Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Does anyone else draw, paint, or sculpt?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 2
Does anyone else draw, paint, or sculpt?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Look on my profile. I have a piece of my artwork up. I do figurative and portraitwork. The one on my profile is white conte' on black paper. Currently saving to start my own studio. I took an unwanted break from it the last 8 plus years being deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Getting back into the swing of things.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 4
Does anyone else draw, paint, or sculpt?
Posted: 12/20/2012 3:09:01 PM
Ya i draw, well it more like cartoon animation, used to work for Disney, still do a bit of cartoon drawing and character dseigning. Also do alot of Japanimation stuff too. More into car murals now. Want to get into airbrushing. There is big money to be made there if you you are good at it.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/20/2012 5:41:38 PM
hope no one minds me asking a question in this thread... it's recent and on topic.

I used to draw a lot a long time ago, mostly just simply pencil work and whatever popped into my imagination. Then my career started kicking off (am a CADD guy... computer aided designer drafter, mostly mechanical, you know AutoCAD).

And my pencil drawing days seemed like they are behind me... I still doodle and do quick little art sketches but nothing involving hours or days of work like when I was younger.

I have a lot of ideas and mental images that I would love to get on paper, but I sit there sometimes with a pencil and blank paper.......... and nothing starts off.

Any ideas on refiring those drawing days?
 AbstractAstra
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2012 9:30:56 PM
AlphaMaleDog, it's the typical artists block, isn't it? Especially if you've not really drawn much for a long time. It's easy to put pressure on yourself for the drawings to be amazing, and that just increases the block. I'd recommend really quick, time limited drawings. I like to do blind contour drawing and only allow myself a few seconds (maybe up to ten) to complete it. Choose an object - anything at all, but ideally with not too much detail - and draw it without looking at the paper. Just let your eye and hand zoom over it, instead of getting stuck on getting it exactly right. Most of my favourite drawings have been blind contour drawings. They have a certain life and vitality to them because of how they're created. Try looking up other beginners drawing exercises - even though you're not a beginner, the exercises can be a useful way of getting back into it.
 peony-rose
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:06:17 AM
I draw, paint, do printmaking. I also teach high school art. There is a drawing on my profile if anyone cares to look.
 peony-rose
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/8/2013 4:32:16 PM
Okay, have changed my mail settings if you would like to contact me.

I am single because Australian men are a strange lot. I live in a regional area, with not much choice on POF. Just waiting for the right guy to come along.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:14:45 PM
Ok art teacher Peony-rose... what is the best way to sketch and draw with charcoal without making a mess?

Keep and hold the charcoal in a paper tissue?
Have a scrap piece of paper between your working sheet and your drawing hand so your not dragging and smeering your work?

What else can you (or anyone else too for that matter)... can add?

What's your favorite colouring pencil? Steadler? Prismacolour?
 peony-rose
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:59:41 PM
Yes charcoal is messy stuff. When using charcoal a spray fixative workable matt medium is what I recommend. It controls the dust . Always best to work your way from top to bottom of the page & left to right if right handed. That way you don't rub your hand over the part with charcoal on the surface.

Charcoal is messy, which is why I worked outside. However I didn't work on the ground, I had each piece clipped to an upright board. This way the dust fell down to the ground, instead of staying on the surface. Also I had more control over using the piece of charcoal without rubbing any part of my hand on the paper. From memory it was stonehenge paper. I used a few different types of charcoal but mainly liked the chunky compressed blocks.

Also it isn't just about putting the charcoal on the surface. Half the work for me was about rubbing it away and developing different effects with different erasers. I used at least 4 different erasers. The old style with the white at one end and grey textered other end worked well. Don't be afraid to use your fingers to rub and smear for different effects also.

Love your forum - very friendly!
 melodyof_k
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/10/2013 9:09:54 PM
Hi everyone,
I am just beginning to paint . I started with acrylics and my friends convinced me to try oils.
I am just learning techniques at this time after doing a landscape and flowers.
You tube has some good teachers on it if you cant get to an art class.
 fasttech1907
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/12/2013 10:28:36 AM
i do digital sculpting and modeling
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/12/2013 1:16:15 PM
I like using acrylic paints over enamel.... they are so much easier to clean up, or to thin. Whether your brushing or air-brushing to me acrylics are the easiests.

But usually if it's a medium and media that is not very forgiving (like not easy to erase and fix a mistake), then I am rather iffy about..... guess I just love my eraser.
 melodyof_k
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/12/2013 9:55:04 PM
as a new painter I am finding the difference switching from acrylic to oils to be more of a difference than I thought it would be.
any opinions here on oils vs acrylics. and which is best to begin with if either is one is.
 peony-rose
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/13/2013 3:17:33 AM
I think acrylics are much better to begin with personally. Oils can be more tricky due to thinning them with the right medium or mixture of oil and turpentine. Also oils are very slow drying. This can be god if you want to manipulate the paint over a longer period of time, but not good if you want to say paint something over the top of part of an image. Oils can be interesting to use layers of thin glazes of different colours over each other to build up a more luminous look. Plus using an acrylic underpainting with washes of oil glazes over the top can give beautiful effects.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/13/2013 5:37:54 AM
Ok sorry I am going to pervert the thread a little and say that acrylics are better than oil paints for body painting...................... FINGER PAINTING YEAH!

Plus they would wash easily out of that purdy little black dress of your Peony-Ross ;-)
 Sky at sunset
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/13/2013 8:29:17 AM
Hi, I do believe that life ties us up at times. For years, as a single parent (kids grown now) and full time worker, I didn't have the mental energy at the end of the day and sometimes, not the money for those extras. Recently I've started coming back....and boy is it a long and frustrating process. Skills degrade without use however I am enjoying being creative again.
 cwltom
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2013 5:51:19 PM
Personally I find oils and acrylics are as bad as each other when it comes to removing them from clothing AlphaMaleDog. what you want for that is a good water soluble paint that does not become perminant the way acrylics do.
Oils are hard to remove from skin (and usually require a solvent, which is not kind to it), but there is a better feel to them on your skin (talking from an angle of using the hands/fingers to apply them to canvas).
 tampasmiles
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/14/2013 8:24:00 PM
I drew a picture of my son a few years ago and people have kept asking me to draw them, or paint something, a local theater has me do all types of graphics for them ...video, photo or website design....the strange part...I never had any training...yet if someone ask me..I seem to be able to do it rather easily.
 Kokejin
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2013 7:01:49 PM
You are right oils are pretty difficult, I've tried them a few times but acrylics are easier and faster for me. I would start with them.
 TenderKisses546
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/17/2013 9:00:21 AM
I've worked with Oil paints once and loved it! They blend very well. I find Oils are significantly better for mixing/blending than acrylics are. However, the cost difference is huge. Oils are much more expensive than acrylics.

It's been a while since I've painted though. I'm a die hard sculptor. Put down the paint brush a long time ago because I couldn't put down the chisel lol
 melodyof_k
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/20/2013 3:50:49 PM
I love oils,
but I do not know how, lets say,.while painting a flower,...
to get highlights on it without the other paint mixing in.

do you let the paint dry first and then add more paint?
i am just experimenting.

at first with acrylics I painted as my teacher taught which was to get it to look as close to the photo of nature as possible.
but I am finding that I am enjoying a bit of abstraction instead of perfect realism. I need to go look up the terms to be sure.

what I really need is a class in beginning oils. even picking out brushes etc.

but I do love paining. and I love looking at what other artists created.
 AlphaMaleDog
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/21/2013 2:54:33 PM
cwltom... thanks for the info. Definitely water based, I know I've seen these basic colour pucks like the types they have in preschool classes.

I agree with you Melodyof_k it can be very confusing to the amature painter as what kinds of brushes to use with certain types of paints, and also what type of material that works best to paint on... paper, canvas, etc... Which is probably why I've never really got into it much. I've done some indian ink drawings, and charcoal, but my favorite is still pencil... and probably because:
Do to my technical drafting background I am more comfortable with pencil on vellum paper. I also hated ink on mylar because it is sooo unforgiving. Make a little mistake and your erasing for hours (not very proficient when there's a deadline).
Now I am going to reveal my nerdiness here but I use a lot of acrylic paints on painting scale plastic models (WW2 armour and aircraft, and muscle cars). I find that on larger surfaces I will get a cleaner looking product if I spray it through an air brush. On smaller pieces then I will brush it on with paint that has a little bit thicker viscosity. In both situations though an undercoat of primer has to be used. It gives the colour paint something to tack onto, and less of it needs to be used.

Paul
 heavenleegrace
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/23/2013 7:43:53 PM
I love and participate in a variety of art. I Majored in fine arts with an emphasis in illustration. I have tons of work in digital form if anyone is interested drop me a message. My favorite mediums are oil pastel, watercolor, and pen and ink/ lithography. I am obsessed with photoshop and love taking pictures of my artwork and tinkering with them on photoshop......I also enjoy jewelry design.

Lately however i have been spending alot of time working with wood. I find carving wood to be extremely versatile. Plus I have an endless supply of it on the family farm.
 dot.dot.dot
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:01:17 PM
Hi, I have been painting for nearly 40 years now, still enjoy it, even being 70 years old.
Done acrylic and oils. What I do now is I paint my background with acrylics, cause it dries faster. And then start with oil. The best, I think.
Good luck
Denyse
 melodyof_k
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/24/2013 10:11:31 PM
I like your idea Denyse.
do you have your paintings on display anywhere on the internet?
 ForumFiona
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/27/2013 11:36:46 AM

I do not know how, lets say,.while painting a flower,...
to get highlights on it without the other paint mixing in.

I believe you have to use Liquid white. That is what worked for me, apparently you can also try Linseed Oil as the top layer of paint must be thinner than the one underneath. Use a good blending brush with a little "air and half a hair" to slightly blend. You should get some great diffusions with that technique (again it worked for me).

The best diffusions are done with watercolor in my experience. They also clean up better and are less waste as you can re-activate them even if they dry on your palette. But no matter what medium used the supplies are expensive either way it seems, and crappy paints are not even worth practice time (again my experience).

I've always had a desire to create stuff, I have enough supplies to stock a store and to keep me busy until I die. Anyone else too?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Does anyone else draw, paint, or sculpt?