Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > tax site / way to enter tax info online      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 1
tax site / way to enter tax info onlinePage 1 of 1    
Does anyone know of a site where I can pull up tax forms and enter the figures while online but not have it filed (yet) so that I can print it and review it, then later submit it?
I'm not great with searches and I would greatly appreciate any help in finding a site like this- preferably a free one. The IRS site et al- I can only find a way to do an online submission.

Thank you :)
 Dncdesign_Broken_Profile
Msg: 2
tax site / way to enter tax info online
Posted: 10/18/2012 2:55:43 PM
Turbo Tax - You can start for free but cannot finish for free. However you can do a screen print or capture of the forms after you fill them out.

http://turbotax.intuit.com/
 bucsgirl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:23:48 PM
Let me give you a warning about using the free sites. Once they have your information prepare for a shitload of spam.

The IRS has the tax forms available online, you can enter info directly onto the forms and save a copy. If you need more help, IOW don't know what forms or how to fill them out, then you can use one of many free sites. Turbo Tax is owned by Intuit, which also owns Quickbooks and Quicken. Having used their paid-for products, they're always trying to sell you something.
 Sniper308
Msg: 4
Posted: 10/18/2012 4:46:25 PM
I'm not great with searches and....

Ma'am:

I'm always helping people with "computer things" and pulling over to help people stranded along the highway... and I'm really big on teaching people to fish rather than giving them fish (although I actually prefer hunting and don't care for fishing, in literal terms). So, let me see if I can empower you a bit.

First, Google is your friend. A plague be upon the single-cell organism responsible for fielding "Live Search." I have nothing overly generous to say about Bing, for that matter, either.

Now then... site-specific searches. From the "search window" (the narrow "bar" on, for example, Google's website where you can enter text), type (without the quotation marks) "site:domain" "words used to find what you want" and hit enter. For example... you want tax forms? Here's what I did to find the domain; I entered "taxes" and hit the enter key. That told me the IRS' domain is "irs.gov" (gov = government, mil = military, com = commercial, org = organization, and so on -- we'll skip country codes for now). Armed with this knowledge, you would (wanting forms, for example) type "site:irs.gov" "forms" and hit enter. This will give you every searchable reference to "forms" at the IRS website AND NOWHERE ELSE, because you specified the site to search. The format for such searches is site colon domain and then enter your search criteria. If you want LOTS of results, do not contain your search criteria inside quotation marks. If you want to narrow the focus of your search, DO contain your search criteria inside quotation marks.

In your case, however, you might try a (Google) search of +file +taxes +free (the "plus" signs will mandate a "mention" of the word following the plus sign) and hit enter. You could also try something like "file taxes" and +free (and hit enter, of course), which would get you everything where the term "file taxes" was mentioned along with the word "free" (somewhere on the webpage). There are a lot of other things you might find useful, but I don't want to overload you.

You also don't need "full domains" -- if, let's say, you only know the site you want is a military site, for example, you could enter something like site:.mil (that's "site" and "dot mil" crammed together) and then the words you want to use for your search. Take some time to try out a few simple searches, across the entire Internet and then some on specific sites... I think you'll get the hang of it. To be really effective in your searches, think of how you would promote a certain site to a friend. As another method, if you owned a dress boutique, for instance, and you wanted to advertise it in papers, magazines, and on the Internet... you might use words like: dress, dresses, cloth, fine, best, and... well, I don't know what else, but I'm sure you do. To do a really good search, use the same kind of words as you would if it was your business and you were writing an advertisement about it.

Again, these are just a few of the things you can try when you do searches.

Lastly... enter this exactly (i.e., WITH quotation marks as shown):

site:google.com "Search results options and tools"

Then, go to the first result listed.

Godspeed and happy searching, ma'am.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 5
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:07:33 PM
Thank you very much for your replies.

bucsgirl- hey there :) I always forget that if I use the free sites then they target me for spam. Thanks for the reminder.

Sniper: you have no idea how much I appreciate all of this information! THIS is what I have been wanting to learn for years and no one has ever explained it in this much detail. I will utilize this information and do some practice runs. I'm forever grateful. I hope that anyone in the forums reading your post may gain from it as well.

Too cool, sniper. I did a site specific search on the IRS forms as suggested and it gives me a broader range of forms within that site. Good stuff.
By doing so, I was able to go straight into prior forms etc within that site and tried typing directly into the forms to print and it works. Hallelujah. Thank you, thank you.
 Sniper308
Msg: 6
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:25:38 PM

Hallelujah. Thank you, thank you.

You know, I go days on end (frankly, to be truthful, it's more like weeks and months at a time) fully convinced I'm in the top 20 of Most Hated Men on Earth (and probably in the top 10 at POF). So, you have *no idea* how much you've lifted my mood. I'm glad I could help. Knowledge should be shared, that's how I look at things. I'm really glad I could help you and thank you for thanking me, ma'am... you truly improved my day -- and you're most welcome.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:26:55 PM
notdating-forumsonly You're welcome!

Sniper, that's awesome, I'm going to save your post, that's great information.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 8
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:44:10 PM
^^^Isn't that awesome info bucs? I'm saving it as well and will use it to pass on to others.

Sniper, I understand where you're coming from. I'll be frank. You do come across in your posts with a strong opinion.
Personally, I find that to be authentic and that's tops in my book. Some people are natural helpers and teachers, sts, and sometimes that may come across as annoying when it's not requested, but I see each person as the individual they are an readily accept them for who they are. So, I stay fairly neutral IOW. That isn't often understood, but it's who I am.

If I may offer some unsolicited advice to you to help you out (?) The photo of you that looks like you cut people out doesn't look good online. I think your best photo is the one of you and your dog- I believe it was the last one-
another is your current main photo. Per the forums, and per women on the forums in particular, they share that they aren't big on too many pet photos and that they would rather see photos of the guy. So maybe it would help to have the last one with your dog and the other two I mentioned and see how that goes. I hope this isn't offering information that you don't want. If so, please ignore it.

Based on the info that you shared, what I feel was going to take me three days of work may get done this evening and in the morning, if needed. Thanks again.
 robin-hood
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2012 8:08:51 PM
Use last years turbotax. Taxes don't change that much from year to year. The deluxe version is what I use and you can download your state income tax. Did a search on ebay and 1st one $12.00 + free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=turbo+tax+2011

Hope I didn't break any rules here
 Molly Maude
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:30:24 AM
I always used to use Turbotax ... did not notice any additional spam ... I paid
more than what Robin-Hood quoted but that was a few years ago ... recently,
I discovered that, if you're over 62 or so ... which I am ... there are lots of CPA
type people who are willing to do my taxes for FREE ... as long as my taxes
weren't too complicated ...

in my case, for years, I had a family trust from which I received monthly checks
... and no one would do THOSE taxes for free because it gets too complicated ...

since I've become over the age of 62 and unemployed due to the economy ... I've
discovered there are a lot of "deals" or even "freebies" out there ... all I've had to
do is ask ... the electric company, gas company, water company, etc. have all
given me "senior discounts" ... all I had to do was ask ...
 bucsgirl
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:41:12 AM
"Use last years turbotax. Taxes don't change that much from year to year."

You should never use any other year's information other than the year you're filing for. The amount of dependency exemption and the filing status deduction (married, single, head of household, widow) changes EVERY year. You would be losing money by not taking the proper amount and have a higher taxable income.

Sorry robin hood but that's just really BAD advice.

What all the paid programs do is walk you through a tax interview. If you have the same type of income, haven't had any major changes, IE sold a house or stocks, etc. and you know what forms you need and how to fill them out then there's no need to pay anyone for forms.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 12
Posted: 10/19/2012 12:22:28 PM
This advice that Sniper gave is working like a charm:"site:irs.gov" "forms" and hit enter.

I filled in the forms on that site but when they printed the numbers were offset. I learned the hard way to save the form in downloads and then to go in and fill it out and save to print...after I had done the full return the other way. They didn't save. *Cough* Ha.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:23:50 PM
Huh, I did some tax work last year and was able to fill in the forms online, save a copy of the pdf. We didn't print, but I think the problem you may be having is that you're using the Adobe reader version which is free, so the functions you can do are limited.

I just tried to save a form, it only allows the pdf format you can't save it as any other type file. So, you can still fill out the forms and save them as a pdf. So the only problem is printing. If you're going to file electronically, do you need to print? If you're going to file by mail then you would have to print. Otherwise, they are fine being saved electronically, so if you can file electronically there shouldn't be a problem.

That's all I can think of to do, I hope it helps. If I can't post again, there's a limit to no more than 2 of the last 10 posts but you can always email me on the site. I have no restrictions.
 robin-hood
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2012 1:14:17 AM
Robin was thinking she was just trying to get a handle on her taxes, as pertains to certain forms. Wasn't thinking of filing taxes using those forms. But still, 2011 should be current as of now, since I don't think the IRS has released any revisions for tax year 2012 so far.

The reason 2011 turbotax is so cheap is because its last years tax forms, and will print the tax year 2011 on the forms.

I don't fill out any tax information on line, or use a site that could possibly use that information for their own purpose. In fact, I don't file electronically and mail my returns in.

Turbo tax still allows you to fill the forms out directly, but there are still some work sheets. Nice thing about using turbotax is you can play what if scenarios, store your info and play another day. Comes in handy when also filing California income taxes.

As for taxes in general, if you just have a W2 form, and maybe file a schedule E, it can be filled out by hand, but the IRS does provide forms in PDF format which information can be entered with a keyboard. As for being able to save the PDF with your information attached, or if the forms can do math I never tried.

bucsgirl > Read many of your posts throughout. Very impressive !
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/20/2012 9:33:53 PM
The problem I am finding with the pdf forms online is that I can't enter the info on the 1040 form the various schedules and have it auto calculate things. Revisions etc are all done manually which is causing a lot of time and effort. What may I do to enter the figures and revise it and have the figure all carry over in that revision without using something like turbo tax?
I'm in the IRS site on their forms.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2012 7:39:24 AM
"and have it auto calculate things."

It won't, the IRS website has JUST the forms, it doesn't do any calculations at all. The online version is just a pdf version of the paper version. If you know what forms you need and made any and all calculations then you can fill out the forms online. Unless you're preparing your 2011 return you can't prepare your 2012 forms, first because the year isn't over so you don't have any year-end figures, plus the IRS has not published the 2012 forms yet.

The filing status deduction and dependent exemption amounts both change every year. Plus any revisions in tax tables, you wouldn't have those for 2012. I'm sort of confused about what you're trying to do. If it's for 2012, the information isn't available for that yet. I don't understand what you're trying to revise and why.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > tax site / way to enter tax info online