Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Would it be bad to send someone a gift...?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 psytle
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Would it be bad to send someone a gift...?Page 1 of 1    

In a message on here,
that you saw posted in the forums and you felt bad for them and wanted to maybe make them feel better?

Even if they live in another country?

Or would it be a really stupid idea?

I'm not sure...

:: shrugs ::

Gifting to make someone feel better doesn't sound like a bad idea. However, gifting to cover up a lazy first message/profile IS a bad idea. :D
Would it be bad to send someone a gift...?
Posted: 12/5/2012 9:45:28 AM

Or would it be a really stupid idea?

what dire consequence are you afraid would make this a really stupid action to take?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/5/2012 1:05:08 PM
You mean one of those POF electronic gifts like the smiley face, roses, wine, and ice cream cones?
Or do you mean a *REAL* gift that is packaged and shipped via mail, UPS, FedEx, or similar courier?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/5/2012 2:22:07 PM

You mean one of those POF electronic gifts like the smiley face, roses, wine, and ice cream cones?

Blah. Those things are pointless. They cost nothing to send, and really, for most people, they mean even LESS. You might as well import the entire 'Smileys' thesaurus as well.

As long as it's not anthrax or severed human body parts they'd probably like the thought.

Now THERE is a gift list I'd like to see! Something a bit more clever and unique. Do you need a premium membership to see THOSE choices?
 ForumsCreeper
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2012 4:43:02 PM
Its a nice gesture but i myself wouldnt do it.

This is after all the internet, if you have never met them and only chatted on-line, its really not real. Its an internet friend, not a friend. If that makes sense. :)
 parklabrea
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2012 9:02:00 PM
It's very sweet of you to want to cheer this person up but if they are not even an online or forum friend it might not be wise. It could be seen as opening the door to some type of relationship and you don't know who you're dealing with. Perhaps a message via POF might be wiser, telling them you are sympathetic to their plight and are sending them your best wishes.

You yourself are showing hesitancy and I think that's your common sense telling you not to let your emotions get the better of you. And who knows, a message might even be more meaningful to them than a gift. You sound like a very nice person in your profile, but please remember it's better to be cautious with strangers.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/6/2012 3:35:46 AM
Don't pity gift.

Don't pity date.

JMO
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Would it be bad to send someone a gift...?