Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Guys & Gals would going Shopping on a Date be Taboo or Fun ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 4
Guys & Gals would going Shopping on a Date be Taboo or Fun ? Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Shopping on a date would be fun ?

Seriously ''Really ' guys would be opposed to go shopping just for fun ?

I don't shop for "fun". I shop because I actually "need" something. That's it. What the phuck is "fun" about walking around, touching,looking at "stuff" (mostly shiat by they way) that is overpriced, marketed so that you feel the "need" for it, and tossing my money at it. We, as a society have too much "stuff", period. And then, we have to get bigger places to live for that "stuff", and if we can't get that bigger place, we have to rent storage. I save the time and effort for that storage and leave the shiat in the store.

Now, if you want to go with me to browse a sex toy shop, I'm in. But, let me warn ya, we are gonna be testing some of the products.
 five-marie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Guys & Gals would going Shopping on a Date be Taboo or Fun ?
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:16:56 AM
I like the idea. I hate meeting for a coffee, so awkward. I had to go to Home Depot one day and suggested meeting there. He got so angry he never spoke to me again. "I like to give all my attention to the person I'm meeting" he said.
Bookstore, Home Depot, don't have to actually buy anything, I just find it a way to keep conversation flowing.
Nothing creepier than sitting at a small table in Timmies with no where to look but at their face 6 inches away from yours.
 DietFree
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:31:56 AM
I shop because I need something, but I do look around the stores while I'm in the mall. I don't see a problem being with someone else and shop together, but I don't want to be stuck following her and not having a chance to shop in the stores that I want to try.

Four years ago I was shopping with a woman. She'd just suddenly go into stores without letting me know, forcing me to look for her. It is NOT a good feeling being in some store and finding out that she left already.
 grove_22
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/3/2013 6:52:36 AM
I wouldn't be interested. When I go shopping, I simply buy what I'm looking for and leave. I don't walk around stores for hours casually browsing at various items.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/3/2013 3:22:14 PM
Yes. I know how you feel. It's fun to be a fag hag and go on shopping dates with my gay buddies.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/3/2013 3:45:06 PM
I think it may be a bad idea for a guy
to go shopping with a woman he is not married to.
(probably a bad idea with one married to as well.LOL)

The reason I say that is I have been dragged along shopping
with two previous GFs on occasion.
and well....my opinion was useless.
I don't know chick shoes.
I don't know throw pillows.

Almost had fun picking out clothes for both of our grandkids.
Except I didn't know the sizes of mine.
I mean small and not so small are not measurable.

I did have a good opinion on lingerie.
However none was modeled for me in the store.
so that was a let down.

And as much as both ladies tried to set it up...
I was too clever to be caught in "the hold my purse while I go in here" guy test ruse.
I would....if properly married and domesticated.
Then I could sit on the mall bench with the other forlorn guys holding purses.
But for a single guy to be there with one.
bit silly.
 Walts
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/3/2013 5:10:40 PM

I think if you both listed on your profiles that you were into Book Fairs/Flea Markets/Antiquing it may be fun to spend a day chatting and getting to know each other

This I agree with, but, I don't define it as "shopping" but, more as "hunting". My ex gave me shiat one time cause I decided to climb a bunch of furniture stacked up about 40 feet high in a barn to take a look at a old framed picture that I thought was interesting. Almost killed myself, but, I still have the picture hanging here.
 DameWrite
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:32:04 PM
It's bad enough if I have to go shopping, I don't want to have to put a my fellow through that. Especially on a first (date?). For those into it, I guess it would be revealing in some ways. I REALLY don't like shopping.

I would rather pick up something at the stands and eat it walking around somewhere cool. Or go foraging. Or get some oysters and have a feast at the fire.
 Maleman999
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/3/2013 8:04:41 PM
About 90% of stores in malls are high priced women's clothing and shoe stores. Why would any woman want a guy to follow her from store to store like a love sick puppy? Oh yeah-to hold her purse while she tries on outfits and to carry the shopping bags so her hands are free to handle merchandise in the next store.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2013 10:01:26 PM
Are you serious OP?
I love shopping too much to have someone tag along or glued on to me. I could never enjoy it.

Also, dating means getting to know someone. How would you get to know someone when you're paying attention to shopping? You're different people. You're gonna have different interests and tastes. I don't even enjoy shopping with female friends.

I think someone you are dating deserves the respect of your attention. I cannot imagine having fun shopping and dating at the same time.

Do you hope your date will buy you something just in case you don't win the Lottery (per your profile)?
 Daisysanddirt
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/4/2013 3:35:21 PM
I think (and I could be wrong) that OP doesn't really mean shopping so much as walking, browsing and talking. That would be a good way to get to know each other in a safe, casual setting. If things weren't going well, once loop through the mall and either party could easily exit. If things were going well, a few more circuits or another activity could be called for. So, mutual attraction or not, all ends well.
 Maleman999
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/4/2013 7:49:48 PM
The only guys who would truly like it are guys who will go in the female clothing stores and try on outfits for themselves. lol.
 OutMind
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/8/2013 11:39:18 AM
I hate shopping. I hated that about my ex, who could shop for hours on end, only to then want to see the same item but now at Norstrom. You got to be kidding me. The girl I am dating, we went shopping together for the holidays. Loved it. She shops like a guy. Go in, find what you want, go out. Done. Awesome.

The only place that I really enjoy are farmer's market and ethnic markets, fish markets, meat markets.
 activemelaney
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2015 1:59:36 PM
I can't imagine my guy going into a store without a specific purpose. A box of nails, windshield fluid, a bottle of wine.

The one exception is a big one and great for a date....the thrift, goodwill store (or whatever you call it in your area). A blast! We try on the weirdest hats, ugly shirts, bad taste shoes, etc. Walk by the tacky ornaments and figure out their history (gift to grandma in 1975?). And...drum roll...he might actually buy something spontaneously!

It's like playing dress up for adults. Where else could I get him to put on plaid slacks and a Hawaiian shirt? Also, we sometimes fool around a bit in the dressing groom.

Side note. My fellow usually buys my dresses for me. Our first New Years he went with me and was in absolute agony after 20 minutes. He thought I would just get a dress and not have to visit a half dozen stores. Now I just take his debit card and he gets to stay home. Bottom line...He hates shopping and to be honest I hate him shopping with me. I want to take my time and not thinking that I'm torturing him.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:02:15 PM
Do you have the slightest clue about straight men OP?

Unless a man specifically told me that he enjoyed shopping, I would not agree to a shopping date.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/8/2015 2:10:40 PM
I have had 2 men take me shopping on a first meet, following the obligatory coffee.

One - we walked around the supermarket. Not particularly exciting.
The other we walked around a market.... that was interesting.
Both their idea.
Neither were planned to be shopping dates.

Oh.. Oh.....
I have asked men to come with me when shopping....
for house, car, boat and mooring spot.
Generally when they have expertise to share and I am picking their brain.
In these instances, I have paid for lunch.
 the_summerwind
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/8/2015 3:34:36 PM
If a guy decides to go with her, remember there is a reason why there are all benches etc outside those places for you to rest & comprehend..... while she strolls down all the isles, and most of the time comes out with nothing.......^^^

But.... when I'm involved with someone romantically.... I can at times go shop for her alone.... & hope she likes what I bought her.....and not always at Victoria Secret either ! ^^^

Do you have the slightest clue about straight men OP?

Yes, being with a woman who knows her man's softer sides too.... cheers
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/8/2015 3:53:35 PM
I have very strong opinions about 'Shopping' and 'Purchasing'.

Taboo-'Purchasing' has a singular purpose. You need to buy from a list or you need to find just one thing. When I'm a woman on a mission, I get in, get out, gette'r done alone.

Fun-'Shopping' is something to do, an activity with no purpose, go to boutique stores, farm markets, flea markets, thrift stores, vintage clothing stores, antique malls, even the big box home stores, the possibilities are endless. Of course somewhere along the line you grab a bite to eat, a cup of coffee, at a quaint little diner or a local bar & grille.

I can go 'shopping' with just about anyone. My GF's, my BF, my daughter, my son, my granddaughters, my aunt and even my brother! LOL, No complaints so far!
 petula1908
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/8/2015 4:39:54 PM
Depends on how hot he finds you whether he would tolerate that kind of meet, but most men are into really into shopping unless it is for food and may feel the pressure to buy you something perhaps??

By the way on a first meet do you allow the guy to buy you dinner or expect it?

Shopping expeditions are best done with girlfriends, why would you take a date? You can shop anytime. Different if you are setting up house together and need his input. Or perhaps if you are buying a car, want his view.
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 1/8/2015 5:21:33 PM
Yeah, Amex Jenga! How many laptops can you fit on my credit card before you tell me I'm not your type?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/8/2015 5:27:10 PM

Neither. It would be unpleasant and a waste of time. I'm not acquisitive by nature and try to do as much of my shopping online as possible. I don't think of shopping as recreation; I think of it as a necessary evil.
 OtisGreening
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/8/2015 6:06:42 PM

Yes, being with a woman who knows her man's softer sides too.... cheers

There's a difference between going shopping with your actual boyfriend/husband and taking a man shopping that you are just dating.
 petula1908
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/8/2015 6:26:30 PM
ozsealady

What you describe, walking around the markets, is hardly a shopping date, just an activity after the coffee.
As for walking around a supermarket with a first meet, how boring and how "married couple". lol.
 south_city
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/8/2015 7:30:34 PM
I wouldn't be interested. When I go shopping, I simply buy what I'm looking for and leave. I don't walk around stores for hours casually browsing at various items.

I agree. I would rather shop online anyways. It's more convenient. Sometimes there is larger selection of items and better deals.
 tall_fit
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/8/2015 8:23:10 PM
I like shopping. But not on a date. Unless we randomly passed by a store that we were both interested in.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Guys & Gals would going Shopping on a Date be Taboo or Fun ?