Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How songs provoke our thoughts ....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stan_77
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How songs provoke our thoughts ....Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
You know, I was listening to that 80s masterpiece the other day by Foreigner which is called "I want to know what love is". I listened to every word of the song trying to make some sense of its storyline and meaning. From what i can understand it basically tells the story of a heartbroken shattered love seeker who has gone over every hurdle and beyond to find love, acceptance and genuine connection. Its something that I can identify with but given the song is nearly as old as myself it probably came at the wrong time, yet remains relevant to today's society where divorce rates are nearly at 55% or more. In this day and age, with fast performance targets, technological precision and generally short attention spans of the forever texting public I wonder about this song and its message. What exactly is "love"? Is it translated as "love you long time" or "luv u txt u l8tr". I know this is a wildly broad topic but I would be interested to hear on anyones reflections. Also, have a listen to the song and tell me what your reflection of love is in the context of the song so we are on a similar wavelength. Cheers, Stan
 greenIsis777
Msg: 2
How songs provoke our thoughts ....
Posted: 10/18/2012 8:33:47 AM
ack! I am so tired of people wanting to delete posts!! anyway -

love that song! It does seem weird listening to songs that are 20 or 30 years old that sound like they could have been written yesterday and are just as relevant today as back when. (universality, key to great writing, right?) what I love about music is it can evoke emotion with just a few simple words, and I mean powerful emotion, sad, happy, or anything in between. that's because you can identify with what is being expressed. there are no attachments, you can apply whatever meaning you want to it. so for some people it might be short term text love or forever love or heartbreak or it can bring back happy memories. why I love music sooooo much!!! so open, no boundaries, no rules, complete expression and personal interpretation and connexion to the whole field of human emotion. you can love a song for 20 years and find out later what the writer was writing about and it's something completely different than you thought. doesn't matter. an artist offers it to you, you love it for whatever reason.

LOVE ~ I think it's just a term for a person you like very, very much and are willing to make a commitment to. someone who brings out the best in you. I don't think it has to mean anything more than that :D
 WinterIsComing80
Msg: 3
Posted: 10/18/2012 11:28:53 AM
I used to listen to a lot of music, but then I took an arrow to the knee.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 8:57:04 PM
I think love is the courage to say I will check in every now and then (every month or year) to make sure my feelings towards you are as solid as it has been so far. Anyway, that would mean much more to me than someone claiming a life long guarantee.
 Arata_na_Yoake
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/18/2012 9:56:01 PM
I like listening to fast paced J-Pop music when I work out, but when it comes to love or a peaceful state of mind I've got some very good instrumental songs.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/19/2012 2:55:20 PM

You know, I was listening to that 80s masterpiece the other day by Foreigner which is called "I want to know what love is"

I vote that for top 5 on "things a man should never admit".

yet remains relevant to today's society where divorce rates are nearly at 55% or more

Perhaps people, en masse, stopped caring what love is? (I know, I know; but really, maybe?)

Also, have a listen to the song and tell me what your reflection of love is in the context of the song so we are on a similar wavelength.

In a word: No
 Lilbitofsugaandspice
Msg: 7
Posted: 10/20/2012 11:40:35 PM
Hmm good memories come from this song, It was my prom theme song. I think its about after going through heartbreak wanting to find something that can endure.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/21/2012 9:23:17 PM
You know, I was listening to that 80s masterpiece the other day by Foreigner which is called "I want to know what love is". I listened to every word of the song trying to make some sense of its storyline and meaning. From what i can understand it basically tells the story of a heartbroken shattered love seeker who has gone over every hurdle and beyond to find love, acceptance and genuine connection. Its something that I can identify with but given the song is nearly as old as myself it probably came at the wrong time, yet remains relevant to today's society where divorce rates are nearly at 55% or more. In this day and age, with fast performance targets, technological precision and generally short attention spans of the forever texting public I wonder about this song and its message. What exactly is "love"? Is it translated as "love you long time" or "luv u txt u l8tr". I know this is a wildly broad topic but I would be interested to hear on anyones reflections. Also, have a listen to the song and tell me what your reflection of love is in the context of the song so we are on a similar wavelength. Cheers, Stan

Just some food for thought - the lyrics may not pertain to romantic love at all, just love in general, leaving it wide open to interpretation.

I don't. They were a damn good band, and Lou Gramm is one of the best rock singers in music history.
 Octane_Rush
Msg: 9
Posted: 10/28/2012 5:49:52 PM

I don't. They were a damn good band, and Lou Gramm is one of the best rock singers in music history.

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Quite incorrect.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 10
Posted: 10/29/2012 10:24:05 AM

Just some food for thought - the lyrics may not pertain to romantic love at all, just love in general, leaving it wide open to interpretation.

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Quite incorrect.

You like Foreigner?? You're kidding me?
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2012 10:27:40 AM
love songs hmmmm.........how bout crazy **** by buckcherry?
 Octane_Rush
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/29/2012 11:03:36 AM

Not at all kidding.

love songs hmmmm.........how bout crazy **** by buckcherry?

..or anything by the maestro, Morrissey.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 13
Posted: 10/29/2012 9:00:04 PM

Every guy likes "some" Foreigner, no?

But "that" song? I always thought "that" song was one they wrote for ladies to chill to; while listening to the album!

After all; they gotta be in the mood too, right?

;)
 aussieblues
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2012 9:25:27 PM
I'm a singer by trade and music really drains me. Lyrics mean nothing to me personally, if I didn't write them; i'm just regurgitating by rote memory. I cannot listen to the radio as I get strangely moody. I sing the Blues a bit, because I feel something, not because my dog done left me. I'm free in the 12 bar format. Free to soar and land when I please.....
I won the Foreigner 4 Album in a radio comp as a kid. Loved em because Lou Gramms voice, not because I wanted to know what love is ;-)
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/29/2012 10:00:14 PM
Every guy likes "some" Foreigner, no?

Any guy with taste should, yes. "I Want to Know What Love Is" is far from my favorite song of theirs, but they put out a string of very solid albums over the years.

I'm a singer by trade and music really drains me. Lyrics mean nothing to me personally, if I didn't write them; i'm just regurgitating by rote memory. I cannot listen to the radio as I get strangely moody. I sing the Blues a bit, because I feel something, not because my dog done left me. I'm free in the 12 bar format. Free to soar and land when I please...

If I'm performing a song (a cover, more specifically), the lyrics absolutely must be something I can emotionally connect or relate to in some capacity. Emoting is a huge part of singing, and if I'm feeling uninspired by the song, I really don't want or need to be performing it.

However, from a listener's standpoint, I don't need the lyrics to be deep and meaningful if the melody, atmosphere and musicianship is strong, but it's even better when artists can create something musically and lyrically interesting.
 stan_77
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2012 4:58:22 PM
Re: " You like Foreigner?? You're kidding me?"

In this day and age of Justin Bieber and petty commercial pop the depths of
talent and likes of Foreigner will NEVER be seen again.
 Octane_Rush
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/31/2012 2:55:16 PM

In this day and age of Justin Bieber and petty commercial pop the depths of
talent and likes of Foreigner will NEVER be seen again.

Yeah, they provided manly ballads in addition to some flatout kickass tracks. I'm always cruisin' round town at night with "I Want to Know What Love Is", "Urgent", "Hot-Blooded" and "Waiting for a Girl Like You."

Foreigner 4 is one of the best albums ever.

Today's best doesn't match with the worst of yesterday.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/8/2017 1:52:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNR4cBlRqU
 gtomustang
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/8/2017 1:56:16 PM
Since this was posted so long ago, I can be cynical about it...i'm sure rock bands try to make the lyrics rhyme when the put together a song (except Pit Bull). Still, "what is love"? It begins with loving who is in the mirror. Respect that person, and others will as well. But if you seek love as if its a missing piece of your puzzle, you may find what you get is a dependant relationship...dependant on that one piece to make the picture of you, complete.

Admittedly, I preferred WhiteSnake back then to Foriegner, didn't find out until recently the band came from Deep Purple roots? I liked the guitar work, but i'm also a fan of George Lynch. no bed of roses, indeed.
 forumslady
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/8/2017 2:25:43 PM
gtomustang- The foreigner song, I want to know what love is, has more than one stanza.
One talks about Love in a way that sounds like dependency, seeking love in others, but if you take the song as a whole, all of the stanza's, to me it's saying he's had his heart broken, but he's willing to take the chance again.
I'm a bit of a romantic, it's one of my all time favorite songs.

Which group had Deep Purple roots, GTO? Foreigner or Whitesnake?

I had no idea of the connection with either band to Deep Purple.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/8/2017 2:30:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wvHVGvyUzY
 Cowgirlwannabe1
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2017 5:40:54 PM
crazy **** by buckcherry?

hahahaa I like that song
 Nestaron
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/8/2017 11:18:48 PM
Whitesnake had deep purple connection

I want to know what love is by foreigner is exactly what it says he went through alot of failed relationships and he kept believing that he could find a relationship that would endure. Basically my life :P
 forumslady
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/9/2017 4:55:58 PM
Nestaron- " Whitesnake had deep purple connection"

Thank you for answering. I had no idea. What is the connection?

"I want to know what love is by foreigner is exactly what it says he went through alot of failed relationships and he kept believing that he could find a relationship that would endure. Basically my life :P"

That is a lot of us, Nestaron. The thing is, I've learned to like myself and to be happy by myself. It's made a difference. I do get what you are saying, though. I might be happy, but it would be nice to find someone.
I'll hope for that, for both of us. (Cheers) :)
 Nestaron
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/9/2017 5:18:21 PM
You cant please everyone so you got to learn to please yourself. It's what I do whatever makes me happy and when I can put smiles on other people's faces but usually when I just messing around keeping myself happy like dancing in Walmart to the songs. Running upto to a lady and say you hear that song thinks it is our future wedding song what you think. Actually I am just kidding but hello nice to meet you I am ..... and daughter is pushing me away saying how she cant take me anywhere. I do weird stuff like that from time to time and it's not like I will ever see those people again.

Like this one day I went door to door just knocking on people's doors and said I am just going around making sure all the ladies are being treated like the queens they are. That was fun for my own amusement, think I was like 23 then but it was funny and my friends called me hopeless but had a good laugh. Police showed up asked what I was doing so I said oh look a policeman, officer if I laid down on the ground could you use your chalk to draw a line around me? He said have to shoot you first. If that will get you to draw chalk around me fire away he told me to get lost before he charged me with disturbing the peace.

Which brings up another song always look on the bright side of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > How songs provoke our thoughts ....