Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > We have the same last name...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toronto_gal2012
Msg: 2
We have the same last name... Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Same thing happened to me about 5 yrs ago, we had same last night, we are not related. not even close.
only weird thing about it, he has same first name as my son.
so if it went further i would have been with a man who has same name as my son.
 toronto_gal2012
Msg: 4
We have the same last name...
Posted: 11/23/2012 12:58:30 AM
Said same thing about the man you met, that if we ever got married I wouldnt have to change a thing.
I never did date him, only met him once.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/23/2012 2:08:50 AM
I would definitely keep my monogrammed towels LOCKED UP in my hope chest until he puts a ring on it!
Posted: 11/23/2012 3:09:02 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^lol

Plus you could keep the silver if you monogram that after the nuptials and not have to melt it down
You state you have no common family members.
You are over reacting.

What if your small town didn't "approve" of his religion/race/politics/profession?
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/23/2012 3:45:35 AM
I think if your biggest complaint about this man is his last name, you might have hit the jackpot.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2012 3:53:06 AM
Good people are hard to find. I don't think anyone would think anything about it except that it's an interesting factoid.

My cousin married a guy with the same last name and I imagine it made her life quite easy when they split as well as when they married she never changed anything.

If he's a good guy and you don't date him because of this, not a nice way to say this, you're nuts.

And it really isn't that weird even if it is an unusual name.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:03:05 AM
Why is this a problem?

And especially, why is this a problem in a ****buddy? It's not as if you're going to take him home to mom.
 AnnB72
Msg: 10
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:57:20 AM

Epic over-reaction. If this non-issue has you running to the forums, how will you behave when something of substance arises?

Rofl! This ^^^
I dated a man with the same last name as me. Was fun. No one ever came to any conclusion about us being related in any way. Sounds like it's your own personal fear, so if it's that much a concern for you, look up your family history. It's easy enough to do these days.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 11
Posted: 11/23/2012 5:33:03 AM
even made a joke about if we ever got married I either wouldn't have to change my last name or for giggles we could hyfinate it...

Humperdink-Humperdink??

I'm trying to have the same attitude about it but, it's really weird!

don't worry, he prolly has "epic over-reactions" so we know it can't possibly work in the long run. that shit's hereditary you know. ;)
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 12
Posted: 11/23/2012 5:35:10 AM
Jayzus, OP. Good thing you weren't born/ raised in Iceland.

In 1855, there were 108 different family names in Iceland. By 1910, the number had increased to 297. By 1925, additional legislation prohibited the adoption of family names altogether, although it allowed those who already had them to keep them. The law also made the adoption of an Icelandic family name and patronymic a pre-requisite for obtaining Icelandic citizenship. As time goes on, fewer individuals will have family names as more and more individuals drop them in favor of the traditional naming system.

http://www.allscandinavia.com/icelandicnames.htm

ETA:

I actually dated a guy whose last name rhymed with my first name.

Now, that was grounds for breaking up!

p.s. My first name is Lildo.
I don't know how the poor guy made it out of grade school alive.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 13
Posted: 11/23/2012 6:17:10 AM

Can't - Stop - Laughing.
 Pinky127
Msg: 14
Posted: 11/23/2012 7:17:26 AM

^^ Lilido? Ha ha ha ha.....i think that's the funniest thing ive read tonight!!
Thanks for the lol moment! You and mo crack me up..........
 _PassionFlower
Msg: 16
Posted: 11/23/2012 8:00:10 AM
yippie!! u have the same last name and no relatives in common. Whats the freaking problem??? IDK...You just want to make up a problem....go figure
 grove_22
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/23/2012 8:44:01 AM
Provided that you're not related, this is a non-issue.
 Stormwolf
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:07:14 AM
Marry this person and it won't be a problem.
 daynadaze
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:49:35 AM
I don't see why you are so weirded out. Millions of people have the same last names, no matter how unusual the name may be. I think you are making way too big a deal about it and why would anyone in a small town or not, think you were committing incest just because some guy you date has the same last name. I've lived in some pretty small towns before, that doesn't make people stupid, all you would have to say to some nosy busybody is that it's just a coincidence. On the other hand, I'm rather a smartass when nosy, busybodies question me, I'd tell them he's my brother and then walk away.
 Teeyore
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/23/2012 4:41:49 PM
I agree. It's not a 'red flag' and if it's the only flag you're worried about, you're lucky! Just see where it goes, if you do get married, it will all be in the past. I have a friend who is marrying a man with the same last name as her first! She's still with him for over 10 years and will marry him...name isn't going to stop her. :) If he's good to you, see past it and be happy! Good luck!
 moon_breeze
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/23/2012 5:34:34 PM
I dated a guy for a bit who had the same last name, though mine is common. Not the biggest deal-maybe it's fate, maybe not, just enjoy him and don't worry too much about his last name, at least it's not "fartknocker", or some other terrible last name you're embarrassed to introduce him as, let alone take as your own someday.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/23/2012 8:09:15 PM
Dump him, Dump him! Ooops, wrong thread - that was meant for every other one...lol

People in the UK still marry their first cousins, I believe. A shallow gene pool has done wonders for the Royal Family. You should be so lucky.

I had a crush on a singer who had my last name. If I fantasized about her I would suddenly get all creeped out wondering if she were a cousin or something. I can see your point. When it comes to real life though, a little research and maybe a blood test if I was really concerned ought to fix that.

Not having to have the last name talk, not having to change all your I.D. and stuff after the wedding and then again after your divorce...that's a whole lot of potential hassle you could avoid.
 CaptainTeebs
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/23/2012 10:15:26 PM
At least you haven't had the ridiculous scenario of dating a guy with the same last name as your first name. It has happened; poor **stards,... never had a hope in hell. Think of Cheers' "Woody" singing his soon to be bride's name:

Cut this poor guy loose. Nobody's fault.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > We have the same last name...