Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Astrology      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tpb03
Msg: 1
view profile
History
AstrologyPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I have been fascinated with astrology for several years. I've even had my chart done and analyzed it several times. What does everybody else think? I realize that most people think its a bunch of vague non-sense but for the most part I feel like its pretty accurate. I've also found it to be a decent guide in how to live to your fullest potential (that is if you focus on your positive traits and stay conscious of your negative traits). Any thoughts?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 10/3/2012 2:45:59 PM
I think it's a bunch of very specific nonsense, myself.

It is fun though, and if nothing else, it describes a lot of personality types, which can act as shorthand, when I want to describe someone.
 LennyPane
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 10/5/2012 12:14:18 AM
I don't believe in it. Being a sagittarius, I'm extremely skeptical.
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 4
Astrology
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:33:05 PM
So, lemme get this straight ...

A bunch of planets and stars and their non-existent 'influences' on our planet from millions and billions and trillions and bazillions of miles away via some 'mysterious yet undefined energy' that affects our personalities, decisions, careers, and life in general is something I'm supposed to take seriously ... ? Please.

This is vaporware of the highest order, and the old saying still applies:

"An idea is not responsible for who believes in it"

... and Barnum is still right ...

Now: Can we talk about this bridge I have for sale? I'll throw in riparian rights if you buy it before Dec. 21, 2012 ...
 gingerosity
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 10/5/2012 7:37:58 PM

Being a sagittarius, I'm extremely skeptical.

Being a pisces, I found that pretty funny.
 2findU
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 10/8/2012 3:38:31 PM
It's not real science, just vague generalizations that fit many people. And astrologers NEVER can predict the future either.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 10/16/2012 6:00:16 PM

Being a pisces, I found that pretty funny.

Being an Aquarius, I too found it funny.

A woman that I used to work with (who coincidentally looked like a man) explained Astrology to me in this way;

The moon's position in reference to the Earth determines the tides, which occurs because the gravitation pull of the moon on the water and since human's are mostly water (and entirely mass) it stands to reason that even the slightest gravitational pull caused by stars, moon sun etc could have an effect on the small bits of water within the human body (especially the brain and accordingly during conception and fetal development) causing the various effects of personality resulting in predictable decision making which allows one who has studied the subject to make accurate predictions about how your day is going to go.

This is to paraphrase, however, she did say it all in one sentence.
 greenIsis777
Msg: 8
Astrology
Posted: 10/18/2012 8:20:57 PM
sun signs are all anyone seems to think of when astrology is mentioned. as you are aware, if you get into detailed and specific planetary placements it can be pretty accurate. at least that's what I find. I find my sun sign somewhat accurate, the decan moreso, and I find my venus and mars signs to be accurate also.

Being an Aquarius, I too found it funny.

being a capricorn I don't find any of it funny. just trying to live up to the stereotype. :D
 arwen52
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 10/20/2012 6:12:18 PM
You've heard of the experiment where they wrote up a horoscope and told it to people of various astrological signs, and they all thought it fit them no matter what their sign? There are a couple of examples of such experiments given in this video.

Probably nothing anyone will say will change your mind since belief in astrology is just that, belief, and is not based on any rational thinking. However, check out this video and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1nsEtjqPg8
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 10
Astrology
Posted: 11/2/2012 10:59:25 AM
@ Nr 20 ...

" ... Below are comparisons between bogus Astrological dates & the true Astronomical ones :) ... "

"One pill makes you smaller, and one pill makes you tall ... "

This will shatter so many illusions people hold dear about 'astrology' ... pity, really ...

Now let's talk about that 'End Of The World' thing on December 21 ...
 LennyPane
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/2/2012 9:59:53 PM
Xane 111-
I actually did the same thing with my family a couple
years ago. My brother bought a horoscope book and he had some family members go around and read about
their 'sign'. When it was my turn I read a random one
and watched everyone around me give that look like
'yeah... that's him'.

I think the trick is there is a little something for everybody. At times we're all thoughtful, quiet,
talkative, optimistic, pessimistic etc. etc.
Astrology
Posted: 11/3/2012 4:13:12 PM
Astrology is dumb. Except for Capricorns. Hehe.

Of all the special things that each sign can claim, Capricorn is the one and only sign that occupies the very end and very beginning of every year. Oh, the ramifications. We are the alpha and the omega. Grrr...
 Kohmelo
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/3/2012 4:20:03 PM

Oh, the ramifications.

No dude, that's Aries.
Astrology
Posted: 11/3/2012 4:56:30 PM
Ooh, darn it! Arg!

[this message isn't too short for pof to allow posting]
 windchymes
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/3/2012 8:30:51 PM
They retracted that 13th zodiac sign theory about three days after they announced it.
 LennyPane
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/7/2012 7:20:58 PM
^^ quit holding out and pass me some of whatever you're
smoking...
 Rheostatic
Msg: 17
Astrology
Posted: 11/9/2012 2:43:39 PM

^^ quit holding out and pass me some of whatever you're
smoking...

If you read his profile, you'd be asking to snort whatever he's snorting.
Astrology
Posted: 11/11/2012 7:34:21 AM
I like that hair. The upside down pic. Now THAT'S what I call hair! Rock on with that. Always wish I had some like that. All sticking up and wild.
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 1:15:21 AM
And you're the same person who said in another thread that you teach your students that creationism/ID deserves equal consideration as the Theory of Biological Evolution. Eeww.
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 4:27:47 PM
So you don't literally teach your students that creationism/id is equal to Evolutionary Theory?
 LennyPane
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/16/2012 10:25:17 PM
If I was born a month later I would be agreeing with OP. Damn if I have any control in my outlook/personality...
Astrology
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:29:13 PM
I think there's a zodiac system somewhere in which I'm a pretty pretty butterfly! Oh, such a pretty pretty butterfly. And it always says of us pretty pretty butterflies that we are the supreme rulers of the universe, and so very much loved by all who dwelleth in our universe, and that we shall lead the whole universe into a much more pretty pretty universe, much like a caterpillar cacoons and then re-emerges into the new world...as a new pretty pretty butterfly. Yay.
 LennyPane
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 5:44:10 AM
^^ And what about all the times it is wrong? You share your sign with millions... And I'm sure they didn't all have good luck at 9 a.m. that
morning. So how was that prediction meaningful? In fact, I'm sure the majority of the people with your sign had a completely average morning, and some were sure to have a bad morning. IN FACT, there's a good chance someone with your sign died that morning...

This reminds me of something that happened a couple years back. I was at a party and I started talking to this girl who said that the night before 9/11 she had dreamt of airplanes and fire. The girl didn't seem to be lying, and she started saying how she thought it was a
premonition from god and completely supernatural. Everyone else who was listening thought the same thing. But I started thinking... The odds of someone having a dream of airplanes and fire before 9/11 were probably very high. In the US alone there are millions of people and I would bet a fat chunk of money that EVERY night someone, somewhere, has a dream of something to do with an airplane and fire.
Its simple logic. But I guess when you have that happen to you it makes you feel special and as if something supernatural is happening.
But that's not what's happening.
 LennyPane
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Astrology
Posted: 11/22/2012 5:55:06 AM
By the way, how funny would it be if the woman who
gave you the money shared your sign and read that
same exact horoscope the night before... And went
home that day thinking "I knew it was all bullshit". haha
 Kohmelo