Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help Me Not Look Too Scary!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Help Me Not Look Too Scary!Page 1 of 1    
I signed up and have had to wait three days before I can post in here and I wanted to get feedback about my profile before sending any messages to people. Please take a look and give me any suggestions you have but try and be nice!
 Happy_Gal_63
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Help Me Not Look Too Scary!
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:23:26 PM
I would agree to remove some of the information regarding pervertes etc. Perhaps you could put your tagline as distinguished gentleman

I think if you take the parts about drinking out as it sounds slightly judgemental. I understand exactly where you're coming from and relate, but focusing on what you and your partner will find enjoyment in is a more positive approach.

The comment that they will be baffled assumes that the women that are viewing your profile are uncultured. For the woman who knows Castelnuovo-Tedesco may take offense to that - perhaps you could turn it around to say if you know who the last one is I'd love to talk to you.

The rest of it looks ok.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 1:47:23 PM
Thank you all for the comments, changes have been made! Bio has been re-jigged and re-written, new photos added. Please feel free to help me more!

Sure, some ladies might not like the tight shirt thing but if that's the case they won't like me. I wear tight shirts a lot of the time, all of my clothes were chosen for me by hetero females.

That said, I appreciate the feedback from all of you that took the time :-)
 luckygirlforyou
Msg: 4
Posted: 12/30/2012 2:33:47 PM
hi i like your profile and that picture you took for your friend its very nice , Happy New Year to you , take care
 You go first
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/30/2012 2:35:55 PM
<<< very much likes a tight t-shirt photo...

The only things I'd nag about are the Kids question, and the Interests field. If you truly hate kids, put No. If you aren't sure about dating a single mom, put No and mention it in your profile. If you really don't know, you can use Undecided/Open. "Prefer not to say" leaves way to much room in the female imagination for dark things to enter.

In the Interests field, replace a couple of the generics with specifics. Or - add a couple of specifics.

Nicely done.
 firefly416
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 3:41:55 PM
I'd use the model shot as your main one. I thought the written part was fine but I didn't see it before.

Firefly
 ABC78
Msg: 7
Posted: 12/30/2012 4:22:09 PM
Thank goodness you live in Canterbury! Do me a favour and don't move to Scotland. It is hard enough on here without the likes of you getting in the way. :-)
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2012 6:13:15 AM
Thank you all so much for your input! Clearly I'm rubbish at writing profiles and your help is much appreciated and was obviously very much needed.

I wish you all the best of luck.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:05:39 AM
People here gave me so much feedback but, sadly, it's all been in vain. I emailed ladies that i thought i had a chance of getting a reply from but no one replied. So what's wrong? Am i just unattractive? My best friend tells me I'm "a very particular type" which i think amounts to the same thing. Or are they just too jealous of my hair?! Be serious please, cos if even internet dating doesn't work i don't see what chance i have...
 Indira46
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 9:15:09 AM
I'm jealous of your hair.

What kind of messages are you sending?

3 to 4 sentences. Comment on something written in their profile. End it with a question about one of their interests.
No " baby, sexy, honey"
Do not comment on heir looks.
Do not say" message me back, hope to hear from you"
En it with a question.
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 11:57:35 AM
I've read about how to write good emails so everything I've written fits what Indira says, except i probably wrote hope to hear from you soon. How the hell does that make a woman NOT write back!?

I haven't adjusted my age settings because, although I've reached the grand old age of 36 i still feel 24, (and i have the body to match!). I'd also like a girlfriend that lives near me, and i don't consider 75 miles close!
 CanterburyMike76
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 6:49:12 AM

Don't ask the woman out for a meet/her phone number immediately. It's coming off as a tad desperate and it's creepy.
Ask her one or two questions based on her profile. Do not bombard her.
Don't rattle on and on about yourself.
Keep it light.
Add a touch of humour.
Don't comment on her physical attributes.

Lol, thanks, I knew THAT much! Thanks for answering my question. So now that I've clearly made an idiot of myself in the emails I sent out I now need to wait for new people to sign up...
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Help Me Not Look Too Scary!