Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Any good ideas on the best Louis Armstrong compilation?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vic_littledrummerboy
Msg: 1
Any good ideas on the best Louis Armstrong compilation?Page 1 of 1    
I am looking around for a really good compilation of Louis Armstrong songs as I am becoming increasingly intrigued by "Satchmo". I already have a bunch of tunes of his , but I want to find more. Any ideas?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 2
Any good ideas on the best Louis Armstrong compilation?
Posted: 12/4/2012 9:56:56 PM
Vic - Shalom brother , ,
I have found that as I mature, compilations have proved to be a waste of money, so I no longer buy them.
Once you start to really get into somebody's music, you may find that your favorite song by that artist is NOT on any compilation, because it wasn't a big hit. Therefore, go to a public library and check out some CD's and see what you like.
I like his work with Ella Fitzgerald, but you may prefer something different. In any case, don't just stay with the best sellers, explore and expand your experiences!!
 Rheostatic
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/4/2012 10:50:30 PM
I agree with that statement, but jazz is particularly difficult to get into because of the sheer volume of recordings these guys put out. It's even worse with classical music.

I can't recommend any compilations, but I'm sure you could find something on Amazon. A good place to start with Louis are his Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings.
 vic_littledrummerboy
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/5/2012 8:21:06 PM
There are just too many albums of his that I don;t even know where to start. it's mind blowing how many albums i find of his
 Rheostatic
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/6/2012 1:13:29 AM
The Verve label put out a bunch of "Essential" jazz artist compilation albums. I'm sure there's an Essential Louis Armstrong.
 vic_littledrummerboy
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:44:10 PM
Has anyone checked out the "Satchmo-Ambassador of Jazz" box set. i'm just wondering if it would be worth looking into. It is over a hundred bucks from what I can see, but it seems to go through his entire career.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/25/2013 5:17:39 PM
I'd say use the box set as a spring board. Find the styles and eras you like most and go further into his work from there. Louis Armstrong is likely the most important artist or 1 of the 5 most important artists in American music history....and world music history.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Any good ideas on the best Louis Armstrong compilation?