one of these: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S89862142/ or something similar if you have the wall space.

But otherwise suck it up. Sounds like your partner lives there too. If a TV in the room is making you cry, you should probably get some help with that.
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2012 3:09:42 PM
I have an idea that temporarily hides the TV until you want to view it. Buy a Room Divider! They usually work as a tri fold that u could fold up and put to the side when u want. Some of them have an open design, the answer to that is to use either cloth or a thin straw-like material and attach that to the back of the open design. You end up with something in your decor style and the TV is easily hidden .

The second idea is for those with mounted wall TVS. Mount a tapestry you like that covers the TV. What u must first do with the tapestry is install a Roman Blind set-up to the tapestry. When you want to view the tv, you simply pull the cord and the tapestry folds up revealing the screen.

Let us know what you ended up doing!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > those big flat screens and decorating