Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GeekyCrazyButCool
Msg: 1
Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
So here is a question I've been wondering about,

No doubt most of you have seen numerous dating website advertising on POF, Facebook, TV etc.
Have you tried any of these? Some seem kind of sketchy to me...while others look professional but are big $$$

Here are a few I've been curious about please add to the list and relay any experiences you may have had positive or negative.

Match.com
Zoosks its on FB
Adult friend finder
Lavalife
Christian mingles
CougarLife.com
 FourWinds82
Msg: 2
Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?
Posted: 12/29/2012 3:23:17 PM
AFF: I wouldn't recommend it, not a very good site for dating if thats what you're looking for. Truth be told if you're a male not very good results period. I would avoid.

ChristianMingle: Very easy to meet others actually it wasn't a bad experience.

Those are the only two that I've been a part of that I remember anything about. I think I was on match once about 8 years ago or something.
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 3
Posted: 12/29/2012 3:29:58 PM
Match.com has problems with scam profiles..

OK Cupid is good.. I like it.

Cupid dot com is crap and spamville
 bmore_goat
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:14:10 PM
Keep in mind I haven't dealt with any of these site in almost 3 years, but will relate how I have experienced them.

Match.com - Had a few spammers and women from Ghana write me. Not paying a site to have scammers
Zooksk - Women just never got back to me. I would write them, they write back saying there were interested and poof, they disappeared.
AFF - Same thing. I'd write to them and I'd get the "sure, very interested" and then no follow up.
Lavalife - The worse of the bunch. Russia scammers aplenty. I would love how I would pay for a month's subscription after my inbox had a dozen email which I can't read and about 8 of them were adverts.
I would write a couple women back and 2 weeks goes by, then I get a reply like, "sure love to chat more".
Strangely enough, I'd get a replies 3 days before my subscription runs out and then after my month is out, I'd get another dozen or so women writing me.

Haven't dealt with the other two.

On a whole, I no longer pay for dating sites anymore. I have had tenfold better luck on POF then all the other sites mentioned combined. I hear a lot of ****ing about POF, but with the events and forums and it's not costing me one red cent, POF is a great deal.
Strangely enough, I've been on POF since 2008 and I haven't had ONE scammer write me.
 Accabella
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/29/2012 4:40:34 PM
collarme.com if you're looking for something a little spicier.

Or so I've heard.

AstrologyNut
Msg: 6
Posted: 12/29/2012 5:51:56 PM
Let's talk about the paid sites first. Most of them let people sign up for free, but require a current paid membership in order to receive, read and send messages. As a result, most of the profiles on those sites are not currently paid up, so if you send someone a message, chances are they won't be able to read and respond to it. This is in addition to the big problem with free sites, which I'll discuss next.

I'm active in another forum about online dating. In that forum, I see constant complaints from guys who don't get responses to their messages. I also see complaints from women about guys who just want sex and aren't willing to commit. I have a theory, borne out by data that another dating site has released, that explains both sets of complaints: a small percentage (between 5 and 10 percent) of the men are receiving the majority of message from women and replies to their messages. As a result, they get the majority of the dates. The more scrupulous of them date until they meet a woman who stands out from the rest. I'm sure you can imagine what the less scrupulous of them do.

I have no idea how to fix this problem for guys, but what I've described above does suggest a strategy for women who are having trouble dating online: find suitable guys who for whatever reason aren't getting as much attention as the guys you usually respond to. There are decent men here who aren't just looking for sex and are willing to commit.
 spot4username
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/29/2012 6:43:34 PM
A lot of it is geographical. In one area one site may be king while somewhere else it is another. Here it seems that most of the men on match are also here. There is some crossover with ok cupid.

The problem with match is there are so many inactive profiles. I have had a profile there for longer than I have had this one but it has been hidden for years. Most people don't hide their profile they just quit paying for it. That means you can write or wink at that profile a million times but they will never know because they are long gone. I also found that there were plenty of profiles that bait you - that is when it is time to pay or renew you suddenly have interest from a profile. Those profiles are not real. Match and other sites have actually been taken to court over this. In my area there are profiles that are just as old as mine but are not hidden. The content has not changed and they have the same photos. I know this because I have been around so long but a person just signing up would have no way of knowing.

Eharmony is a joke. What seems like a million years ago I actually paid to be a member there. I eventually got a full refund. It was that bad. Seriously.

OK Cupid is not very busy in this area. I do like that you can read the answers people give to questions. That is very helpful in determining if there are deal breakers or a big WIN!

At least here you aren't paying to view or attempt to interact with inactive profiles.

There are a few threads on this. You should do a search.
 tie_me_up81
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/29/2012 6:58:52 PM

collarme.com if you're looking for something a little spicier.

Great for women, bad for men. The ratio of more men compared to women is far worse in such sites compared to vanilla dating sites. Due to the supply and demand, most of the dominant women act like extreme uppityish narcissistic loons who are nearly impossible to please.
 SweetHeartedLady
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/29/2012 7:32:45 PM
I read POF has the most members. Match.com used to be great but with all the FREE SITES everyone moved her and .com.

I met so many men since New York City has 8 million people; and still have not found the right one for me.

A friend of mine who wife died met on his first date on eHarmony the same woman he is now dating for 5 years.. He is a senior citizen and just lucked out...(after I talked him into joining any dating site).

But as mentioned I think POF has the most members...

Last week I had a great date but after 6 hours the man turned out to be smoker........but I have it in my profile NO SMOKERS; and even put mail filters. This happened so many times..

Why spent hours talking on the phone; all the trouble of dinner etc... and you lie about smoking... ?? and after 6 hours you can not wait any longer to have one.. lol

Karma?
 GeekyCrazyButCool
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/30/2012 7:47:57 AM
Thank you all for sharing you experiences it looks like POF judging from your responses.
I was on lavalife many years when it first started and it was great but now as someone mentioned
it's horrible.....what a waste of money scam city. I guess I'll stick with this then for while see if my
fortunes change :)
 phoenix_55
Msg: 11
Posted: 12/30/2012 7:58:06 AM
My experience is not good with any site -- too many liars and players. I tried match, and only met 1 guy in a year and he was still in love with his ex; eHarmony encourages people to not post pictures -- not going down that road ever. Tried ChristianMingle -- only got messages from men who were looking for sex (of course, that isn't what their profiles stated). Never heard of courgarlife, but I'm not interested in anyone young enough to be my kid.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/30/2012 8:07:36 AM

Why spent hours talking on the phone

I'm going to write a book...
don't spend hours on the phone...

People will not like what I am going to say, & I sincerely mean it not to be hurtful...
"wherever you go, there you are"
UNTIL YOU CHANGE YOURSELF...and be your authentic self...

otherwise, you are just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.
Trust me, it works!
Sometimes all we have to do is tweak a few things about ourselves, how we handle people, etc.
 GeekyCrazyButCool
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/30/2012 8:43:46 AM
I just wanted to say that craigslist is a total waste of time if you are looking for someone.
I posted an ad in the males seeking women section and my responses....were only gay/trans men, spam and working girls.....I know....I should have known better lol but it was worth a try.
 toightpants
Msg: 14
Posted: 12/30/2012 8:54:07 AM

I don't really know what you mean by having "good results."

IMO/IME websites are simply an offshoot of the old chat rooms like AOL and Yahoo! rooms that became inundated with spambots forcing people that were attracted to that sort of thing to find other avenues to do the same thing.
The same type of people that were drawn to chat rooms, the drama, the quick pick ups, the safety and control of the medium, are still here and growing.

IME in the 90's of the chat rooms, people would sign on, sit there and talk about the drama in their lives, complain, tease each other, and occasionally go to a chat room get together usually at a bar or club (there's dancing, food, and beer!).

At these events people would try to randomly hook up with the cutest (or easiest) people they could, then go back the next day to the chat rooms and complain how they were used for sex, problems with society, attempt to assert their authority and dominance of the group, complain about people that just trolled trying to get laid at the get togethers, any relationship problems arising from people that tried to turn chat room romances into idealized fantasy relationships.
Then they'd have another chat room get together and do it all over again, same people would hook up with other same people, or someone new.

So, if by "good results" you mean "which dating websites are the best for fostering basic social interaction and human impulses" then it's going to be the free ones that make it easier for people to contact each other (potentially form groups), fewer boundaries of participation, and possibly offer some form of entertainment so you make a positive association with the site and keep coming back.

If by "good results" you mean "which dating websites are actually tailored to romantically matching 2 people that are approaching dating and relationships with a healthy mindset," then it's going to be none of them. Because then you are asking "okay, which potato chip is going to help me loose weight and increase my health. Some now offer 30 new vitamin additives (measures of compatibility). Some are made from potatoes, and some are baked." The goal of the companies are not what you think they are, they are simply offering you something to fulfill your perceived appetite in order to get your money, or eyeballs in order to get money from others. Any weight loss, increase in health, or healthy relationship formed is going to be more of a coincidence, a standard of error, rather than through anything the website has to offer.
 windchymes
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 9:13:49 AM
I saw some interesting people who were NOT in here or on any other sites (that I know of) on.....believe it or not.....FarmersOnly.com I haven't been active in there, just browsed, but I was intrigued and surprised at how many were not actually farmers, but more like "country-boy" minded guys who lived in bigger towns or cities, or guys who lived in rural areas but were not farmers. It's a pay site, though, so I probably won't join up.
 ABritInBurnaby
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:09:15 AM
OK Cupid is hands down the best free dating website from personal experience.

I actively used POF for maybe 2 months, it was painful, tiring and depressing. My success rate (in terms of how many responses I got) was laughable. When I did get a response, it would go nowhere. I didn't get a single date from POF. It is extremely poorly structured, the search and matching system is pathetic and I generally think the quality of people there is poor for someone like me (looking for long-term). I see it as a short-term, hook up kind of site.

I joined OKC in October and my success rate there has increased immensely. I regularly get responses from girls and have met 5 different ladies since. I think the matching and questions system there is fantastic and something POF is lacking desperately. Profiles are well structured with headings and the search capabilities are more detailed (You can actually find like minded people without having to read through hundreds of profiles). I've also noticed I get a lot more profile views on OKC despite using the same photos. I also get a lot of messages from girls writing to me first, which has never, ever happened on POF for me despite using pretty much the same profile. I also find the quality of people there to be better, but again that personal preference on what you are looking for. There isn't quite as much choice as POF, but I often wonder whether that much choice POF offers is a good thing, I'm starting to doubt it.

While we're here, don't bother with eHarmony. That was the first site I ever used as I thought a paid site would be where the serious daters were, but for what you pay, the results are very poor. The site is too restricting, it doesn't even allow you to search for people on your own. Being sent a couple of matches each day is a slow process and after a couple of weeks into my 3 month subscription, they pretty much ran out of matches for me. I'm in a pretty populous city too (Vancouver) so if you don't live in a city, it's even worse.
 activemelaney
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:54:13 AM

What you are going to find is that if you sign up for 3 pay sites to try them for a month that most of the people on those sites are also on here.

Actually, no. I found my guy on Match . My searches found only about 25% of Match members were also on POF....for me that meant another 300 or so guys that met my particular requirements. 300 more potential mates. My guy wasn't on POF and had never even heard of it although he knew of Eharmony. Also, although there are some great guys on POF, 'in general', the guys on Match were more serious.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/30/2012 10:58:34 AM
So here is a question I've been wondering about,

No doubt most of you have seen numerous dating website advertising on POF, Facebook, TV etc.
Have you tried any of these? Some seem kind of sketchy to me...while others look professional but are big $$$

Here are a few I've been curious about please add to the list and relay any experiences you may have had positive or negative.

Match.com
Zoosks its on FB
Adult friend finder
Lavalife
Christian mingles
CougarLife.com

My only recent experience with those on your list is Lavalife. Years ago, I think it was a great site and I met someone in 2001 whom I married. I've been a paid member for a few months and it has been a complete disaster, so the site has really gone downhill. My blocked list is enormous and contains mostly scammers who're trying to impersonate 20 and 30 year old women (all gorgeous, of course). I find it amazing that scammers still can't write an understandable sentence or spell simple words correctly, nor are they smart enough to pretend that they live somewhere near me. I often bait them just for fun to see what kind of reply I get.

More recently, I've been on OurTime.com which has some kind of connection with SeniorPeopleMeet.com. There's actually a lot of women on there, and I've met a few nice ladies. The site isn't into matching people at all. You just search according to your criteria and hope for the best. The downside is you can spend a lot of time looking at profiles, all of which show up every time you do a search.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/30/2012 11:07:09 AM
Adult friend finder

a few months ago, I had an ad on there saying I was a vanilla woman who was tired of the BS on regular sites & wanted a steady regular romantic relationship-no pics posted...I got at least 100 emails in 24 hours...most of them were on POF too...
 OutMind
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:46:00 PM
When women pay, they are more serious about wanting to actually meet. When it's free, they just hang out forever. When I was in Match I could get two dates a week. In POF, couldn't get that many responses. Interestingly enough, when I stopped using POF and out of the blue, contacted ONE woman, I ended up dating her.
 Sundust20
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:57:09 PM
Most of these dating site are the same,it's a good thing Pof is for free in some way,but i do not trust any of the dating site at all,again my friend remember that you are a man.
 passion2pleaseaz
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/30/2012 4:05:53 PM
POF is the best in my opinion when you consider all factors.the big thing is POF has alot of users and its free.
 grove_22
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/9/2013 6:53:32 AM
POF is the best in my opinion when you consider all factors.the big thing is POF has alot of users and its free.

I disagree. I don't think any dating site is perfect. There are flakes, jerks, cheaters etc on every dating site. However I have been on both Match and POF. I think Match is better compared to POF. I got many more emails and dates from Match.
 SweetLady075
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/11/2013 10:57:59 AM
I think any site can work.. I have one friend that met her husband on Match.com and another that met her husband on POF. I personally think it comes down to how picky you are. I probably wouldn't have dated either of the people that they married.. And that's why I'm still single :( One has to learn to stop looking for that ideal mate that you built up in your head. I haven't quite learned that yet.
 LivvyH.
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2013 4:33:27 PM
I agree with you there. Sometimes you have to go a bit out of your type to find that "one". There is preference and then there is picky.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Which Dating Websites Have Good Results?