Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > annoying little messages      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 afucwit
Msg: 1
view profile
History
annoying little messagesPage 1 of 1    
I play Internet chess, But whenever I am studying a position, as I move the cursor from piece to piece or from square to square, a grey message box appears telling me how

" To improve the quality of this image press 'ctrl + shift + f5' and 'ctrl + r' to reload the whole page."

Can anyone please tell me how to turn off this function ?
I am using windows 7 and Internet explorer.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 2
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/23/2012 5:42:57 AM
Google is your friend....I typed your error message into Google and got lots of information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/thread/3e265aaa-6563-41e8-adf5-9efb192ecbee/
http://go4answers.webhost4life.com/Example/shiftr-improves-image-quality-145208.aspx

Those are a couple but there are many more. It's a starting point. Good luck.
 FlaxenBlonde
Msg: 3
view profile
History
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/23/2012 9:10:35 AM
If you would specify the website on which you're playing, it would be a lot easier to answer your question.

However, it could be as simple as clicking on the "Options" tab for the game and deselecting automated "Tips."
 afucwit
Msg: 4
view profile
History
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/23/2012 4:28:34 PM
this is a windows function and nothing to do with the chess site
go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Using-your-mouse
an example is shown here.
 Tek_Savvy
Msg: 5
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/23/2012 5:24:56 PM
Yes it does. You get a pop. It is probably a script or something. Use firefox or chrome with a script blocker I guess you will have to try to see which one is working. Without telling us which site you are using it's a wild guess anyways.

Here are some other suggestions:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/iewebdevelopment/thread/3e265aaa-6563-41e8-adf5-9efb192ecbee/
 afucwit
Msg: 6
view profile
History
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/24/2012 5:59:38 PM
I didn't post a link for 2 reasons. 1 st, I don't know how, .. (( Links to me are bits of text (different colour) or an image that will when clicked upon automatically direct you to a different web site to the one your currently on,)) now if by link you meant that I simply write the site address like so ... http://www.chesscube.com/ then I do know how and you now have it... let me know if you need the rest of them as it happens on most of them ..
To me ..the facts that it occurs before I'm connected to the net (Just point your cursor at the windows start icon on the desk top and a grey box appears telling you this icon is the 'START' button) and the windows help guide explains what it is and when and why they appear under the section 'using a mouse' ... ? are the clues that led me to think it's a windows function.
But hey I'm no expert
 Tek_Savvy
Msg: 7
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/24/2012 7:06:18 PM
It's possible it's in the browser cache but I am only guessing.

I can't really test it since I'm on a mac so I guess cowboy might try the site.
 billingsmason
Msg: 8
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/24/2012 10:03:46 PM
might try Console.Clear Method
google it- it's writing code tho and does not look simple
If it doesn't work you can always restore, but you might want to update the restore-to date first....

I'm not tech savvy enough to attempt this.
I also kinda like the prompt, because I do not understand what my machines are doing most of the time.

might try:
start
control panel
mouse
device settings
settings
pointing
pointing enhancements
clicking default will restore to factory settings if it doesn't work
it's probably in your settings/control panel somewhere. play around with it, see what works.
I always write a list of where I am, what I've hit.... so I can back my way out if I get lost.

good luck
great name
 afucwit
Msg: 9
view profile
History
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/25/2012 1:35:01 AM
Merry Christmas Billingsmason and thanks for the advice .. did you read cowboys post .. I'd have thought he'd realise the biggest clue was in my name and that for me, not being tech savvy is a mythical place I heard about down here where words like ..tech ..means 'to get' or 'steal' and... savvy... is slang for a sausage .. 'It is one thing to tell a man he is wrong and another to put him in possession of the truth .
 afucwit
Msg: 10
view profile
History
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/27/2012 3:59:23 PM
But the people here that actually grasp where the problem is cant supply you and exact tested solution because YOU WONT LINK TO A SITE THIS HAPPENS ON.

cowboy If your still reading this I just realised it happens on this site when I point to the Home, Logout and MyForum Icons.
 KWurx
Msg: 11
annoying little messages
Posted: 12/28/2012 3:06:40 AM
It could be a form of malware or even a virus. Your description is a little vague so I can't quite tell what the problem is. Usually all you should see when hovering over a link is the text that is displayed when a picture doesn't show up.

Run this. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's a free online virus/malware scanner.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > annoying little messages