Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Traveling Alone      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Traveling AlonePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
@7: I did that in Australia. It is quite a good idea as it removes the one major problem with going on your own: if something goes wrong, what will you do? Particularly true if there's a language barrier as well.

I'd still prefer to do it with someone I know and trust, though.
 TaTz_007
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Traveling Alone
Posted: 10/24/2012 12:18:34 PM
I prefer it.. especially as none of my friends have any money to travel anyway. Plus, if you go with your mates you then have to agree on what and where you're gonna go etc. Also, it makes you lazy when trying to meet strangers outside the circle.. personally, I always go to hostels alone and soon meet fellow travelers there. I like this as it develops your confidence with approaching others and also translates to the dating world too.
 try1more
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Traveling Alone
Posted: 10/24/2012 1:15:55 PM
agree with tatz!
i've done it both here and belgium, holland and germany (that was for about 3 months in the late 70's)
i wouldn't have met the people i met if i wasn't alone.
hitch hiked across france with a mate.
on your own you have complete freedom, no compromise.
it's not for some, but i preferred it while single.

to add to what tatz has said, strangers will also be willing to approach "you", where they probably wouldn't if you weren't on your own.
 flaneur001
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Traveling Alone
Posted: 10/24/2012 2:23:51 PM
I travel a lot for work (over 100 days per year), so I'm used to being a road warrior.

I also travel for pleasure, it's my way to decompress. I take several holidays a year with friends. I generally take two weeks alone in the summer time (this year it was Hvar, Zagreb, Paris) and in the winter ( this year I went to Buenos Aires). Given that I spend most of my time in hotels for work, I prefer when I'm on vacation to rent an apartment. I really appreciate (need) the time to just relax, read, and walk around exploring the city. As others have said the upside of traveling on your own is that you get to meet people that you might not meet if you are traveling with a partner and you get to do whatever you want.
 gmiljus
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Traveling Alone
Posted: 10/25/2012 2:27:40 AM
i have done both...and traveling solo is better
i have only done europe....which is pretty safe
 LongsightM13
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Traveling Alone
Posted: 10/26/2012 2:37:45 PM
Personally I would say travel with 1 other person, ideally your best friend!

However remember to give each other space, as you will be spending a hell of a lot of time together, maybe even try and mix it up, Me and my best friend did it, but we would often go off on separate trips or days out. I think with one other person you will have great memories that you can reminisce about, but you will also want to meet people too, often it's easier in a duo too as you can bounce off each other. It needs to be somebody that you're really good friends with though.

Hostels can be a great way to meet people, check them out online first though, as some are more lively than others.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Traveling Alone