Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Is GEEK the new BLACK???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Brad1383
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Is the overlooked, book-smart, mathematical genius geek now the new HOT??? With shows like Beauty and the Geek and Big Bang Theory and the romances between Rich and Greta and Leonard and Penny (Leonard and Penny knock,knock I love that) Where was I..ahh yes..are brains now preferred over brawn??? I don't know about you...but find geeky girls a turn on!!! Give me an IQ of 160 anyday! What do you all thnk???
 Aardente
Msg: 2
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/16/2012 8:51:14 PM
no (in my opinion)

Cheers,

Paul :-)
 Hilly02
Msg: 3
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/16/2012 11:30:29 PM
Is the overlooked, book-smart, mathematical genius geek now the new HOT???

Sh1t no.....geeks rate alongside Ranga's, Bogan's, Crips and Blimps.
Nature is designed though, so that nerds like nerds....it has to be this way otherwise the geeks would never ever get laid.
:-)
 3ffervescent
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:02:54 AM
I don't agree with you Hilly...

I am not a geek (I don't have the IQ) but, I certainly do find intelligent men damned attractive.
The last man I dated was a radiography lecturer with a genius IQ --

Unless my spider man PJ's make me a nerd, I think that it is a yin and yang thing.
 Aardente
Msg: 5
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:07:36 AM
Yeah, think that makes you a nerd ;-)

cheers,

paul.
 Hilly02
Msg: 6
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:17:00 AM
Maybe im mistaken but I thought that a geek was just someone who was socially inept, dull and a bit unfortunate looking. I didn't think intellect came into it.
 3ffervescent
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:19:35 AM
^^^^^says the guy with a Masters degree...

Is that a case of "I know you are, but, what am I?"

I am not going to apologise for not being attracted to men that think "wanna root" is foreplay...
 Brad1383
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:30:50 AM
I suppose someone who has their nerdiness and ability to communicate and function as normal person being in balance is what I am hearing :) Not someone who is a the other end of the spectrum with Asperger's who is highly intelligent.

BTW, Aardente has anyone ever told you you look just like PITBULL the rapper in your photo, it is uncanny!!!

Cheers

NERDS 4 LIFE LOL!!
 bela_kiss
Msg: 9
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:37:59 AM
Sh!t I thought this was gonna be another one of those racism threads...is nerd the new 'N' word.

I am not a geek (I don't have the IQ) but, I certainly do find intelligent men damned attractive.
The last man I dated was a radiography lecturer with a genius IQ --

Yeah, but was he good looking too? Cos it seems that since you wrote that in response to Hillys post, you're suggesting that being Smokin' hot and a genius are mutually exclusive, which would make me an anomaly cos I'm both but ugly and dumb as a plank of wood....My Danger Mouse PJ's trump your spiderman pajamas though.
 Aardente
Msg: 10
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:44:27 AM
actually they have, but they are let down as in my other pictures you can see we are not alike ha.

jefferson should have added 'nerds are not attractive to most women except to other nerds' as truths we hold to be self evident ha.

on the other hand, tilting my hat to revenge of the nerds, maybe there is a a little nerd in each of us.

cheers,

Paul.
 3ffervescent
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:49:51 AM

I suppose someone who has their nerdiness and ability to communicate and function as normal person being in balance is what I am hearing :) Not someone who is a the other end of the spectrum with Asperger's who is highly intelligent.

Funny you should say that, I teach communication skills - and he had aspergers's.

Yeah, but was he good looking too?

Not in the traditional sense of good looking... (if that makes sense)
I did find the fact that he was an "extra" in Xena Warrior Princess (back in the day) hysterical...

He was Sweet and Smart and that was attractive to me.
 Brad1383
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 2:01:44 AM
Sorry ervescent if I sounded like I was ridiculing Aspegers I was just using it as an example. But,many people with the sydnrome are highly intelligent yet the social part is missing.
 Brad1383
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 2:04:40 AM
Ervescent, I worked for the Crowle foundation in Sydney and 50% of clients had Aspergers, one client wore his pants up so high I thought he was going to cut of his circulation and go blue, you have to laugh sometimes it is all that will keep you sane in this industry.
 3ffervescent
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 2:16:40 AM
No, not in the least -- Sheldon is most definitely someone with Aspergers -- just like him.

The man that I dated (wasn't over his ex), and the Asperge's was icing on the cake... He couldn't meet my needs on a communication level, and felt guilt over being intimate with someone other than his ex. He thanked me for ending things with him, as he didn't know what he should do, as he realised that it was too soon to be dating me (2 years for him).

I don't know what the Crowle foundation is -- but, google is my friend....
 RoobeeChooseday
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 2:30:26 AM
Give me a nerd over some other types any day.

I dont struggle to keep up with most men on an intellectual level, and would much rather be mentally challenged than to have to "dumb it down"...
I find dumbing it down to keep a conversation going so very draining.
 tinapenny
Msg: 16
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/17/2012 5:58:56 AM
I think geeks always have been attracted to geeks, its just Mr and Ms average that are becoming educated by television. With age comes wisdom however. How many times have you heard someone say that they overlooked someone at school as not being attractive but have a new appreciation for them now that they're older?

Since the most important sexual organ is the brain....then yes, brains are sexy. In that sense....size matters.
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 17
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:59:14 PM
In context of relationships, I'm not convinced that either brains or brawn offer anyone a sensible stand-alone factor for partner choice. There's way more to it than that. Someone who can only converse about physics would be just as boring as someone who could only converse about football. Someone overly impressed by their own brain would be just as egotistical as someone who is overly impressed by their own muscles. Someone who intellectually bullies their partner would be just as undesirable as someone who physically bullies their partner. Extremes and stereotypes are rarely attractive, no matter which end of the scale they are applied to. Reality is... it's not either/or. You generally want both, in the right degrees, and teamed with other relevant qualities and characteristics that make the person interesting, enjoyable to spend time with, and capable of sustaining a healthy relationship.

I only watch the show infrequently, but ...Leonard being smart and liking comics and Penny being blonde and liking football does not automatically equate to some sort of "unlikely match". Leonard is cute, and doesn't strike me as portrayed as totally socially inept. Penny doesn't strike me as portrayed as completely vacuous. When considered as individual characters rather than stereotypes, they aren't so far apart really. (I have no idea who Greta and Rich are?)
 greyingred
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/18/2012 8:03:01 PM

'that being Smokin' hot and a genius are mutually exclusive,'

Wish that were true, there are a lot of 'blonde' men out there. Here are a list of well known men that I would definitely go out on a date with, David Mitchell, Billy Connolly, Leonard (the character and the fact he is an actor both of which aren't really geeks) Alan De Botton, David Cox, Obama, the last three are definitely not ugly but their professions makes them fall into the geek category. Ha just realised that non of the above a socially inept...so maybe I did answer, nope it appears in the true sense of the word a geek would have probably died upon reading my profile, if not then on the first date.

Can't truly join in pyjama game but does a white cotton head to toe genuine Victorian nightgown complete with high lace collar and frilly cuffs count?
 bela_kiss
Msg: 19
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/19/2012 2:18:01 AM

I would definitely go out on a date with, David Mitchell

Yes, but going on a date is a long way from jumping in the sack, or into a relationship. Hell even I'd go on a date with David Mitchell, but sex, even if I was a woman or gay (which I'm not, honest, 'cept for that one time in the army, but that doesn't count, hey?)...eeww, he's just too weird looking. Would you honestly bed him?

OP, I don't think reality TV is a particularly good reflection of our culture, if that was the case then the obesity epidemic would have been halted, farmers wouldn't be growing anything cos they'd be busy fighting off bimbo suitors, and people in share houses would have stopped taking drugs and having sex with each other, and resorted to sitting around having mind numbingly inane conversations.
 Brad1383
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/25/2012 4:40:23 PM
Excellent points Mrs Naamah , you summed up exacty what I was trying to say. Life all about balance neither the ying or the yang, but the ying and the yang in moderation of course! Rich and Greta are the couple on Beauty and Geek oz.
 greyingred
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/26/2012 8:00:19 AM

Would you honestly bed him?

Okay agree that one does freak me out a bit but the clever brain is seriously very attractive. But in theory, yup to Billy, Alan, David and Obama. And since Obama is the only one that is black and a geek seems I, defined as the beauty, choose him first ;-)
 RorschachTM
Msg: 22
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/26/2012 12:02:45 PM
Going by OP's original argument, does that mean with shows like Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore and The Shire that we as a society idolize bunch of stupid, talentless and promiscuous people, only because they are aesthetically pleasing? I would like to think otherwise. Perhaps its an arguable point with people like Paris Hilton... Intelligence always has been an attracting factor when we are looking for partners, which is different from being a geek.
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 23
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/26/2012 6:45:13 PM
Going by OP's original argument, does that mean with shows like Jersey Shore, Geordie Shore and The Shire that we as a society idolize bunch of stupid, talentless and promiscuous people, only because they are aesthetically pleasing?

Not sure about idolising, but many people do seem to know more about such shows than they do about policies about to be passed by their government, which will impact on their actual lives. And way too many Aussie kids idolise those who achieve in the field of sport rather than those who achieve in the fields of science or literature etc...even if the sports players are drunken yobbos who struggle to string a sentence together. And it's adults who create the context that allows that to be the case, by being more avidly impressed by football scores than books.

OP it seems as if most are agreeing that intelligence gets a tick even if geeks still don't...but on thinking a bit more about geek culture in isolation of intelligence, well, I think some people may just be in denial. Geek culture and pop culture are more closely aligned than they've ever been with things like gaming, anime/manga, and all the new superhero movies having appeal to both sides of the divide. And ok so a theme constantly reinforced by TV and movies is that the smart boy/girl who gets pushed around in the halls finally removes their coke-bottle glasses, puts the comics aside, and starts doing their hair the way all the other kids are doing it, and BAM!...instantly becomes popular. But what of the reverse? Well, maybe not in movies for the mainstream market yet, but from what I'm seeing, nerd culture has definitely infiltrated mainstream. Starting with comic book t-shirts and pyjamas for those who consider themselves possessed of sufficient cool-ness to carry off at least that much with a giggle, but who aren't game to dip more than a toe in lest it threaten their self-professed social standing. But there are those funky hipsters who choose to go the whole hog and wear nerdy looking glasses (even if their eyesight is fine, clear lenses in a nerd frame), mismatched op shop clothes, and a bowl haircut, or whatever. These are the people who are happy to swim against the tide, cut a new edge, and who are confident enough with their cool to not need to explain their appearance, let alond defend it.

And what is so interesting about that lot is...they have the capacity to make the self-professed cool kids realise that they are really rather dull, and (in a nice twist) clamour to lay claim to some geek to prove they are cool. Because it's the people who are most insecure and uptight about staying on the right side of the cool/nerd line who are the easiest to unnerve by simply blurring the line. So yeah, as a separate issue to IQ, I think some people are marching to 'take back the nerd'. I heard from some of my nerd friends that there were some pretty hot looking women at SupaNova (a pop culture expo in Brisbane) this year. My stepdaughters were telling me the other day about these kids at school who have these cool dental braces. Really? Cool braces? Wow. The Age of Geek is upon us. Look out for Manolo Blahnik's new line of bowling shoes, coming soon to a store near you.
 Gingergeekqld
Msg: 24
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 11/26/2012 9:52:44 PM
well... Geek is not the new black, looking like one is though. Fashion has sort of went that way thanks to hipsters.

I'm from Scotland and living on the sunshine coast for the time being, it was massive in the uk, fake glasses to look nerdy and all that good stuff, it seemed to be more of a female thing rather than a male thing. A lot of old school looks were stolen. Gothic came back in a big way for a while but it sort of took a twisted evolution into what one could call "emo". so its safe to say most of these ideals made fashionable will fade away.

Geeks are great for many things, but fashion will never be one of those things.

Cheers
 2FunCoco
Msg: 25
Is GEEK the new BLACK???
Posted: 12/4/2012 9:27:55 AM
Umm, no and no. There is correlation but I can say that if you are trying to compare the two then there is a lot to consider. Love the forum, funny as ever.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Is GEEK the new BLACK???