Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Marijuana Legalization and the stereotype      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NymbusZeroKenny
Msg: 1
Marijuana Legalization and the stereotypePage 1 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Question for the people on here What is it about people judging people for somking pot.I mean alcohol has done far more damage and yet people don't judge people for the alcohol use which i think is a lot worse. I understand pot is illegal but society is getting closer to a point of acceptance so why judge someone for doing it when its legal on a state level in both washington and colorado not to mention that hemp can be used for paper (grows faster then a tree) and various other things. I don't know what i'm trying to say other then why judge me or people like me because we made the choice to smoke pot?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Marijuana Legalization and the stereotype
Posted: 12/10/2012 2:16:07 PM
I dunno. Why judge people because they judge people who smoke pot?

As for myself, the "illegal" part is enough, because I have a knack for getting caught when I am involved with anything remotely shady. But I'm not AS intense about it as some are.
 Brodigy
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/10/2012 2:19:05 PM
I think it's because with alcohol you can choose to have a small amount and not be stoned.

Even if you only have one puff of pot you're probably going to be quite buzzed - especially if it's from where I live , lol

I disagree with what you said about people not judging people who abuse alcohol, they definitely aren't exactly admired.

It's for the same reason : people look down on people who need/choose to escape by using drugs like pot , alcohol, whatever.
 NymbusZeroKenny
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/10/2012 2:55:55 PM
i understand what you mean but what i mean most of the people i hang out with are more responsible when they are stoned then when they are drunk.I hope one day i can find someone who accepts me for the fact that i smoke it and not judge me for it yes its illegal however so is running red lights,driving too fast,jay walking and in some places (anal intercourse) [sodomy] however it still happens and some people enjoy it anyways i am looking forward to the day it is legalized nationwide in the states as it is the only illegal thing i do I too agree with not breaking the law pot is my only exeception!
 4ms4me
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2012 3:20:54 PM

i understand what you mean but what i mean most of the people i hang out with are more responsible when they are stoned then when they are drunk.I hope one day i can find someone who accepts me for the fact that i smoke it and not judge me for it yes its illegal however so is running red lights,driving too fast,jay walking and in some places (anal intercourse) [sodomy] however it still happens and some people enjoy it anyways i am looking forward to the day it is legalized nationwide in the states as it is the only illegal thing i do I too agree with not breaking the law pot is my only exeception!

People who are stoned are not more responsible than people who are drunk, though they are less inclined to be violent. But their judgement is still affected, they're often in denial about how their pot-smoking affects them, and make flawed decisions because they so firmly believe they're "ok". In my personal experience, pot-smokers are hard to hold a conversation with because they can't keep track of the conversation or they simply seem unable to attend to other people or their surroundings; they're emotionally flat, disengaged and forgetful. I've had plenty of personal experience with pot and pot-smokers, and that's what I base my conclusions on.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2012 4:51:07 PM
NymbusZeroKenny: ... "I don't know what I'm trying to say other then why judge
me or people like me because we made the choice to smoke pot?"

I'm also confused as to what you're trying to say ... maybe it's because I don't know
anyone who's judging you for using pot or even knows that you're using pot ... or
even CARES that you're using pot ... so ... I don't understand who you're complaining
about ...

what does this have to do with "Marijuana Legalization and the Stereotype" ???
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/10/2012 5:37:25 PM

I don't know what i'm trying to say other then why judge me or people like me because we made the choice to smoke pot?

Who's judging you?
I know I'm not.
Do what you want.
You're beholden to no one.
Learn to not care.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2012 5:53:31 PM
I'm quite willing to judge people who do drugs, smokes cigarettes or get drunk....I call them all stupid. But no skin off my nose. Be as stupid as you like.
 LennyPane
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2012 6:06:33 PM
It just comes with the territory. Look at all the stereotypes surrounding it.
 pescando75
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/10/2012 6:21:45 PM
This is like the poster who declared in another topic her religion was not a reason to hate on her.
I had no idea of her religious leanings before she made the declaration. ;o)
 Brodigy
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/10/2012 6:23:23 PM

I'm quite willing to judge people who do drugs, smokes cigarettes or get drunk....I call them all stupid. But no skin off my nose. Be as stupid as you like.

Eating unhealthy foods is stupid too - but screw it, some of it tastes damn good and ya gotta go sooner or later.

Moderation is the key.
 statemachine500
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/10/2012 6:37:00 PM
I would be a lot more inclined to make judgements about a person that cannot control their eating habits or makes poor choices regarding food than a person that gets high on the weekend.Besides,the bad food is a lot worse for your health....and affects so many people.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/10/2012 7:01:53 PM
Legalization?
You live in Ohio.

I guess I would judge someone who advertises his participation in illegal activities on a public forum as someone who is not "savvy" enough to date.
 toightpants
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/10/2012 7:51:36 PM

What is it about people judging people for somking pot.

People are judgy.
They have to be.
Otherwise they wouldn't know to avoid lions, or feel you're a****if you trip them up while running from a lion.
Part of judgments is that they are shortcuts people use to help direct their future behavior by past or learned experience.
The worst judgments in dating are simply erring on the side of caution.

You are not entitled to be accepted by anyone.
At best you are entitled to equal treatment by the law (but that's still enforced by fallible human beings, so good luck with that).
Socially, you're on your own.

If you can put a label on it, then it's easier to judge.
Bad boy, trekkie, republican, democrat, pot head.
If you get an identifying label, you get a judgment.

alcohol has done far more damage and yet people don't judge people for the alcohol use which i think is a lot worse.

Really? Bar fly? Alcoholic? Alky? Lush? Drunkard?
People get judged for alcohol use.

why judge me or people like me because we made the choice to smoke pot?

Because most people see themselves as "good."
They made the choice to not smoke pot.
Therefore the choice to not smoke pot is "good."
Which means the choice to smoke pot must be "bad."
Bad things tend to get attacked, otherwise it will lead to more bad things.

its illegal however so is running red lights,driving too fast,jay walking and in some places (anal intercourse) [sodomy] however it still happens

See?
People do what they want to do.
Then they rationalize it in order to maintain the idea that they are "good" (sometimes justifying it by thinking they are simply less bad) no matter what they do.
And many times they then start whining about how other people need to change.

.I hope one day i can find someone who accepts me for the fact that i smoke it and not judge me for it

Why not just stop smoking pot and make it a non issue?
 zyfyz
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/12/2012 4:18:53 PM
Oustanding post, toightpants.
 statemachine500
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/12/2012 6:20:57 PM

its illegal however so is running red lights,driving too fast,jay walking and in some places (anal intercourse) [sodomy] however it still happens

See?
People do what they want to do.
Then they rationalize it in order to maintain the idea that they are "good" (sometimes justifying it by thinking they are simply less bad) no matter what they do.

Why not add murder or crimes against humanity in there?Running red lights is extremely dangerous and a good way to seriously injure yourself and others.So is speeding.Jay walking can also cause accidents and idiots regularly die jaywalking.This has nothing to do with one's imbibing in that which nature has provided.

Why not just stop smoking pot and make it a non issue?

Why not just gtfo of the choices of free people in this world?
 statemachine500
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/12/2012 6:23:48 PM

Lol, except that potheads are PRECISELY the type of people who get the munchies & freely admit to gorging on junk food when stoned! Bad food & pot-smoking usually go hand in hand.

Anybody that smokes now and then is a head?Do you drink occasionally?Plenty of very healthy people smoke that wouldn't dare touch junk food....it's unhealthy and would ruin their physique.
 daynadaze
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:21:07 PM
I judge people on their behavior, if one acts like a stoner loser then I don't blame the pot, I blame their use of something they can't handle. Just like seeing a drunk stumbling around, it's not the fault of alcohol that some people can't handle their liquor. Pot has some really good qualities as medication, I'm glad that's becoming easier to get. Someone who relaxes with a drink or a joint once in awhile doesn't bother me, someone who abuses it is someone I don't want to be around.
 c-moto
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:44:47 PM
"I judge people on their behavior, if one acts like a stoner loser then I don't blame the pot, I blame their use of something they can't handle. Just like seeing a drunk stumbling around, it's not the fault of alcohol that some people can't handle their liquor. Pot has some really good qualities as medication, I'm glad that's becoming easier to get. Someone who relaxes with a drink or a joint once in awhile doesn't bother me, someone who abuses it is someone I don't want to be around"

Well said
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/15/2014 2:43:34 PM
Some alarming data originating from Colorado, where Marijuana is 'legal'

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/pot-fuels-surge-drugged-driving-deaths-n22991

Although alcohol remains the #1 cause for impairment related motor vehicle accidents
The stats are starting to show a surge (at least in a few states) implicating Cannabinoids as an upfront culprit
Though Driving "while drugged" carries the same penalty as driving while drunk (varies from state to state)
There seems to be little doubt that Marijuana may be compounding an already serious problem
in places where the laws allow for a more brazen (out in the open) use of this drug!

Thus, as long as there is a sizable number of irresponsible pple who cannot stay off the road while under the influence
of this drug; then politicians need to re-think about liberalizing pot!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2014 4:26:34 PM
Maybe. Or figure out a way to deal with it the way they deal with alcohol.
 cotter
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2014 6:03:51 PM

What is it about people judging people for somking pot.
Who's judging? Some of us are just kinda picky about who and what we hang out with.

I don't judge them ... I just avoid them like the plague.

I'm a nurse and I could lose my job if I hang out with people who puff pot ...

Drink and drive if you want, but let me know where you drive (at all times) so I can avoid that area.

Rob a bank if you want ... just let me know the time and the bank so I can be sure to be somewhere else.

Smoking pot is illegal where I live and I used to work in the jail here ... don't really have any desire to be spending any time with the inmates on their side of the bars.

Break the law all you want ... just stay out of my neighborhood ... PLEASE. We don't need any more potheads around here!
 gtomustang
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/15/2014 8:26:21 PM
1)people who do abuse alcohol, get judged. people who have only one drink, don't get judged b/c the observers typically know how much alcohol intake is needed to lead to impairment. few know how many maryjane brownies need to be eaten before impairment .I chose food b/c obviously no one lights up a fatty and takes a puff before putting it out. if you really wonder why people are judging you for doing the whole blunt, well, drink the equavelent of booze and see how many adults criticize you.

2)yes, pot is illegal in many places. that's no small thing. the law can really snarky about it...and there are cases where they go after a person not involved (ie, confiscation of a vehicle loaned to someone making a big buy, etc). Imagine someone borrowing your laptop to do something that carries a heavy penalty.

3)like most things in life that society has yet to accept...if you don't force it to accept you, by keeping it on the down-low, funny how you don't get much flak about what people have no idea you're doing. make it part of your identity, however, and you just have to get people on your side,and wonder why they won't, like its personal or something.

they have a right to not like a part of you. deal
 WNYmanToo
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/25/2014 1:38:51 PM
As someone else said.......it's not the pot-smoking directly, but how you behave and what you do in your life.

I remember reading a post here several weeks ago when someone (40+) said their favorite music was heavy heavy metal, but you'd never tell from looking at them....same thing with pot.....you've got your lowlife loser, livin' in mommies basement, that you can tell right away they're a stoner loser, and then you've got the degreed engineer that smoked pot nearly every day for the last 30 years, and still does, and you'd never have a clue.
Posted: 3/26/2014 3:59:49 AM
Just remember...Hemp is different than Maryjuana.

Hemp for paper is superior in many ways to trees, for example. Higher quality, more per acre, lower cost, etc. But that's a different issue than with Maryjuana.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Marijuana Legalization and the stereotype