Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Ignorant door to door salespeople.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Michael.Jay
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Ignorant door to door salespeople.Page 1 of 1    
Recently I put a sign on my front door stating " DO NOT KNOCK, CALL OUT, or make ANY OTHER NOISE AS THERE IS A SLEEPING BABY --> GOT THAT !" ... yet a clown comes to the door, knocks (I am sitting at my computer desk right next to it) and I hissed at him in a quiet voice "Can't you read" and the clown persisted further and called out (as I gather he could not see me through the screen door) and of course bub wakes up so I went and got her and as I walk past the door the ignoramus is still there trying to talk to me so I said "thanks a lot you have woken the baby just go away" ... I cannot believe that some one could be so ignorant. The clown must have been able to read and write english to fill out the forms for changing electricity suppliers. I was disgusted by this inconsiderate behavior and let me state this was a very large sign with big bold bright red lettering. I am sick of this electricity supplier war but beyond that surely common decency would dictate that you comply with a simple request like I put signage up about ... any one else come across gross ignorance like this ?
 Hilly02
Msg: 2
Ignorant door to door salespeople.
Posted: 10/3/2012 2:04:26 AM
I reckon if there had been a PLEASE at the begining and you left the GOT THAT off the end you might have had more luck. As it is you just seemed a rude douchebag and I would have knocked too. :-)
 kmac6
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 2:19:35 AM
Keep a bucket of water near the door to throw on them at the ready if they do that again!!
 lyingcheat
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 2:50:21 AM

any one else come across gross ignorance like this ?

I know... my doormat spells 'Fuck Off' and I still get people knocking on the door.

But for your problem, you could change your sign to read 'Please Knock To Claim FREE Baby'
Whatever they do then, it's a win-win situation for you.
 SwanLake73
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:46:09 AM
its taken me about 20 minutes to compose myself after this one.
I feel I shall sober up before commenting, but Hilly.. your insight into sign-age is phenomenal..

I suspect hawkers are not paid to read courtesy signs.
My brothers in laws have a steady supply of orthodox holy water they spray on anyone that graces their stoop..
 Michael.Jay
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:48:41 AM

I reckon if there had been a PLEASE at the begining and you left the GOT THAT off the end you might have had more luck. As it is you just seemed a rude douchebag and I would have knocked too. :-)

well maybe but ... wasn't the first time, was more polite sign with prior incident also ignored,was sick of them, it's really the baby they are disrespecting by waking the little angel, my door, uninvited etc etc
 SwanLake73
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/3/2012 7:53:19 AM
The problem is, you cannot make the world a baby sleeping perfect environment.
My neighbour has a booming loud voice and recharges on noise.. I suspect an ADHD kid. he loves to t be on his phone and sit on the front porch to conduct his business. He is banned from entering his place of work due to his attittude and works from home. His voice , revving of his toys and so forth drive the baby in my house insane..or to be precise the exhausted mother of the baby residing in my house insane..
Door to door is least of the issues. I think if the occasional doorknocker is the worst thing for bubs naptime, you are doing well.
Meanwhile I know which hooker at which brothel is not working up to par,.. according to my neighbour lol
 tinapenny
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:08:37 AM
I cant really comment on door to door salesmen since I dont get them but with the baby....they get used to the ambient noise level, whatever that might be, and sleep through it. If you've made your house a very quiet place, you've made a rod for your own back. I mean, if babies needed perfect quiet to sleep, only the first child in a family would ever get any zzzz at all.

Start leaving the radio/telly/music on low and work at making it louder over time until it doesn't matter if the electrolux salesman comes to the door and insists on doing a demo, coz your baby wont notice.

But yeah, parents deprived of sleep can get very rude. It suddenly becomes very clear why sleep deprivation is a form of torture.
 Hilly02
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/3/2012 4:09:58 PM
Perhaps see if you can swap the baby for whatever product the salesman is flogging?. Most things have a use....except babies....... though if making ones skin crawl is a use, then I suppose they do too!
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/3/2012 6:10:17 PM
Personally I blame the baby. Sounds like a real troublemaker.

I know... my doormat spells 'FuCk Off' and I still get people knocking on the door.

I’ve noticed that if people make it to the door, they are rather inclined to knock. Letting that happen… rookie error.
 gingerosity
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2012 2:44:33 AM
It would probably be effective to string a blue and white checked tape across the approach to the door.
Even if it didn't say 'police line - do not cross", not many people would take the risk.
 Akizzej
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/5/2012 3:55:45 AM
I guess that's where I'm lucky down here, because after an 8pm middle of winter doorknock to buy candy, I've had a notice on my door for over a year... and never a door knock do I hear. The occasional religious zealot card left in the jamb, but no knocks. Sign is elaborate but tells them that I won't be answering any knocking... so would they rather spend an hour knocking and harassing, or taking the chance on snaring another victim elsewhere?

Another one I have seen is "The USA won't negotiate with terrorists, neither will I - no deal.. Goodbye"...

I don't give a reason, and have found being polite helps. but I do agree that the caller was in the wrong completely...
 darkfairycreature
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/5/2012 4:01:15 PM
OP, I support your right to put any sign you like on YOUR door, and I agree that too many of these salespeople have no respect for someone's right to peace and lack of sales pitches in their own home...

I feel the same way about sales phone calls at dinner time. It's rude and intrusive.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2012 8:01:30 AM

I’ve noticed that if people make it to the door, they are rather inclined to knock. Letting that happen… rookie error.

Ahh... Now I see where I was going wrong...
But, in light of the posts and suggestions here, I've re-thought my whole stance. Being polite sounded like a good idea so I made myself a sign saying that I only respond to callers, in twos, who knock softly, but firmly.
Because it's always a pleasure to see a pair of soft firm knockers.
 RorschachTM
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/6/2012 3:03:42 PM
Isn't there a national no-call register for that?

Door-to-door sales people don't swing around my place, it might be something to do with me answering my door in my undies.
 darkfairycreature
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/6/2012 5:57:58 PM

Isn't there a national no-call register for that?

There is, but some manage to get around it somehow - they already have my details?? Microsoft are the worst, with telstra a close second...

Maybe I should answer the door in my undies?...might at least freak out the JWs....
 RorschachTM
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/8/2012 12:15:24 AM
Ah miss read the post... I finally figured out what JW meant... go me!!
But yeah, my undies tactics will work in JW case as many have speculated, I am sure.

Come to think of it... been awhile since I've had JW around me place.
 sinistra
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/10/2012 8:37:20 PM
Because it's always a pleasure to see a pair of[ soft firm knockers.]-touch oxymoronic??
btw,my cattle dog stops anyone reaching the door...but the barking would wake the baby so may not be perfect solution.
 Soul Union
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/1/2013 1:05:33 PM

I reckon if there had been a PLEASE at the begining and you left the GOT THAT off the end you might have had more luck. As it is you just seemed a rude douchebag and I would have knocked too. :-) -- Hilly02

Have a look at the posts below your comment. They are not PC. They come from the real world, where we have to deal with stupidity and ignornace on a daily basis.

Never mind. If you say he (it's always a he, never a she) is a douchebag (how original) then he must be. Nothing like being judgemental.

And you stress in your profile that you believe in manners.

- Peter
 Soul Union
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/1/2013 1:21:31 PM
Anyone else come across gross ignorance like this? -- Michael.Jay

Michael, we are living in an increasingly ignorant society. I live next door to you in New Zealand. I have been here 22 years, and I have watched this country scream down the toilet into the gutter in oh so many ways.

People 'march' down the pavement now, with obscene messages on T-shirts (filthy, disgusting, foul public announcements about what he (it's usually a he) has done to "your girlfriend", etc), elbows wide, almost looking for a fight. And if you happen to bump into them, God help you. But we mustn't offend their sensibilities and their human rights. We must get out of their way to allow them to develop.

Babies are left in steaming cars for hours at a time. But most passers-by, always mindful of political correctness, are loath to report it. Instead, they tut-tut, fold their arms, stamp their feet and stare at the ground in frustration as the baby lies there in the blazing hot sun with the windows shut.

Strangers telephone you at all hours, call you by your first name, and remind you how low you are or how stupid you may become if you don't buy their products. They won't listen to the fact that you are in the middle of your dinner or that you have guests or that you are on your way to work - what matters to them is selling something to you, a complete stranger. It is called invasion of privacy. But they can't see that. They want your money. And all the "How are you today, John?" and "Are you having a nice day, Jack?" bullshit, is just fluff and nonsense. What they care about is your money. They want it. That's what matters.

Dog shit lies all around the pavements now, despite silly, PC council notices pinned to lamp posts and waving in the wind. You have to jump over or around the animal filth, or move on to the street to get past it. It lies there, a fetid stench, with other dogs paying homage to the filth as it rots in the noonday heat. Maybe the council will get round to it. Maybe the won't. They usually don't. They're usually too busy to answer the telephone. They have other important things to do.

People come to your door, wrong house, but you usually find yourself taking them halfway up the street and direct them to where they want to go. They look at you blankly, as if you're an idiot that you're taking the time out to help them. Did they say thanks or acknowledge your help? I'll leave it to your imagination. I don't do it anymore. Once bitten, forever shy.

You stand in the queue in huge, anonymous warehouse, buying 'food' from cardboard boxes, including your 'organic' food (is there such a thing as inorganic food?), ever ready with your New World Order piece of plastic to swipe at the computer to let the authorities know who you are, exactly what you've bought, when you bought it, where you bought it, and what you paid for it, and the assistant, if you are extremely lucky, nods in your direction. Usually you get ignored, even when you offer your kind sentiments about the weather or whatever. The groceries are whisked through the customer-identifying barcode terminal at the speed of light, and before you know it you are standing outside the shop, dazed and stunned by your whole shopping 'experience.' It is a long way from hunting buffalo on the plains on your horse, eating as a family, together, and actually 'talking' to each other instead of watching The Simpsons while you guzzle your food in lumps down your gullet in an effort to get to work before the boss sacks you and sends your job to a Third World country. They call it 'outsourcing,' to be polite.

You talk about ignorance, Michael? As the comedian on stage said: "Folks, you ain't seen nuthin' yet."

- Peter
 peony-rose
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/3/2013 3:21:29 AM
Has anyone stopped to think that it is the companies who hire people to door knock or cold call who are actually responsible for this behaviour? Don't blame the individuals just trying to earn a wage - complain to the bosses.
 Moon_Rocket
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 4:16:05 PM
Where I live if anyone comes to my front door, they are either lost, or don't know it has been locked for ten years. (mind you on close inspection the cobwebs are a dead giveaway)

Friends come round the back.
 DarkStanley1974MKII
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/12/2013 4:28:53 AM
Just yell from inside the house "this had better be the Male Prostitute I rang for over an hour ago!! I've got a hankerin to cornhole you boy!!"
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Ignorant door to door salespeople.