Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Balanced media coverage...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Balanced media coverage...Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I wonder why most of the media, and that includes television and newspapers, tends to be biased towards liberal and progressive viewpoints. How many newspapers or tv channels openly supported Romney ? Should media coverage not be at least equally distributed, that is, shouldn't there be the same amount of news outlets supporting either side ? Are journalists inherently 'leftist', and if so, why ?
I am just wondering...
 NymbusZeroKenny
Msg: 2
Balanced media coverage...
Posted: 11/14/2012 12:52:11 PM
not inherently I think it all just depends on who and what group is paying the fees for advertising and the station managers views on things
 Molly Maude
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 12:54:44 PM
guess it depends on where you live, what channels you watch, etc. during much of the recent
election, I was upset at how conservative most of the coverage was ... how "close" the poles
showed the two candidates ... shrug. point of view.

bottom line is that, in my humble opinion ... t.v. shows will say ANYTHING to get an
audience ... I doubt if "Truth" ever even crosses the minds of the writers ... but I'm biased ...
as stated, just my opinion ...
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 1:01:37 PM

The better educated, more cultured and more sophisticated you are the more likely you are to be liberal.

Good point, but is that really true ? Because what that means is, essentially, that people with a more right wing stance are...stupid, or at least, not as educated, cultured, and sophisticated ?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/14/2012 1:29:14 PM

I wonder why most of the media, and that includes television and newspapers, tends to be biased towards liberal and progressive viewpoints.

Two reasons:

1) The talking point that the media is bias is just that, a talking point, brought up by ultra right wingers and can not be validated by any 3rd party source and is quickly contradicted by research groups like Pew.

2) The truth tends to have a liberal bias.

...How many newspapers or tv channels openly supported Romney ?

Does not matter.

...Should media coverage not be at least equally distributed, that is, shouldn't there be the same amount of news outlets supporting either side ?

Yep it should be, but thanks to Roger Ailes (who was a political adviser for Reagan at the time) the Fairness Doctrine was abolished and pretty much laid the groundwork for infotainment, better know as Fox News, which has no mandate to tell the truth or provide a balanced view.

Are journalists inherently 'leftist', and if so, why ?

Because the truth is inherently left.
 OyVay...
Msg: 6
Posted: 11/14/2012 1:30:29 PM
Interesting...well first, I think that much of this can be traced to that hero or villain Edward R Morrow. He was the first real newscaster to inject more opinion, than just pure news into his broadcasts. In his mind I believe he set out the news and THEN put his view to it.

Today's news, is far different than yesterday's. For one thing, you have to understand that the news was a loss leader for many broadcasters. Something they provided to inform their viewers. But when it came on, mom went to finish dinner and serve it, the family sat down and ate. Only to return after homework and the dinner clutter was finished, for the primetime broadcasts of popular shows.

That changed when broadcast companies, decided to tinker with the model and make it a profit center, as well as informative. A gorgeous weather girl, or a folksy one, more sports coverage, eventually adding a hunky looking former sports figure. The stage was now set for "news as you like it"...

"tends to be biased towars liberal and progressive viewpoints"

Hey, what do people want to get involved with? What will draw a viewer in? The status quo? Or a rally cry for change of some things, that viewers deem unfair...now entering your living room were images of space walks, but also images of the Viet Nam war, the civil rights movement. Joy for some who embraced change, and a pain for others who wanted the 'good ol days'...

I don't think the nation is nearly as divided as many want to see it. I think they want fair, want to see changes that will make their lives better...but the key word in that is "change"...unfortunately there are some who see change as inherently difficult, if not down right unamerican.

This crusade to change the news to attract new viewers, has also spawned a very dangerous side effect. "Your news" or "my news"...no longer need facts, just something that makes us feel the newscasters have our side in any issue. So we have spawned a set of WWE type of broadcasts...FOX and MSNBC one caters to conservatives, the other to liberals...and should be viewed as "entertainment" more than news....

Ah...but why do I say that? Because in news, there is a multi-facted view of the story. There are at least 2 sides to any story...to present one without the other is not news, it is merely propaganda. You can see it in any of these shows...they have on guests to give their views on the story..but heavily weighted to slant the story in the favor of the audience they are appealing to.

I think this idea, is more important than the number of outlets to support either side. The story told in a balanced and professional manner is more important than the side you want to buy the shit your advertisers are selling.

JMHO
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 1:47:27 PM

Statistics show that Republicans, on average, are less educated than Democrats. Less educated people have lower IQs and tend to be less cultured and sophisticated.

If that is true, why are 60-80% of welfare recipients Democrats, as well as more than 70% of the long term unemployed ? I guess there is no clear correlation between the ability to make a living, and your level of education. Education might even work to your disadvantage. I know many smart people who are verbally very eloquent, but who have no marketable job skills.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:11:55 PM
Actually, if you were a more "right" leaning person, and favored what the modern Republicans do (i.e. having pretty much everything decided by profit margin, and managed by capitalist private enterprise), then you would NOT support the notion that media coverage should be "equally distributed."

This is because telling a private or publicly owned company what it may and may not do, is officially against Republican ideals of unfettered capitalist free competition.

Now I know that like the Democrats, the GOP rarely actually adheres to it's declared beliefs and principles, especially if they think advantage to them is to be gained by ignoring them. So I can well understand that the Right leaning folks and other Republicans might claim to desire "fair and balanced" reporting, even though it's "agin" what they want.

An interesting side issue within this discussion, but a very important one, is to establish WHO decides that news coverage IS more left or right leaning, and how they determine it.

When I was growing up, the left used to loudly proclaim that any reports that didn't support their prejudices and assumptions, was biased against them. Apparently, the Right decided that that was an excellent approach (why they admire leftists so much that they imitate them is beyond my ability to fathom), so now THEY claim that if the report says they were wrong, then it's left-wing inspired, and if it says they were correct, then it's "fair and balanced."

So before it is rational to ask if reporters are left or right biased, you must establish a way to determine what makes a news report biased at all. All groups have claimed at one time or another, that regardless of the fact that a given report is 100% factual, that the ACT of reporting it is what proves the bias of the reporter.

Next, comes the accusation that the TIMING of reporting factual information is a biased act. This is the funniest thing that I see happen. I've seen more than one scandal be reported, and witnessed the group that stands to lose the most from it politically, angrily denounce the report on the grounds that "the opposition KNEW we'd pulled this scam a long time ago, but chose to report it NOW, because the election is coming up!!!!"
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:17:30 PM
I googled the same article you are quoting from. You forgot to mention that most of the aid that goes to these states is used for military spending, farm subsidies, and infrastructure development. They should break down the percentages that each of these states use for various aid. That would get a clearer picture.
 pescando75
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:32:07 PM
Wouldn't it be a dirty trick if the CORPORATIONS which owned the media outlets followed their own agenda while spreading the IDEA that we're on a very "liberal" path.

Kind of like America is marketed as the "freest nation on Earth" whilst having the largest prison populations. It's all spin.
 OyVay...
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:36:04 PM
"If that is true, why are 60-80% of welfare recipients Democrats"

Oh so this thread has nothing to do with "Balanced media coverage" and is just another thread to foist shit information about democrats...gee makes me sorry I tried to educate you...

Another republican hiding his head under a rock....please vote to delete this thread....
 moonwalkerman
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 2:53:05 PM

Oh so this thread has nothing to do with "Balanced media coverage" and is just another thread to foist shit information about democrats...gee makes me sorry I tried to educate you...

Another republican hiding his head under a rock....please vote to delete this thread....

I am not a Republican, I don't live in the US, and I cannot vote there. I am from Germany originally, and I live in The Netherlands. Most media coverage over here is very 'liberal', whatever that means. I speak a couple of languages, and thanks to the Internet, I read many newspapers, worldwide. Maybe I am wrong, but my impression is that most tend to lean to the left.
Personally, the only thing were I am 'right' is when it comes to standing on your own two feet. I think it should be a national shame to live off the government. Everything else is none of the government's business. Issues such as abortion, gay marriage etc. should NEVER be issues at all in a political campaign. Let people do whatever they want.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/14/2012 3:10:36 PM
Since the media does not proclaim me totally awesome...
then yes, it is skewed.

And as I have never been allowed on TV or radio,
I feel a conspiracy is afoot.
for sure.

but as to your question,
everyone thinks the media is skewed if it doesn't agree with us in every way.
and in every detail.

We should just get over ourselves.
and quit thinking our wisdom on everything....
should be everyone elses too.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 3:30:44 PM

I think it should be a national shame to live off the government.

Just fyi, there is more than one kind of "living off the government" in the U.S.

People collecting Social Security, are not taking advantage of a "welfare state" concept, they are getting back the money that was paid into the government on their behalf, precisely so that they COULD have a pittance to get by on late in life.

The 1970-style "welfare family" that the American Republican Party wants everyone to believe still exists, has been gone for decades now. All but a tiny few of the infamous 47%, are getting small returns, on monies they paid in as taxes of various kinds, or in the case of military retirees and injured veterans, they are receiving pitifully tiny portions of what those who complain about them should be doubling or tripling.

So before you get too self righteous, get more specific.
 matchlight
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:33:21 PM
Statistics show that Republicans, on average, are less educated than Democrats. Less educated people have lower IQs and tend to be less cultured and sophisticated.

I don't know what statistics you mean, but I doubt them. That sounds like something so-called liberals have ginned up to bolster their delusion about how very smart and cosmopolitan they are. Most are anything but. Leftism is a quasi-religion based on old, long-discredited statist ideas about coercing and controlling other people, but to make that very unpleasant prescription easier to swallow, it is sugar-coated as being nice and caring. That lets its adherents feel warm and smug about what good people they are, even as they destroy everything they touch in the society.

Leftism is for the dim and intellectually lazy--a jumble of feel-good notions and bumper-sticker slogans that don't require any serious thinking. I met lots of so-called liberals in college and graduate school, and almost all of them were very ignorant, particularly about economics and U.S. history. They didn't understand how constitutional government works, or care, and they had a strong self-righteous, intolerant streak. The leftists on these forums show the same angry, outraged intolerance of anyone who dares question their dogma. And they are none too bright to boot, so they try to fake it. They can't keep up in a reasoned argument, so they rely on obscenities and vile personal insults to try to make up for their lack of substance.
 OyVay...
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:49:21 PM
Matchstick!! Your back! What happened to ya buddy? We thought you might have developed pthomaine poisoning from too much meatloaf!!! Did mom tuck you in and give you your stuffed bear for comfort on election night??

We thought for sure you'd be gracious and congratulate us on a well earned victory....yeah right! Hahahaahaha!!!

I see you can still spin a tale...more boogie men under the bed huh?

"I met lots of so-called liberals in college"

Really? Was that at the Locca-fury law and beauty school?

"they rely on obsccenities and vile personal insults"

Awwww, are you talking about me? Gee, I didn't know you cared!

You really don't have a sense of humor now do you? You see OP, this represents the usual view of those on the right in our country. While I kid the hell out of him, he doesn't post a single point about the ontopic. Instead he resorted to a base attack on the beliefs of an entire group of people. One he has no use for. It's not that some conservative ideals or ideas are bad, it's just they believe it is the ONLY idea or ideal that counts.

Face it pal, the country decided to reject your current rendition of the way government should work. They accepted the fact that freedom of religion is also freedom FROM religion. That as in the past, the rich paying a few bucks more in taxes is fairer than a free ride with no estate taxes or no capital gains tax.

Ain't free will and a free electorate a b1tch? Hahahahahaha!!!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/14/2012 4:53:18 PM
You can tell when arguments become slogans when you can easily switch words
to recycle em.

Like below:

"That sounds like something so-called CONSERVATIVES have ginned up to bolster their delusion about how very smart and cosmopolitan they are. Most are anything but. RIGHTISM is a quasi-religion based on old, long-discredited statist ideas about coercing and controlling other people, but to make that very unpleasant prescription easier to swallow, it is sugar-coated as being nice and caring. That lets its adherents feel warm and smug about what good people they are, even as they destroy everything they touch in the society.

RIGHTISM is for the dim and intellectually lazy--a jumble of feel-good notions and bumper-sticker slogans that don't require any serious thinking. I met lots of so-called CONSERVATIVES in college and graduate school, and almost all of them were very ignorant, particularly about economics and U.S. history. They didn't understand how constitutional government works, or care, and they had a strong self-righteous, intolerant streak. The RIGHTISTS on these forums show the same angry, outraged intolerance of anyone who dares question their dogma. And they are none too bright to boot, so they try to fake it. They can't keep up in a reasoned argument, so they rely on obscenities and vile personal insults to try to make up for their lack of substance."

Now I don't believe the above.
Just switched words to show the difference between typical sloganeering
and a well thought out argument.

In a slogan you can substitute one word for another and it still makes sense.
In a well reasoned argument it wouldn't make sense at all.

So carry one.
Folks don't even have to bother thinking to reply.
Just switch words and repost it.
Slogans are easy that way.
:-P
 flyguy51
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/14/2012 5:06:50 PM

Should media coverage not be at least equally distributed, that is, shouldn't there be the same amount of news outlets supporting either side ?

See: The Fairness Doctrine

Caution: Mentioning that doctrine is akin to putting a ferret in a Republican's trousers.
 mungojoe
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/14/2012 5:29:00 PM

Just switched words to show the difference between typical sloganeering
and a well thought out argument.

In a slogan you can substitute one word for another and it still makes sense.
In a well reasoned argument it wouldn't make sense at all.

I think you are expecting too much... Kind of like expecting that FOX would voluntarily follow the principles of the Fairness Doctrine out of pure Randian Virtue... Neither one is likely to ever happen...

We thought for sure you'd be gracious and congratulate us on a well earned victory....yeah right! Hahahaahaha!!!

And I KNOW you're expecting too much... I suspect it won't be too long until it all becomes an conspiracy of the Islamist-enabling, leftist media to subvert the nation by sapping the will, nay, the "vital bodily fluids", of the American people...
 vlad dracul
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 5:41:19 PM
''Ain't free will and a free electorate a b1tch? Hahahahahaha!!!''

aren't they just? imagine folk in europe trying to preserve THEIR culture, tsk what are they thinking
about? after all the wests msm and their allies constantly promote other folks culture as being something
that needs to be preserved.
pity that preservation does not apply to europeans though eh?

balanced media lol oh how we laughed.

so with a biased media and their working class/nation hating frankfurt school of thought cultural
marxist brd fellows always trying to undermine european culture is it not time to start banning
political partys who want to preserve european culture? after all it seems from the wee examples below
that normal folk are just not listening to the cultural marxist windbags.

Europe’s far right
Culture matters more
The far right in Europe is rising in many European countries in spite of its inability to provide a coherent economic message
http://www.economist.com/node/21560294

POLAND
Clashes broke out in Warsaw as riot police confronted right-wing nationalists during a Polish Independence Day march.
Some of an estimated 20,000 marchers threw fireworks and bricks at police who responded with tear gas and rubber bullets.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20286409

RUSSIA
More than 40 Russian Marches were held throughout the country during the day.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2227913/Thousands-swastika-wearing-Russian-nationalists-march-Moscow-protest-immigration.html#ixzz2CFU4hCRT

UKRAINE
What does the ultranationalist “Svoboda” Freedom Party’s 10.5 percent share of the party-list vote in Ukraine’s October 28th parliamentary elections mean? Is it the end of the world? Have Ukrainians embraced fascism and anti-Semitism? Or might there be somewhat less alarmist explanations for Svoboda’s showing?
http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op-ed/world-affairs-journal-understanding-ukraines-ultra-nationalistic-support-315997.html

HUNGARY
Support for Jobbik, or the Movement for a Better Hungary, is strong and the party could well hold the balance of power between the ruling Fidesz party and the left wing opposition after parliamentary elections in 2014.
That could allow Jobbik to wield a decisive influence over the government, pushing pet issues such as a rethink of European Union membership and a realigning of economic ties towards countries of the east.
http://news.yahoo.com/insight-hungarys-far-party-gains-targets-roma-063339677.html

GERMANY
Right-wing extremist attitudes are on the rise in parts of Germany, particularly in the east, according to a study released on Monday. Young people appear to be at the highest risk, the researchers warn. They are calling for greater social engagement and educational programs to combat the problem of xenophobia.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/friedrich-ebert-foundation-far-right-attitudes-increase-in-germany-a-866701.html

but yippee lets all embrace free will and a free electorate. as long as they use their free will to only vote
for parys the cultural marxists approve of. after all cant have those pesky free willed voters having
a choice now can we?

Germany's far-right NPD party has taken the unusual step of asking the country's highest court to confirm its constitutionality in an effort to avert a possible future attempt by the government to outlaw it. Mainstream politicians have dismissed the move as a populist stunt and say it is high time authorities move ahead with their bid to ban the party.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-far-right-npd-asks-court-to-affirm-its-constitutionality-a-867186.html

Greece's Golden Dawn isn't a political party – it's more like a criminal gang
The thuggish members of Golden Dawn, with their neo-Nazi ties and attacks on immigrants, should be banned from parliament
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/04/greece-golden-dawn-not-political-party
 OyVay...
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/14/2012 6:13:18 PM
Ahh vlad...yes Europe seems to be in tumult with the changes there over the last 30 years. From the downfall of the communists, to the rise and fall of the various government rules of the mediterranean nations and their social left wing agendas...frankly I don't blame all of them one bit...

Like a man staggering in the desert, he will walk toward a mirage looking for something to drink. These people have been staggering for a long time..longer for some of the eastern european nations, especially russia, who are closing in on 100 years since Lenin.

We have discussed this before, communism is an ideal, that is flawed in concept, all working for the common good of all. Except the leaders take liberties with more than a little extra. Then Ivan only builds 2 Tv's a day to Igor's 10...but both receive the same compensation...vastly flawed.

Greece decides you can retire at 50 or whatever, soon to be 29...who wants to work anyway? Alas the government borrow not only from peter and paul..but from anybody who will listen and implodes on itself.

But I can't address those problems, they aren't mine, they also don't reflect the good ol US of A! By all means we have our issues. But a gander back at the last 40 years shows an interesting statistic...20 years of republican presidents and 20 years of democratic ones(oops, a little ahead of myself 1976-2016)...during that time a majority of it was congressional leadership in the democratic favor...but not by much, in both houses...

Now neither was particularly what I would call "fiscally conservative"..in fact they were just pigs at a trough, no matter whether they were in either party, they both spent wildly on their pet projects... so we come to this horrendous time when we ALL must tighten our belts and make hard choices. Or ride the same roller coaster of europe at some not to distant point.

Now the choice is what, when and who...sorry but the wealthy here must take their drubbing along with the rest of us. The question is who will try harder to make us take our fair share of castor oil! Mitt's golden give away was not deemed the right road...I doubt the middle class will be happy with their share either...but to me, and apparently the majority of americans, they decided to let Obama begin the process for them, hoping to not have the deck stacked by some oopsies..by a romeny give away of no more estate taxes, no more capital gains taxes and to the military industrial complex one last christmas gift of 2 trillion dollars...

I guess my point is simply neither party seems to be doing as good a job as they could. But in the end, the hint of a taste of return to shrub's toyland was too much...and that was what romney was all about...
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/14/2012 7:51:09 PM

" ... Math ...a republican four letter word. ... "

DEBT: The favorite 'democrat' four-letter word.
 OyVay...
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/14/2012 7:59:01 PM
I am rather curious, how you justify that in a thread about "Balanced media coverage", rather than post it in say....oh I dunno know...the voter ID thread???

Even then, why not ask for an official inquiry, rather than try and use some dating site forum, for what could be a legitimate complaint...kinda strange...

Or is this some trivial beck 'their trying to beat us' wet dream...if you have the proof you say..it should be no problem...

I have been yelling on that thread about getting voter ID laws passed and enacted if that cures your itch...3 years is plenty of time for all states to put legislation and implementation in place...just make it affordable and easy to obtain.

Then again, this isn't about TV coverage is it? It's about your losing.

We don't need more propaganda, we need more balanced news coverage...but that's a whole nother kettle of fish...and kind of the subject of this thread...
 flyguy51
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/14/2012 8:01:38 PM
Hey, here's another article from that nifty site, and what's even better, it is *ahem* ontopic:

Wouldn’t it be great if a Republican presidential candidate could just buy the support of just about every major conservative talk show host in America? Well, it may not be as far-fetched as you may think. Clear Channel owns more radio stations (850) than anyone else in the United States. They also own Premiere Radio Networks, the company that syndicates the radio shows of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck, among others. Needless to say, Clear Channel basically owns conservative talk radio in the United States. So who owns Clear Channel? Well, it turns out that Bain Capital is one of the primary owners of Clear Channel. Yes, you read that correctly. The company that Mitt Romney ran for so long is one of the “big bosses” over virtually all conservative talk radio in America. Of course Mitt Romney is not running Bain Capital anymore. He is a “retired partner”, but he still has a huge financial stake in Bain Capital. We’re talking about millions upon millions of dollars. If you doubt this, just check out page 34 of this public financial disclosure report. So if you have been wondering why so many conservative talk show hosts are being so incredibly kind to Mitt Romney, this just might be the answer.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/bain-capital-owns-clear-channel-rush-limbaugh-sean-hannity-glenn-beck-michael-savage-etc

As always, "follow the money."
 Aries_328
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 8:57:57 PM
Media bias is rather difficult to quantify. It's in the words and word choice and not easily calculable without weighting a significant amount of stories with context interpreted by someone that was themselves unbiased.

It's easy to say most media is not biased to the left because most of the world media is biased to the left so that is 'normal' Having the opinions of an opposing view gives them the appearance of being balanced but if that view is presented as 'the opposing view' and is 'right' then that requires there position to be counted as left.

You have to pick a descriptors that define Right as well as Left. People commonly call themselves liberal but idetnitfying as a leftist is rare. Does that mean that their positions are not the same as leftits? No. It is not the same for the Right. Many openly declare conservatism and although Right wing is kind of offensive it is for the most part accepted as it is opposition to leftism. Leftism is virtually claimed to not exit. So how do you describe both sides when only one side identifies?

Liberals have the position of feeling like they are the ones that are center. They just stay left of center and call themselves liberal. They can turn socialist and still call themselves centrists. They can fight against every form of right wing position and ideology and do so in numbers and protests and still be just liberal. It's basically a catch all for not calling oneself a leftist.

So, who is going to possibly measure the bias of the worlds media? The liberals? They will always find balance. It's always their position. If anyone on the right finds a media biased to the left it is because the right wing is biased and only sees it's own side.

The media is like-minded and anyone that opposes their viewpoint is opposition.

We have lost the press. They are no longer about truth. It is just entertainment.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Balanced media coverage...