Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What women really look at on your profile...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PretzelLogic101
Msg: 5
What women really look at on your profile...Page 1 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
Surprise surprise...The ***holes winning and the nice guys finishing last! Remember fellow dudes be a total ass if you wanna get that poon
 I-am-Rei
Msg: 7
What women really look at on your profile...
Posted: 10/15/2012 4:10:26 AM
OP what are you complaining about? Some men are equally guilty of what you have described here. Even if the woman is a biatch she will received messages from these men because she is so hot. No such thing as double standard here. You are just another case of blaming others except yourself for your lack of success instead of working on your self-improvement.

spot4username
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:03:34 AM
Water seeks its own level.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:39:59 AM

Water seeks its own level.

^^Yes it does.

Who cares if a bunch of low self esteem women responded to an ad meant to degrade? Unless thats the kind gals you like?

So because 10 women did so, all women are like that eh? I see.

lol!!!
 windchymes
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 8:26:22 AM

but my point was the the guy with the looks and shitty personality would overall have a lot more success than the nice average guy.

Well, what's your definition of "success"? Lots and lots of replies from unstable nutcase women who are attracted to such a profile, or finding the gem amongst the rocks by being yourself that progressed into a decent LTR? I don't know why guys who start these threads all seem to think that quantities of crap are so much better than a few genuine letters of interest. Why do I have the feeling that they have received nice emails from women in the past that have gotten tossed into the bin because the photos weren't smokin' hot?
 OutMind
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/15/2012 8:58:34 AM
Very interesting. And I agree with the OP. I do have to add, that in my profile, when I began to talk about the type of behavior that I didn't like, I actually began to get women to respond to my profile. Some of these complements actually lead to more communication and eventually dates. So perhaps what these women were impress about your friend was not that he was good looking, but he dared to be blunt and to the point, as opposed of sugar coating and saying that you can make women laugh.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 19
Posted: 10/15/2012 9:59:24 AM
Well, no one ever accused all 22 year old women as being rocket scientists. Sounds as though the OP attracted the 'bimbo' squad. No big surprise there.

I will admit that if a picture on a profile is not attractive and the guy looks like he belongs up in a bell tower somewhere, it doesn't matter HOW eloquently his profile is written - I ain't gonna be interested.

Good, bad or ugly, that's my 2 cents.
 madeintn55
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 10:22:39 AM
I actually am sure I saw this profile and was completely offended......I would not have messaged him if he were the last man on earth.......there were probably alot more like me.
We aren't all as shallow as others, I like to think anyway.
Good experiment tho'...lol
 TRESemme1
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/15/2012 10:36:40 AM
The picture is the correct answer.

The degree of education is second.

The self description is third.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/15/2012 12:18:32 PM
What I gathered from this experiment that makes it unique is that he was able to GET emails FROM women.

Online - it really does not matter the sexes - both men and women have their fair share of babes, geniuses, morons, freaks and psychopaths. That 'Bell Curve' (made from desirable-to-undesirable messages) we have to assume for the most part has not changed for this experiment.

Women messaging Guys are STILL subject to the same Bell Curve of babes, geniuses, morons, freaks and psychopaths - but the QUANTITY is significantly smaller, like 10x to 40x less. It's like comparing a bell shape (Guys) to a horizontal pillow (Girls). There's not a whole lot of arguing these points, because a lot of studies will tell you something similar;

zdnet.com/blog/violetblue/ten-fake-profiles-one--experiment--on-trial/1405

The 'status quo' for the most part is that MEN are STILL considered to be the instigators for a relationship online. MEN are expected to sent out the first message, and they still do for the most part. Those messages are STILL coming from every part of the Bell Curve of guys, so the signal-to-noise ratio of sordid emails to boring emails to legitimate messages of interest has NOT really changed. Guys come into these forums begging constantly for some key reason why ladies will NOT message them are still left wondering out loud.

What this guy did was got the women's bell curve to go up a little higher. The QUANTITY of emails changed. What PART of the Bell Curve the responses came from is anybody's guess. What he's done is proven being an azzhat online gets some emails, and more than the 'usual' number. <===That's about it! Anything else is speculation.

I have to agree with the results somewhat - after being on Match for two years with virtually nil for responses, I decide to let my paid account expire. I changed my profile from a cheerful 'dating resume' to an angry rant about how hypocritical people get in online dating. For about a week I got a large number of responses - but the key thing was, they were NOT people looking for a date WITH me - they were basically just agreeing and complimenting what I had to say.

I seriously believe a major problem with dating online is that ancient stigma that the GUY is has to make the first move, but that's a subject of another thread;

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11616983.aspx

(Judging by the huge number of times that same topic appears in the 'Ask a Girl' Forum, it definitely has a reason for debate. -- What I don't get is why women seem to treat this lack of communication as a DEMAND for one individual's attention - it gets turned into a selfish request, even though the guys really don't care who you message FIRST.)
 billingsmason
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/15/2012 12:34:52 PM
spot.... this is the best I've heard in a while.

OP- funny how many read your post and were like alright- bash fest! lmao
You were clear about the some not all.... still you got men saying yeah, they biatches, and women saying yeah they pigs...

Funny stuff. I put a bunch of random nonsense and an abs shot up, got tons of replies. I put the bad cell pics back up- not so many... but still have to weed out the BS. You almost have to read between the lines to find that someone special, and even then- who knows if they're not being honest.

It would be refreshing to just get straightforward no nonsense replies. Trouble with that: we all have our own ideas about what nonsense is....

Question- Do you read the profiles of women you don't like their pics? I do not most of the time.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 2:18:44 PM
It's so refreshing not to have a gold digger thread..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I would imagine the same type of women responded positive to the fake jerks profile as would the type of men that respond to a womans that had sexual looking pictures up and similar man bashing.

Wanting to bend the bone backwards
 KalGrl
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 4:24:37 PM
Wow another whiney boy thread
The hotties don't want anything to do with me because they are so shallow waaaaaaaaa

Grow up
 KalGrl
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 4:59:09 PM
the whiney boys are out in force aren't they -

Why are there so many misogynists on a dating site never ceases to amaze me .
 KalGrl
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:09:08 PM
If anyone needs therapy it's clearly a male on dating site who hates women LOL

Anyone with half a brain know what this thread is about :Incredible male specimen (not) thinks he is god's gift to women and entitled to a 10 since this is not happening he must find an explanation of course it couldn't be that he is an ignorant, bitter self absorbed misogynist oh no it must the entire female sex.
 KalGrl
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 6:15:48 PM
OR

Just noticed you are from Orange County that explains it all LOL. I know it's difficult when you only have a sixth grade education not to show your ignorance and actually post something that makes sense.
 grove_22
Msg: 51
Posted: 10/15/2012 7:10:18 PM
This is not the first time this experiment has been done. Of course, good looking photos will get more emails ( even if they have a poor profile ) because many people on dating sites only care about looks. However good looking photos + good profile will probably get the most emails.
 I-am-Rei
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/15/2012 7:24:09 PM
I NEVER said this applies ONLY to women... matter of fact I admitted that the men's side might be just as bad if not worse,

You could have entitled your thread with: "What people really look at on your profile. " This what ticked the women here, you intentionally singled us out.

Also, have you thought of another interpretation with your so called experiment? The only conclusion you drew was that the d-bag's profile got more success than your boring ones (though how you equate success with emails from retarded women I don't know?) Another conclusion that could be drawn is: That there are more losers or emotionally inept women(people) lurking on POF.
JMO

Drawesome32
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/15/2012 8:43:44 PM
OP: just give up man. the POF world of perpetually single women cant possibly be shallow to the point where they are broken and undateable. its these stupid "nice guys" fault for being so...nice! its not their fault that your friends profile was full of good looking pics, or chemistry, as the ladies call it.

ive conducted similar tests to what you did, just many more of them. i was getting paid to basically play around on the computer all night for a while there so i had the time to really work on it. its all about the pics man. every single thing that women bash about men on these profiles for doing will be forgiven if your pics are hot enough...trust me. on the flip side, every single thing that women SAY they want in a man doesnt mean squat if your pics are just an average looking guy. its not just dog ugly guys not getting responses, its just regular guys, being ignored by regular women.

i really dont think this is a problem that all women share, just most of the ones who are online looking for...whatever it is theyre actually looking for. there are still a few decent women out there, i just dont suggest trying to look for one on POF.

try not to let the results of your experiment bother you. like you said, you already kinda knew, you just confirmed it. many of the men who use online dating are now on to this sort of thing, and the men who were legitimately looking for something other than an easy lay, have pretty much all moved on.
 forgiven33
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/16/2012 1:00:42 AM
Wow thanks I see why you found a man again thanks
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/16/2012 2:49:15 AM
Point of order; Sarcasm in posts like these is generally NOT read that way, because the emotional tone of the poster can NOT be explained that easily in a text message without adding some sort of 'sarcasm' comment to it. Yet another problem with online conversations that people tend to ignore and feel they don't need to explain - then get angry when others mis-interpret their words.

I would really appreciate everyone stopping the man-bashing and female-bashing and realize the reason why stuff like this gets attention; the profile stood out as something different. Whether it was indeed the photo, or the content of the rant therin, it doesn't really matter. There are far too many people, websites and dating 'advisors' out there that keep encouraging people to write the same crap over and over again - filling profiles up with the same optimistic BS for the same 'damaged' souls who apparenly demand sunshine get blown up their arsehole every day. Pictures end up being the ONLY thing that IS encouraged to individualizes each other, even though words DO carry a lot of weight.

When people demand to make them laugh - you gotta realize that 'humor' is NOT OPTIMISM - it's usually pretty angry and self-depricating. When people like proclaiming they are indeed 'attractive' or 'a good catch' it's usually a sign of low self-esteem or narcissism. When people write really long profiles, they tend to like very SHORT emails. There's a million ways human beings contradict themselves. If you cannot see that happening, or refuse to aknowlege the possibility of hypocrisy in your own statements and actions, then you are indeed part of the PROBLEM, not the solution. Ignorance in our pasts is a big reason WHY we are all in online dating, and a big reason why we cannot get back out.
 anunu
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/16/2012 10:18:41 AM
I'm glad I'm not one of those shallow females that simply go for a hot bod!
It's obvious the females that message him was not looking for anything long term. Just a quick roll in the hay with a hot bod.

I know pics are the first thing people see, but, I am completely turned off by the men who don't even bother to read my profile and just say "hey beautiful, I want to meet you. Here is my number"
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:05:43 PM
Out of all the changes I have ever done to my profile improving photos has made a huge difference every time.

I really don't think you should consider one aspect of the profile a everything. Every part of it is everything. By this I mean you can't have a great profile and bad photos. Also great photos and a bad profile (at least as a guy) will also fail.
 Dare to
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/18/2012 4:52:51 PM
Your experiment proved that SOME women go for the sexy pic and nothing else.. If the roles were reversed and the woman posted the sexy pic she would see similar responses... So I'm not really sure what you were trying to prove.. "People" respond to sexy pics and thats all there is to it..
The heading of this thread implies that ALL women ONLY look at the pics, and ignore the rest of the profile, which is incorrect.. And that is why so many women here are getting upset.. The HEADING of your thread is painting us all with the same brush..

Remember fellow dudes be a total ass if you wanna get that poon
This comment struck me as quite ironic in the circumstances.. It was surrounded by posts complaining of women looking only at sexy pics, but not one of those posts saw this attitude as offensive.. Seems it's ok to search for 'poon' (not women, not relationships, not anything of quality, just 'poon) but not ok for women to respond to a sexy pic..

There are many examples throughout this thread of women being contacted soley for their picture, regardless of the content of their profile but that seems to be largely ignored by the 'protestors' in this thread... wonder why that is.....
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:11:01 PM

the heading of this thread implies that ALL women ONLY look at the pics

I don't think they only look at photos. I just think if they don't like the photos they won't move on and look at anything else on the profile.

For an in depth scientific study into how both genders dating site messaging is effected by looks your should google "your looks and your inbox".

A snip from that study.

As you can see from the gray line, women rate an incredible 80% of guys as worse-looking than medium. Very harsh. On the other hand, when it comes to actual messaging, women shift their expectations only just slightly ahead of the curve, which is a healthier pattern than guys’ pursuing the all-but-unattainable.

Basically the ladies want nearly unattainable looks AND a good profile but are willing to stoop to emailing an 8 out of 10. Where as the guys will email a babe who's profile reads "I yike tater totts".
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What women really look at on your profile...