Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > profile picture was at least 10 to 15 yrs old      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1964armymom
Msg: 5
profile picture was at least 10 to 15 yrs oldPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I just try not to get an emotional attachment until I meet someone face to face. Most of the guys I have met were definitely overweight, big pot bellies. I don't mind that so much, as most guys my age DO have the big belly going on. The ones who are like that and think they are athletic though ;) hahaha Definitely have met a few that look nothing like their pictures.

I saw a great cartoon awhile back. It showed a thin woman looking in a mirror, seeing a heavy unattractive woman. And a heavy older man, seeing a high school athlete. :)

I'd rather someone meet me and be pleasantly surprised that I look nicer, than to be disappointed.

What annoys me much more than looks, is the ones that completely misrepresent themselves personality wise. :/ Or in relationship status (ie the 'divorced' guy who has only been separated a month)
 laskoboo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
profile picture was at least 10 to 15 yrs old
Posted: 9/29/2012 2:27:54 AM
OP
I am no longer looking but met them too....
some pics 20 years old and grandpa moses showed up... all 280 pounds of him.

~~~~~~~~~

Doesn't that make him a liar?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

with such blantant decpetion, one would think so... but some of these clowns think they
still look close to the same, in which case makes them delusional more than an outright liar. They live in the "grand old days" rather than the present.
it's kinda sad....
but more annoying since they are decieving people and wasting others time to meet them.
oh well.............. happens to us all.
there are plenty more delusional types besides the old pics...
like no job
married and cheating
forgot wallet
criminals ( I met a few who turned out to be felons- one for a very bad crime)
lives with parents
alcoholic
bible thumper/ holier than thou

gosh there are so many more ! BUT HERES THE THING OP ~~~
you will get better at weeding them out with experience !
 vestaceres
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/29/2012 7:07:42 AM
I'd report it. I know the rule is 20 years, but if such a disparity exists (I would say up to fifteen is very deceptive), report it. I know right off the bat if a photo is older or not; the men themselves give it away in conversation inadvertently with facts that contradict it, certain tell tale signs in the background are dead giveaways, too. It's pretty funny, actually.

The style and format of the photo are fairly discernible. Contrast to public opinion, fashion is also a tell tale sign, even to the thread count of somebody's cotton shirt and the seem line, are signs of what machine was used to put it together, and so forth. Though fashion is classical in some design, each year it's reintroduce, there is always some difference incorporated, according to the times.

And, no, I don't spend inordinate amount of time studying photos; work experience in such fields have been a great tool in sussing the frauds.
 TwistedAir
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:21:13 AM
What is hillarious is fuzzy pics stating their body is average while in the blurry pic its BBW. This is a real shocker to a guy when the pic is at least 10 years old and she shows up for a meet.
 c_deacon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:55:39 AM
It is the image they have of themselves, even if long ago........both genders do it to often, and the way to fix it is by taking certain steps!

1. Make sure that they have at least six pictures on their profile with one full body shot and one facial that is close up enough to see their wrinkles....;)

2. While emailing each other and getting to know one another, send a picture with each email that is different from your profile and ask for one in return.

3. If you are not meeting that week, tell them to set up their cam and share a visit with one another while talking on the phone, and you will find out many things about each other.

4. Do not let week after week go by building up anticipation and a fantasy about the one you hope to meet and know better, keep it real and meet sooner rather than later if close by, and if not, create a picture a week email for each other as you two decide on your meeting date and time.

cd
 GoldinSFla
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2012 12:58:58 PM
Some people are truly deceptive. But I try to be as honest as possible and still got called a liar. I have more than half a dozen pictures up. The only one that's more than a year and a half old is the halloween one and its less than 3 years old. Most of the other pictures are around a year old, give or take a month or two and the one of me standing in the doorway in the purplish--dark pink shirt was taken exactly two weeks ago

Not only are my pictures all recent, but all they're clear, at least I think they are .
Most of them are full length body shots, so there's no mistaking my size or shape. And I really am 45. Just turned it this month. But regardless of my bid to be as honest as can be, a while back a guy on the forums accused me of intentionally labeling myself incorrectly. Because I put average instead of fat or whatever he decided that I looked like. I dunno, I used to be way heavier and I think of myself as average sized now. I'm a size 12, though in dresses I can be as small as a 10 and in tight jeans, I can go to a 14, because most of my curves are in my hips. The average size of the American woman today is said to be a 14, so there ya ago.

And even if someone thinks someone else is fat or chubby, I dont know how anyone can be considered deceptive if they have clear , recent full length shots of themselves. Delusional maybe, but not deceptive. You might not think I'm average but obviously I'm not trying to hide anything with my pics. Though I wish POF had the option of labling one'self as curvy, because that's how I would truly describe myself.
Ironically, the guy who accused me did not have one full length shot of himself.

So yeah some people are intentionally deceptive, but when it comes to looks, sometimes the line between lying to other people and lying to one's self is not that clear. Just look at the posts on this thread; Someone will say something about others being not being truthful on their profile and someone else accuses them of the very same thing :"But your pictures are blurry!" "You should talk,..You only have upper body shots!" "Oh yeah, well you're wearing a hat, sunglasses and a big ole paper sack!" etc
BTW Ok...Ok...I will confess....My natural hair color...isn't blonde. But I'm pretty sure that's not a big secret...and it ensures recent pics, since I've only been blonde for a few years. I've been paying big bucks for it though so I think it should count for something.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/29/2012 1:09:04 PM
That should only be a surprise if you haven't been doing this for very long. How about 75 pounds ago and two hairline inches ago.......it doesn't matter. Deceit is deceit. It's the risk you take, so if you're not prepared, then maybe you should choose another venue or only do webcam. There are just no guarantees, period.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/29/2012 2:04:34 PM
Smoked a great deal, at least 10 years older than he stated, 40 to 50 lbs overweight, very bald with a small amount of white hair left.
I really wish i could say who it is to save you all the trouble. Doesn't that make him a liar?

What difference does it make whether someone's pictures are old, or they lie about their appearance in their profile, e.g. they claim they are average when their picture clearly shows that they are overweight?

There's zero difference, as far as I'm concerned. Either way, they are misrepresenting their appearance.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:03:29 PM

What is it with people that post a very old photo of themselves and try to pass it off as recent. I met a guy, profile states he doesn't smoke, athletic body very fit, balding with black hair.

That's a non-verbal lie. I wouldn't trust that person... in the very least that would tell me they had self-esteem issues..

Smoked a great deal, at least 10 years older than he stated, 40 to 50 lbs overweight, very bald with a small amount of white hair left.

10 years is a big difference... It's one thing to simply have a 20-40 lb difference in a photograph. Then I may think you're shallow. But, TEN YEARS? nahhh..he should know better. A photo that old means he took the time to intentionally scan it for the site and all.

I really wish i could say who it is to save you all the trouble. Doesn't that make him a liar? So now I find that I have to sound rude and ask how recent is your photo. My god and they talk about women.

Yep. That's how it is. I've met women off of here who looked less than desirable in the photographs and some who blew me away because they looked WAY better. Comes with the territory.
Ten years and ten months is a big difference..drop them and move on if it's a problem
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:05:56 PM

I too have now felt the need to ask them how recent their photo is.
a few years doesnt bother me. but some post 10 yr old photos.

If all the photos on the profile are that old then it's good to ask..if it's the only one among many CURRENT ones..then it's self-explanatory and it can be inferred as you being shallow for even asking.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/29/2012 8:18:20 PM
^^^
I think that's silly of someone to do have an album of old photos. Yeah, you should ask because that's not the person you're going to be seeing. It'll feel like you're with two different people when you meet.

If there's only one photo that doesn't match, then that's probably the oldie.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/30/2012 4:49:06 AM
I could post a pic from 10 yrs ago and attract ALOT more men..

But just because i was MORE photogenic when i was 37 does not mean i should do so.

I am getting to a point where i just want to meet men in public and skip all this fun and games.. :))
 Zuglo65
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2012 8:01:29 AM

I also suspect from your photograph that your stated height of 5'5" is more than a stretch unless you are bending over considerably to lean on that counter top.

I think she is sitting.

What is hillarious is fuzzy pics stating their body is average while in the blurry pic its BBW

Well there is that.
 TwistedAir
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/30/2012 4:56:11 PM

verygreeneyez isn't seeking a relationship or any kind of commitment

I send instant-pics and I want the same in return. I found that in general, if someone is lying ~ they'll do just about anything and use just about any excuse to get out of cam, Skype or cell pics and if that's the case? We're done

Who is lying here again?
Posted: 9/30/2012 11:28:42 PM
I remember meeting someone here back in 2005. As soon as we saw each other, we both changed ou minds about going out on a date. I don't know why he felt that way, as my picture wasn't that old (1999). His was probably much older, as he had brown hair in the photo & gray hair, in person. I am aware that early gray is genetic, so he wasn't neccessarily lying about his age. But the photo on his profile was certainly a lie.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I've met women off of here who looked less than desirable in the photographs and some who blew me away because they looked WAY better. Comes with the territory. - H0wAboutIt

Some people are not photogenic, can't be helped. Other times, it depends on the skills of the photographer. When we met in person, I found that my (now) husband looked WAY better than his photos & better than the webcam on Skype.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/2/2012 3:24:59 PM

vestaceres:
Contrast to public opinion, fashion is also a tell tale sign, even to the thread count of somebody's cotton shirt and the seem line, are signs of what machine was used to put it together, and so forth. Though fashion is classical in some design, each year it's reintroduce, there is always some difference incorporated, according to the times.

If you want to waste money on the latest fashions, that's your choice, but I have perfectly good clothes that still fit fine and are not worn out, that are 15 years old. Since I don't wear those types of clothes for work, they don't get that much wear. I'm not going to spend money on stuff that doesn't really matter to me and if that's what someone is judging me on, we're not a good fit anyways. I'll buy new clothes if I like them, but not just to have something new.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/2/2012 8:05:38 PM
Some people misrepresent themselves.

Some people see themselves as they think they are.

And some people are either delusional---or they simply enjoy insulting other people's intelligence.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > profile picture was at least 10 to 15 yrs old