Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > introducing a new kitty      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DoubleParked
Msg: 1
introducing a new kittyPage 1 of 1    
I went to my local pet supply store today and they had a kitty in a cage up for adoption. A lovely little beast with semi long hair, black and orangey, not quite calico. They bring in kitties from the local Humane Society to adopt them out. There was a form to be had to apply for adopting the kitty and a fee of $100, all the shots, spaying, etc already done.

Has anyone done this? What qualifications do I need? is there an 'in home visit'?

I have a fixed male cat who is ten years old. I have never brought in a 'stranger cat' into a living arrangement before. Any advice? The thought of that little critter getting euthanized makes me sad, though I suppose it happens all the time.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 2
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/13/2012 4:22:49 PM
Thanks for the link. They had 'adoption forms' at the store. I was not in the least bit looking to get another cat so I didn't take one. Now that I'm home I see that little sweet kitty in my mind's eye and wonder 'why not'?
 DoubleParked
Msg: 3
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/13/2012 4:36:50 PM
My previous feline companion was a female calicoe and she had a few litters of kitties before I got her fixed. I kept one little runt and gave away the others. The one I kept was a male. It did not go over big with the queen cat and one night i came home to find the kitty dead of a slash to the throat and mama and some other dude glared at me as my headlights approached. So I figured it was 'my bad' to have kept the male with his mother.

I did not see if this cat up for adoption was male or female, though fixed. Does it make a big difference if i introduce a male to a male or if she's a she. Not sure which would be more upsetting to my established house cat. Or if they are all fixed does it matter, other than clash of personalities?
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 4
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/13/2012 6:28:57 PM
I don't know, keep them separated but able to see or smell each other at first, like keep the new one in the carrier for a short while. I dunno, maybe 30 mins is my guess. With my girl, she's 5 1/2 now and I know her personality well and I know that bringing in a new cat would really stress her out. so i wont do it, until she passes away i'm a one animal house hold.

when she does it would be wonderful if i can afford to have two that grew up together (i wont get kittens again, too destructive).
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 5
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/14/2012 3:17:10 AM
how antisocial is your cat, OP?? i think it's pretty safe to say he's gonna be PO'd if you bring a new cat in the house. he'll get over it, though. i've introduced dogs to cats, cats to cats, cats to dogs and of course, dogs to dogs. the first few moments are aways the most exciting. it's always like OMGWTF IS THIS?!? the only question is the amount of time it will take to reach the stage of acceptance. cats are very territorial, but most of them would rather avoid each other than fight, especially if they're neutured. i assume your current cat is neutered. in other words, go get that kitty and don't worry about it, but keep an eye out for that little one. expect that the old guy will take a few swipes at it but that's basically a warning shot over the bow. if you have a large crate or can borrow one for a few days, it might help to keep the little one confined for a little while, at least when you're not around.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 6
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/14/2012 2:32:57 PM
I have 8 cats, 2 is nothing...
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 7
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/14/2012 2:53:47 PM
All animals are different in personality, just like humans.

True dat pussy cat, and some have no almost personality at all. The parallels are amazing, really. Others are easily provoked, and take special delight in finding opportunities to pick a vicious fight for no other reason than they can. Those are the ones that should be locked up so they aren't a constant menace to others. They're waaaay outside the norm, though. So OP I doubt you will have too many problems with your new kitty cat, thanks for rescuing! Do keep an eye on them though, and make sure you can make arrangements to keep them separated (with or without a crate) in case an unforeseen problem pops up. I've never had a huge problem introducing two strange animals; it's not that hard if you know what you're doing. It only requires a bit of patience.
 BoomerWithHumor
Msg: 8
introducing a new kitty
Posted: 12/17/2012 5:01:29 PM
It's best to introduce cats from different litters to each other when they are both young. Now that yours is 10 and a male he will not accept another male and may or may not accept a female kitten. The best thing to do is get the kitten if it is female. Keep her in a separate room with a door that the older cat can put his paw under it. The older cat will hiss at the door for about 5 days. If in about a week he stops hissing and puts his paw under the door purring, he wants to play with the kitten and you can now put them together as they have accepted each other. Make sure to give both cats equal attention during this period. Good Luck!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > introducing a new kitty