Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > standing meditation      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hyperbole2112
Msg: 1
standing meditationPage 1 of 1    
Decades ago as a kid, 12 yrs old, I discovered TaI Ken Chi.
The standing meditation practised, years later I found out,
was a version of standing horse practiced by Shaloin Buddhists.
I have read quite a bit about Buddhism and can declare
I practise standing Buddhist meditation rather than muscle training
through standing meditation. My query: Shaloin is a small sect of
Chan Buddhism and literature is rare. Any one had similar
development path with references to share.
 BeingisBeing
Msg: 2
standing meditation
Posted: 1/13/2013 7:56:36 PM
when i first started getting into meditation, I did some walking/standing meditation.
but it evolves, naturally, to where meditation is happening all day every day, no matter what posture your body is in.

at the start, some body posturing and body mindfulness can help to vitalize the body and clear some obstacles the mind has created, but ultimately, true meditation is simply being aware of being aware. you don't need a body to do that ;)

the body can become a hindrance if too much attention is given to it. go within, see what You Are. who is it that is meditating? who is aware of being aware? is there a who doing all this?
 _shakti_
Msg: 3
standing meditation
Posted: 1/13/2013 11:34:27 PM
^^ Into the self enquiry method are you?

It looks like this form of meditation is related to Qi Gong.. are you involved in that practice at all Op?
 apafely
Msg: 4
standing meditation
Posted: 1/19/2013 5:54:04 PM
I usually joke about these matters, but this here is serious, and I am not joking.

My brother used to have a class mate back in Hungary, and that guy meditated in any number of position, of course including the Lotus, but also in a head-stand and sometimes in a hand stand. (He was brutally strong, peaceful in mind, and impressive as a thinker.) This is also not a joke, he died in his late thirties, the first dead in my brother's entire class. The last job he held (he was an elite and highly paid mathematician, comparably within the pay scales of the country at the time, which was communist, and incomes of people of all and every walk of life were equalized) he was (in his own words, translated from Hungarian) designing ballistic triangles.

God only knows what those were. He was raking in the bucks, though, all right.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > standing meditation