Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Job interviews      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eve1962
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Job interviewsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I was made redundant after 19 years, so obviously have to start job hunting. I realise that job interviews have changed dramatically since my last one - it was all rather simpler years ago.

Can anyone advise on what sort of questions I should be prepared for?
 Warren_Evans
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/5/2013 5:15:17 AM
I have interviewed many people over the years and to be honest it all comes down to the first 30 seconds on meeting someone. The best thing to do when you enter the room is smile, be polite and offer to shake their hands and say thank you for seeing me.
If your asked questions about what you consider to be your faults. Just say that you do get distracted sometimes. Don't go and say things like, i get bogged down in details, i'm a perfectionist or trying to make a possitive sound like a negitive. I've seen and heard it all and like it said it's the first 30 seconds that are the most important.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/5/2013 5:19:14 AM
a job interview, can, in many ways be no different to meeting a date for the first time, in that, making the mistake of pretending to be something your not, can backfire, so, first rule, just be you :)
 Loose_end
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/5/2013 8:39:03 AM
Always remember you're also interviewing them.

I've been known to walk out of interviews, they were that bad, why on earth would i ever want to work there.

The best interviewers will have a knack of extracting all the information they need from you without effort. Inevitably they are also the best employers

Any references you have, make sure you have them with you. A reference portfoilio is the most important weapon in your arsenal, well it is for me anyway.

Good jobs are scarce, and in the main beggars cant be choosers. But there are still choices, just do the best you can to make the right one
 stonecastle
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/10/2013 4:00:34 AM
I once went a job interview and the interviewer was this extremely attractive woman. I wanted to let her know I fancied her but didn't know how to without being too direct. In such a situation does anyone know what to do so that you can let the woman know you like her without wrecking the interview?
 stonecastle
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/10/2013 4:21:17 AM

Not appropriate under any circumstance!!!! And very unprofessional if attempted.
But she could be the girl of your dreams though. So there should be some way of letting her know you are interested in her. In my case I thought I had my chance when she said "is there anything you want to ask me about the job". I tried as hard as I could to think of some way of letting her know I was interested in her but couldn't. But there must be ways. I think I could have said something like; "What about promotion prospects, how did you get to your position in the company did you get promoted?". Then when she explains that say something like; "Well you seem a really ambitious career minded woman, those are the qualities I like in a woman". Something like that very subtle.
 eve1962
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/10/2013 7:01:26 AM

the biggest shock prob will be that the interviewer will be half your age!.

best of luck

You're right there .....!! So it could be "what are your strengths?" - "I won't be nipping off for maternity leave". "Weaknesses?" - "hobbling to the bus stop on my zimmerframe".
 eve1962
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Job interviews
Posted: 1/10/2013 7:14:25 AM

Any references you have, make sure you have them with you. A reference portfoilio is the most important weapon in your arsenal, well it is for me anyway.

Surely you don't take references with you? The company sends off for them - otherwise, you could have written them yourselves saying how great you are?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Job interviews