Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > humor  > songs that scared us when we were kids      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 planeinthegrass
Msg: 1
songs that scared us when we were kidsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I grew up in the 70's and 80's. As a child some songs had parts that scared me.

Heartbreak Hotel, Jackson 5 (there is a repeated sound effect in the lead-up to the chorus, sounds like somebody scooting a couch across a floor and it doesn't want to go. Another sound effect, the climax of a crescendo toward the end, that sounds like a seagull getting beaten to death in about 1.5 secs).

Silly Love Songs - Paul McCartney (the beginning sound effect...like somebody wearing clompy boots is scooting a couch across the floor and repeatedly dropping a chain).

Hemispheres - Rush (the way Geddy screams at the end)

The Reflex -Duran Duran - a silly sounding lyric that contains a voice sample that sounds like a robot saying "yeah" in a large bathroom, "why, i,i,i,i, wha-wha- why,i,i,i ("Yeah!").

Liar - Three Dog Night..."Liar!"

Immigrant Song - Led Zepplin..."Ahhhh! AHH!" (the screams at the beginning).

Fire - Ohio Players...the fire truck siren and the off-time hoots of the singers in the beginning was creepy. I had no inkling it was supposed to be sexy.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
songs that scared us when we were kids
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:58:32 AM
Pretty much anything Led Zeppelin did in the early 70's. Wailing and dark sounding reverb. Ugh!
 tinapenny
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/6/2012 6:59:57 AM
The theme music to Dr Who
 planeinthegrass
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/6/2012 12:06:43 PM

When my daughter was about four, she told me she was frightened by the song 'Row, row, row your boat'. She said it was because of the line 'Life is but a dream' - she thought it might be true. My little philosopher.

Awww, cute! Well make sure she doesn't watch the original "Dirty Harry" movie. The schoolbus hijack scene toward the end has a pretty traumatic presentation of "row your boat".
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 12:39:00 PM
Music from ScaryMovies/Series even if not really gory & such.. still like CandyMan,Poltergeist &others .. shivers &then theres TheWizardOfOz.. not sure why but its a like-dislike thing even now.
Thinking..I think too song from Jaws was abit scared of but having ppl pounce on you..&in water..Yea lol
&Actually theres a not so old movie & the song played..hate it it kinda freaked me out.Think Lyrics something like "sweetdreams are made of"?
 The_Big_Slim
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/7/2012 7:48:37 AM
I don't know about the song itself, but when I was a kid I vaguely remember this video I watched and it scared the hell out of me ... it wasn't till about maybe 3 years ago I found out the name of the song. A Criminal Mind - Styx ... even to this day for some odd reason it still gives me the shivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIjddye2JSA
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/14/2012 7:47:16 PM
Mike Olfield- Tubular Bells: "Piltdown Man"
Pink Floyd-Echoes: "One of these days"
 meanlilchick
Msg: 8
Posted: 11/14/2012 10:32:22 PM
that video Jeopardy.. with the zombies chasing him... n Thriller!!
 kittinn
Msg: 9
Posted: 11/17/2012 7:18:46 AM
Owner of a Lonely Heart - YES
- the video freaked me out when he washed his face with maggots.

And Criminal Mind was by Gowan.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/24/2012 9:11:29 AM
The End by the Doors
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2012 5:36:19 PM
"Blood on the Saddle" by Tex Ritter.

Heard that on an album of Family Hits when I was five.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/30/2012 9:15:41 AM
Napoleon XIV -- "They're Coming to Take Me Away"
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/30/2012 10:13:48 AM

"They're Coming to Take Me Away"

Now that you mention it, that one creeped me out too.
 Brodigy
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/6/2012 11:00:08 AM
Black Sabbath by....Black Sabbath

Child in Time by Deep Purple
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/4/2013 5:18:06 PM
"D.O.A." by Bloodrock, 1971. Very scary. Plane hits something unknown. Blood everywhere.

"Timothy" by The Bouys, 1971. Very creepy. About a murder and cannibalism.

"Send in the Clowns" by Judy Collins, 1975. Clowns! They're here! They're here!!! Ahh!!!

CaptainTeebs
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/5/2013 9:04:28 PM
Jeff Wayne's musical version of "War of the Worlds"
 Molly Maude
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2013 12:19:03 AM
I heard that song, "Blood on the Saddle" by Tex Ritter when I was a
little kid, too ... it never scared me ... I was just impressed with the
WEIRD way he sang it! he drawled out the words until, to me, they
were more FUNNY than scary ... I'd always laugh ...

my favorite song when I was maybe 4 or 5 was "the Streets of Loredo"
about a dying cowboy all dressed in white linen and cold as the grave!
who's dying today! I'd ask my Dad to sing it any time we had a cookout
and bon fire where everyone was playing guitars and singing favorite
old songs!

what scared me was the cradle in rockabye baby in the tree top that
falls, baby and all ... or the prayers about dying in my sleep! now THAT's
a great way to put a kid to sleep!
 monocryl
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/26/2013 3:54:31 PM
No scary songs for me.
It was classical music in the minor key: I got force-fed quite a bit of it.
 jojoaus
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2013 12:40:35 AM
OMG!!! Accessed that link and it scared the sh!t outta me! Probably shouldn't have watched it in the middle of a 2 week stint alone in the house.....
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/9/2013 11:38:06 PM
Three Blind Mice:

"Three blind mice! Three blind mice! See how they run! See how they run! They all ran after the farmer’s wife, who cuts off their tails with a carving knife! Did you ever see such a thing in you life, as three blind mice!"

What a horrible image — those little mice squeaking in agony and stumbling around with their mutilated, bloody tail stumps, while a chorus of children’s voices jest in the background.
 dwmitch
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2013 2:19:59 AM
Anything with a theremin back when I was a kid. Things changed, though, and now I actually want to get one or at least see if I can make my own. I don't remember any specific songs because I intentionally blocked them out but a lot of the songs on Dr. Demento use to disturb me.

I'd listen to the show because he'd play songs I liked that you couldn't otherwise hear on the radio (plus I was a big fan of Whimsical Will's news segments) and I'd have a hard time getting to sleep because of some of the songs I heard. It got to the point to where I quit listening altogether because he stopped playing the songs I liked and seemed to only play music designed to shock and offend.

No more The Streak, no more Thirty Point Buck, it seemed like both hours (at least the station I listened to broadcast two hours, may have been longer in some markets) were dedicated solely to songs poking fun at murder, glorifying drug use (and not the way rock music allegedly does. There were songs that were thinly veiled pleas to legalize everything from pot to meth), and political songs advocating things that, at least in that day, even the people on both extremes of the political spectrum would be protesting.

Half the time I went to bed angry over what I heard. The other half I went to bed terrified that there were actually people out there capable of thinking this stuff up, comedy or not.
 dwmitch
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2013 1:10:53 PM
I almost forgot about it until it was used as the background song in a local radio commercial. Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival use to scare me as a kid and still does.

The first time I heard any part of it was in the car with my mom. She shut it off immediately then said the first time she heard that song just as soon as it ended one of her sisters came in and told her that her friend drowned at the swimming hole she left an hour earlier. The second time she heard it all the way through was the day of her mother's funeral, when a cousin of mine who moved in with my grandparents to help take care of her was listening to it. As soon as it ended my dad came into my grandpa's house from the hospital, took my mother aside, and told her one of her sisters had passed away and they needed to figure out how to tell my grandpa, since he had already buried his wife earlier that day.

Now my aunt's passing wasn't unexpected since she was already in the hospital with an aneurism that couldn't be treated (probably could have today with surgery, but in the 70s all they could do was wait). In fact, my dad and one of my uncles missed my grandmother's funeral to stay with her, and since he was already on the road when the song came on (he had to be to get there at the end, as it's a 35 minute drive from my grandparents' old house to the nearest hospital) it's safe to say that it's just coincidence. But it is a strange coincidence that both times my mother heard the song all the way through right at the end someone announced a death to her.

Eleven years ago when I found out that CCR was the band who did "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Have you Ever Seen the Rain," and "Someday Never Comes" I bought their hits CD. I always skipped Bad Moon Rising because I knew my mother didn't like the song, but one night I had my headphones on so I listened to it all the way through before bed. After that song I shut it off and went to sleep, making it the last song I heard that day. The next morning my mother came into my room to tell me that she was going to my uncle's house because my cousin Alan was killed in a car wreck a few hours ago.

Now I wasn't raised up to be superstitious, but my family has two superstitions that I observe. The first is that saying the age at which you think you'll die sets it in stone (stemming back to an uncle who always said he wouldn't live past 25, then he died in a car wreck a week after turning 25) and the second is to avoid listening to Bad Moon Rising all the way through. To this day I cannot stand to hear that song.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/20/2013 1:59:26 PM
The theme song from Halloween (the first one with Jamie Lee Curtis)......always scared me, still scares me......

Come to think of it, the Jaws theme song is scary too.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2013 1:18:09 PM
as a child, I do think the scariest was "Rock A-Bye Baby" ... although
"3 Blind Mice" is probably equally as disgusting and creepy as the
thought of a baby falling from it's cradle in the tree ... those poor
little mice ... horrid farmer's wife ...

as an adult, I HATED that "Alone Again Naturally" song ... and the
"I'll Be Watching You" song always gave me the creeps ... but the
ending of that song the Mamas and the Papas sang about the
earthquake coming to Los Angeles ... the wailing of the dying ...
shudder!!
 Gwynn38
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2013 9:16:01 AM
rock a bye baby was scary one to me lol I mean really.
Show ALL Forums  > humor  > songs that scared us when we were kids