Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I got more reply's when I was fat... what the???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RainStride
Msg: 2
I got more reply's when I was fat... what the???Page 1 of 1    
Well, based on your thumnail picture for your main picture the shadow of your hat makes it nearly impossible to see your facial features.

Also, most women seem to prefer men to "have meat on them" without being fat. It's possible you're reading as "skinny person" to some women now. Ideally you want to shoot for muscular probably. I might actually have the same problem, come to think of it.

Also, mainstream culture is highly prejudiced against anything that makes you look in the slightest like a "nerd" and most POF members fall into the category of typical mainstream culture. Sometimes it's difficult to bridge the gap between these kinds of persceptions.

People will literally imagine things that don't even exist about someone.

I don't really know if that's the problem here, so don't take my word for it, but those are some of my thoughts.

Also, I've rewritten my own profile probably 15+ times and every time with careful thought and growth but it seldom has any effect on traffic. Profile text mainly serves to *keep people interested*. In practice it has almost no ability whatsoever to attract new viewers: only pics seem to do that... unfortunately

Best of luck. I have the same kind of issues.
 gcdeb
Msg: 4
I got more reply's when I was fat... what the???
Posted: 12/28/2012 11:47:58 PM
You are good looking and look just fine with your glasses on.

I'm a generic, 30 year old caucasian male. Dark hair, average height, average build.
I have a severe lack of 'game'. Now that your expectations have been lowered to the proper level...
Your first few lines show up in profile searches. I'm not sure that starting off with self-deprecating statements is the way to go. I'm also not sure that describing yourself as "generic" is a good idea. I get what you are doing, and personally I kind of like it, I'm just not sure it will inspire women to click into your profile.

I like to think I have a pretty wicked, sarcastic, dirty, and self-deprecating sense of humour.
I would have stopped reading at this point. Sarcasm is "using irony in order to mock or convey contempt". That's not an appealing quality. I suspect most women probably don't appreciate "dirty" humour either. If that is something that you possibly share with your male friends, but not in front of women, then you could probably remove it from your profile. If however, you like to express "dirty" humour all the time, you should leave it in so women can choose for themselves if they want to deal with that.

Please don't mis-interpret this as not being confident... That's just cutting to the chase
far too quickly... :) YOU DON'T KNOW ME!
All caps is considered shouting. I don't think you need these sentences at all. They don't really add anything too your profile. Self-deprecating doesn't equal a lack of confidence.

That's probably the important stuff to get things going. So in summary...
-I have a steady source of income
-I can hook up a mean steak
-I have a sense of humour
-I believe in taking care of myself
You've already said all of this - no need to repeat it. You are implying that women aren't able to read and comprehend your written word.

Have a good one!
Unnecessary, and kind of implies that you are wishing them well in case they don't write back to you.

You need to put some spaces between your written text (paragraphs) so it looks less like a list.
 You go first
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:33:16 PM
Congratulations on the weight loss - that's really hard to do! Keep up the hard work.

Nice main photo - great smile. The bearded pictures - are they old? They age you a lot....

I think the primary problem is that you are a Habs fan. That's just unreconcilable. (Go Canucks!)

There is not a lot to complain about in your profile, other than you could always add a little more detail or humour. (What kind of food do you enjoy? Butter is nice, bacon is a mouthgasm)

I'm going to cut-and-paste some notes I made from another thread on sending first messages. The guy had "Fishing" as an Interest:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try this template which may help you get over the 'writer's block' for first messages:

Message: 3-4 sentence at most, light humoured, including 1 question only so she has an easy way to respond. Sign only your first name.

Do not say:

- Hi, Hey, Hello or How are you (wastes time)
- I read your profile (should be obvious)
- you're cute/pretty/beautiful (creepy in a first message)
- let's meet up for .... (again, creepy/pushy in a first message)
- check me out and email me back ( they know what to do already)
- hope to hear from you soon (sounds like begging/desperate)

Don't blather on about yourself - your profile is supposed to give information about you.

If I were writing to you, I'd use the specific interest of Fishing. Actually, that is the exact interest I used when I first wrote to my (now) husband.

Message: I just learned how to fly fish, but haven't actually caught anything yet. I much prefer spincast river fishing - fewer casualties! Have you been out yet this season? (first name only)

See? No pressure, obviously I read your profile, open a conversation, easy way to respond if you choose.
 gcdeb
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/29/2012 10:10:36 PM

the beard is new... So I guess in a way it does age me. :) It's more my winter look.
It makes you look about 40 - you look much nicer without it. Don't grow it back until AFTER you have snagged a new girlfriend ;)
 Green_MK2
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2013 5:21:42 AM
The main reason to cut down from from 425 pounds should be that you probably doubled your life expectancy and quality or life. Congratulations.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > I got more reply's when I was fat... what the???