Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Coffeeaddict85
Msg: 1
Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'm working on a college paper on male psychology. My hypothesis is that guys will workout/train harder if there is an attractive girl around them with the hopes that she will notice that he is a "hardcore gym guy." The argument is that guys get too easily distracted if shes hot and don't bother working out intensely, therefore they end up doing a few reps here and there but their main focus is to check her out . What are your thoughts? I would appreciate any input you have based on your personal experience. Thanks.
 Red_5
Msg: 2
Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?
Posted: 10/13/2012 12:06:03 PM
Is there another point to getting ripped beyond attracting a mate?

It's widely known that girls dig big pects, a six pack, and a sweet smile.

As life hardened as I am and as big a health nut as I can be, I'm still trying to attract a mate.

To answer your questions: yes and no.

The fakers will stop at a few reps and window shop her.

The real men will double there weight and reps and have her watch him.

There's no better feeling than be drooled over by an attractive female!
 melodyof_k
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/13/2012 12:13:57 PM
I could not care less how many reps a guy does. as long as he is health conscious and doesnt go outside and smoke afterwards or hit the bars and drink.
Guys who show off are a turn off
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/13/2012 12:24:33 PM

What are your thoughts?

What people do and why they do it is complete subjective, thus it can not be measured or quantified.

When I am in the gym and there is a hot girl I tend to not watch her and watch how some of the other guys act, as it can be both interesting and entertaining.

I would say I do notice more grunting, weight banging and general all around peacocking, but also keep in mind that this behavior is from a select few.

So I would say that guys do it, when it is the type of guy that would do it.
 flaneur001
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2012 12:30:49 PM
You're taking a psych course and you are required to come up with a hypothesis...but what about HOW YOU TEST YOUR HYPOTHESIS...that's actually the more important part of the paper. I'm assuming you could do this if you film the gym participants have a female decoy (one who is 'attractive/ one who isn't), no decoy) and do a pre/post analysis.
Posted: 10/13/2012 12:36:34 PM
No, but I do dress cuter.

Baggies sweats or spandex? Hmmmmmmmmmmm
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/13/2012 12:53:08 PM
I'm not saying I'm that girl worth showing off to, but when I go to the gym I know I love keeping an eye on the muscly boys and am always pleasantly impressed when I see how much weight they have going.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/13/2012 5:07:47 PM
Having attractive women in the gym just improves the scenery. If the sceney is nice it is a motivation to keep on going if it is stunning it can be a distraction. I much prefer to go to a gym where there are attractive women working out or just working there but it does not change my routine or how much weight I use for each set - my days of working out based on my ego are long gone - I am just there for my health/ enjoyment/ relaxation and part of that is not over doing it and ending up with an injury.
 Fleuron
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/13/2012 8:10:51 PM
My thoughts….that kind of thing is sooooooooo obvious. Huge turnoff.

But so are public co-ed gyms loaded with other people’s gross sweaty germs.
 Pete2205
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:08:54 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that when a gym has several attractive women in it working out then guys will work out harder and flex the pecs more "Peacocking" as one poster so well put it. If a girl is on a treadmill and looks really hot and attractive then you can bet that a guy will be on the machine behind her eyeing her up or at leasr close enough to get a good eyefull without his attention being obvious.

I have no problems stating that there have been times when I have been about to complete a 30 min work out and a very pretty girl has walked in....That 30 mins has turned into an hour - Are you crazy? If its a choice between a night of crap TV and watching a hot girl work out ...Well there isnt a choice is there guys ?
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/14/2012 7:34:11 AM
But so are public co-ed gyms loaded with other people’s gross sweaty germs

So is just about any public place - in thirty eight years of going to public gyms I can't say I have ever picked up anything more than a cold or the flu at the gym which I could just as well have gotten shopping for groceries.

It's a good thing you do not work in the health care industry or work teaching children. I would be more concerned about all those needles they stick in Voodoo Dolls ( your stated profession ) !!
 jaqi
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 7:35:04 AM
God I am glad I don't look so hot when I go to the gym! I would feel totally distracted if I thought the guys were getting a good eyeful!

I sometimes distract them when I am lifting heavy or doing pull ups, watching their jawdrop is highly amusing and I have to admit it's always nice to have some eye candy especially when he has a great bum and is doing squats ... now that can be very distracting ;-)

I was in the gym this afternoon doing a long haul abs ssession and I noticed at least 4 guys coming over and doing their abs and watching me but I think they were more interested in the exercises I was doing at the time as they are pretty different from the norm and I looked wrecked from a very late night dancing last night! :)
 jaqi
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2012 7:39:08 AM

But so are public co-ed gyms loaded with other people’s gross sweaty germs

So is just about any public place. It's a good thing you do not work in the health care industry or work teaching children

Or work in a prison .............. yuk! Most of the time you need a clothes peg on your nose!
 Sensei_Ro
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:08:01 PM
Here is my opinion. The people who want to create the facade of being a "hardcore gym guy" will work out more intensely when attractive females are around. The actual Hardcore gym guys will keep there intensity at 100% no matter who is there, because they know that is the key factor to making gains in the gym. You can tell right off the bat the people who go to the gym when there bored, or it's convenient vs. the people who schedule their day around there gym time. I would say the people who don't normally push themselves would see better gains with attractive females around, which is the opposite of your hypothesis. Now if your talking about an extreme case, where the guy starts doing exercises that are not beneficial to his workout just to stay in eye range of said females, than yes I support your hypothesis and the attractive girls are the catalyst to an insufficient workout.
 Fleuron
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/15/2012 9:04:55 AM

It's a good thing you do not work in the health care industry or work teaching children. I would be more concerned about all those needles they stick in Voodoo Dolls ( your stated profession ) !!

Haha….I do the sticking; I don’t get stuck.
And, my voodoo worked….the Bills won and San Francisco lost. ;)

I’m thinking more about gross guys who sweat and spit and drip and who knows what else all over equipment that I would subsequently touch. Just…..NO.

Also watching sweaty guys sweat more doesn’t do much for me, at least, not by weight lifting. ;)

I’ve worked lots with kids in the past and they never sweated on me or my workout equipment. :) But you’re right about health care…too many fluids for me, no thanks.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/15/2012 9:15:04 AM

...I’m thinking more about gross guys who sweat and spit and drip and who knows what else all over equipment that I would subsequently touch. Just…..NO.

You know that the sweat / spit and other body fluids you are referring to is not just isolated to the gym as all of those things and much more can be found on every single surface in all public spaces.

Though that said, unless you have an open wound or like to put your hands in your mouth your are at ~0% risk of catching anything, other than some OCD.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/15/2012 9:16:32 AM
I’m thinking more about gross guys who sweat and spit and drip and who knows what else all over equipment that I would subsequently touch.

You do realize that most gyms these days have disinfectant spray and wipes that they recommend people use to wipe down thier equipment before and after they use it and no one is preventing people from cleaning it to thier own standards.

I’ve worked lots with kids in the past and they never sweated on me or my workout equipment

You may want to try to get those kids to work a little harder.

Next thing you know you'll be telling us that women don't sweat spit or drip - they just glow and everything that comes out of thier bodies smells like flowers.
 Fleuron
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/15/2012 1:24:58 PM

You do realize that most gyms these days have disinfectant spray and wipes that they recommend people use to wipe down thier equipment before and after they use it and no one is preventing people from cleaning it to thier own standards.

Well, that’s good. I’d rather clean my own sweat off my own equipment at home.
If I gotta clean up after other people I’d better be getting paid for it; not have to pay for the experience. :)

Next thing you know you'll be telling us that women don't sweat spit or drip - they just glow and everything that comes out of thier bodies smells like flowers.

I can’t speak for other women, but I always smell like flowers. :p

You’re right….I don’t want to experience anyone else’s sweat during my workouts except my own. This thread’s about men, though, that’s why I emphasized their particular sweat. :)

ETA

You know that the sweat / spit and other body fluids you are referring to is not just isolated to the gym as all of those things and much more can be found on every single surface in all public spaces.

True…..but how often are you spending 20 or so minutes sweating over some public surface deliberately?

Though that said, unless you have an open wound or like to put your hands in your mouth your are at ~0% risk of catching anything, other than some OCD.

I’m not really worried about catching anything….I’m just not interested in sharing other people’s body fluids. :)

Is OCD contagious? I didn’t know that. :p
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/15/2012 1:35:01 PM

This thread’s about men, though, that’s why I emphasized their particular sweat.

As an aside to this thread I wonder how many guys think the women at the gym who never work hard enough to break a sweat are more attractive as the ones who do.

It's a good thing that most men in thier 50's are not significantly turned off by women who are hot and sweaty as Hot Flashes can and do happen at the most inopportune times to menopausal women.
 steveis863
Msg: 20
Posted: 10/15/2012 10:37:07 PM
Ive been training for 10 years and have no worries with my goals and what i need done in the gym either its a beautiful lady, a bunch of juice heads, or people who just walk around and talk tough etc,
you go in and get what you need done. I dont pay 90$ a month to go somewhere to stare, show off or act like a docile sheep because of the aspect of how people should treat you or view you.
the longer you've been training and the amount of people you mean along the way etc will
make it a life hobby and something you can easily adjust to even going from gym to gym.
people view working out like a massive stereotype.

when a lady whos hot gets near me, one stare and im done, i can keep my focus on my workout 100%
not many guys can do that.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:42:02 PM
I've been going to the gym for over 40 years.

Males are males and no need to pretend otherwise. Every guy in any gym I've been to knows exactly where and what any good looking gal is doing. Those who claim otherwise are either gay for full of crap.

As for a woman wearing baggy sweats, etc...it doesn't matter. If you are pretty, we notice you. If you have big boobs we notice them.

We can control how we act...be respectful, etc. but we can't control what we're thinking.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 7:59:56 AM
Hot girls make no difference to me in a workout situation. Enthusiasm helps, but not just because there is a random hot chick there.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2012 11:39:31 AM
Gyms as a place for social gathering? So what? I've been going to gyms every week for over 40 years. The best thing that can happen at a gym is you get to know a few guys and gals...it gives incentive to go and enjoy the experience. We also learn from each other.

No reason one can't talk about the election and do dumb bell presses at the same time. Some times when on the mat doing crunches we get each other laughing and it just makes for a fun time.

Anyways, even in my late 50's I'd notice a pretty gal if she's a cashier, at the gym or climbing out of a dumpster...
 Red_5
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/22/2012 11:55:16 AM

I suppose it is the testosterone pick or simple showing off.

I thing it's a simple statement that homo sapien has stopped evolving since Cro-Magnum.

In 1000,000 BCE Aylaa was walking her cave lion across the steppes and met Jondalar.
Jondalar showed his strength by wrestling Aylaa's tame cave lion to the ground and made him submit.
Aylaa humped Jondalar in return for his heroics.
The next morning, Aylaa made Jondalar clean the cave lion's litter box.
Humanity has been doomed ever since.
 junkfoodjunkie79
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/22/2012 2:45:20 PM
It is somewhat motivation... Although when one comes by me at the gym, so does 5 other guys, grunting and dropping weights.. I go to the other side of the gym then.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Do you workout harder/more intense if an attractive female is around?