Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Strange disappearing profile... What does this mean?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RainStride
Msg: 1
Strange disappearing profile... What does this mean?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Hello everyone. I encountered something unusual that's really confusing me.

I was previously having a pleasant conversation with a nice lady on here, on a just friends basis, wherein we were discussing philosophical things and just in talking about life in general.

Now though, the conversation has completely disappeared from my inbox even though I didn't delete it. Moreover, all history of me ever sending, viewing, or in any way interacting with the user has disappeared entirely. It's as if the conversation and the user never existed at all.

From what I understand, when a user deletes their profile it still shows you part of the old conversation text. Also, when a user blocks you I've been told that it just stops any new messages from being sent.

This begs the question: What on earth happened with this other users profile? It doesn't make sense.

First, it doesn't even look like a block or a deletion. Second, even if it was there's no reason I would have been blocked. The conversation was completely neutral and non-offensive, like talking about the weather for all practical purposes. Furthermore the other user had even consistently communicate she was very much enjoying the conversation. I truly do not understand.

Under what circumstances does someone appear to completely disappear from the website?
 RainStride
Msg: 2
Strange disappearing profile... What does this mean?
Posted: 1/6/2013 6:52:37 PM
Thanks for the info.

I don't know why POF would erase her, as she seemed entirely legitimate.

Thus, I suspect perhaps I was blocked or hid for some reason. What that reason is however is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps it was simply process of elimination or something. I certainly didn't do anything offensive. I'm just confused why such a neutral conversation would be blocked by someone.

This whole "dropping off the earth" thing seems to happen a lot on online dating sites. You're talking with someone for a while and they just disappear without explanation. It is truly beyond my understanding, especially considering how common the behavior is.

The only thing I can even remotely think of is the fact that I did a complete overhaul of my profile recently. The profile review people said it was actually better than my earlier one. Perhaps the profile change made her block me though... I do not know. Sometimes online dating makes me fear for the mental state and politeness (or lack thereof) of humanity.

Hmmm.... Anyway, thanks.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2013 8:08:55 PM

POF will not disclose to you why any user is no longer on the site unless of course you have a court order.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then eMail CSR here. Complaints HERE
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/7/2013 4:50:17 AM

This whole "dropping off the earth" thing seems to happen a lot on online dating sites. You're talking with someone for a while and they just disappear without explanation. It is truly beyond my understanding, especially considering how common the behavior is.

Yes, it happens to me all the time on POF plus a couple of other sites. Get used to it.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 5
Posted: 12/8/2013 2:28:11 PM

It's as if the conversation and the user never existed at all.

Maybe she's a time traveler. If she went back in time and told herself not to contact you, then for all intents and purposes the conversation never existed. You might still remember it, but your memory would be now just a hallucination.

Weren't you paying attention in your high school fourth dimensional non-Eisteinian manipulation class? Oh wait, they don't teach that yet, do they?
 mesmirizeyesing
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2014 7:08:52 AM
I had an issue where this happened after an "incident" and immediately, the profile disappeared. Can a member do that?? EVERYTHING was gone. It was like he never existed. [POF will not disclose to you why any user is no longer on the site unless of course you have a court order.]
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 7
Posted: 11/30/2014 6:26:18 AM
It happened to another Pof user who contacted me, and his messages to me were innocuous, rather innocent, and thus I lodged no complaints against him. I didn't reply to his sole two messages, but I kept some messages in my inbox --including his -- and though the appearance of his message was there, when I went to delete it and to see why it was a blank line, a message appeared that the profile had been deleted. There wasn't any indication as to whom was responsible for it, and why.
 curlyscorpiogirl
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2016 6:26:56 PM
Well I had a very similar experience.... A fine conversation, nothing unusual or out of the ordinary and practically mid-sentence - poof - he disappeared without a trace. I feel very confident he had no reason to block me. He completely vanished. Perhaps POF did nuke him.... It seems odd to me though all the same.
 pofman666
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2017 6:22:23 AM

I had the same thing. Was getting on great with one lady, she have me her number and we chatted for one and a half hours, to which afterwards, she messaged me and said she would love to meet, with kisses on the end.
I messaged her the next morning as arranged and her profile is still there along with our conversations, just minus her photo and it's constantly off line. It wouldn't appear as though she's blocked me and had no reason to.
Could it be because she published her telephone number on a message to me?
POF: could you provide an answer please as this lady was smoking hot and we got on soooo well?

If the messages on one side of the conversation have gone, then POF have removed her account. I had that happen after a date with someone, which wasn't leading to a second, but I knew she was clearly real and the least offensive date I've ever had, so I presume she'd been blocked too many times and they kicked her.

If ALL messages disappear from your page - to and from, then she's blocked you.

Occasionally, a woman's sent a msg before blocking me. I can't read it on my PC, but I can still read it on the mobile app. Then when on the moble app, you can block her back.
 Xela808
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/14/2017 6:38:49 AM
I like Cowboy's responses! LOL....makes me laugh :) Direct and to the point. I've learned that there is a lot of BS and BS people on dating sites, sorry to say. Don't over think it people....is what it is.
 PickeralCheeks
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2018 3:48:00 PM
I know this thread is a little old but I'm trying to figure something out. Similar thing just happened to me where a guy contacted me and while I did reply, I wasn't too sure if we were a good match. Anyway, we chatted a bit and I agreed to meet him at a later date. Logged in next day and all of our messages have disappeared - I didn't block him or delete anything. Don't really know what happened to him and don't really care except that one other person in my inbox also disappeared but I can see him if I look in messages I've sent or contact history. Weird that happened at the same time? I'm worried it's a weird glitch and might happen with someone who I don't want to lose contact with and isn't trying to block me either.
Thoughts?
Also, question... If I delete someone (not block) and their messages from my inbox, will they still see me and our messages in theirs?
And if block someone, do they disappear from my inbox and will I still see them pop up when they're online?

Thanks!
 theonef1
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/16/2018 9:25:09 PM
This just happened to me. Was having a great convo back and forth. The. I came back to check mail and everything was gone. I don’t know what happened but to me you would not have to block me. Just say you are not interested or lost interest. I’m a big girl and can handle it. Seems a little childish to just block someone . Wish travar36 good luck in his future!!! 😃
 DodgedAMullet
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2018 6:11:35 PM
I've had the exact experience. You're talking to someone normally and then boom no trace of them or the conversation.
 Vinced702
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/13/2018 5:18:43 PM
This happens to me all the time. Also lately I've been getting notifications on my cell phone from POF that so and so wants to meet me or favorited me. But when I go on the site there's no record of them ever viewing me, or wanting to meet me, or adding me as a favorite. People with fake profiles playing games is what I chalk it up to.
 Nnbean
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2018 9:27:13 PM
This just happened to me and is completely disappointing. One of the most real, genuine women I have met I. Here and nothing but an honest connection transpiring. She was expressing an interest to meet and as soon as I was about to send an invite her profile and message history disappears. Found a notification with a blanked out profile for her but I can’t open it, just get a “no internet connection” blurb yet I can open all else. I can’t seem to fathom why she would be blocked or would have blocked me.
 BrownEyedNSassy
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2018 5:30:06 PM
It was so strange. I was having a great conversation for days. I didn't post anything offensive. We were at the stage of setting up a date. Not only did his profile disappear, all messages too. It's so strange.. Awww. well. Next!
 MNLady10
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2018 4:28:37 PM
I was just chatting with a guy, setting up a coffee date just yesterday and today, all messages gone. When I click on the one sent message that shows up, I get “no internet connection. Try again”. And that is the ONLY sent message in my list that says that. All others are fine. I have internet connection. What’s up with this?
 SamburgerHelper
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2018 11:35:26 AM
This has happened to me 3 times so far, latest was just this afternoon (which is why I’m searching again). The first time, I actually got what might have been an explanation. I had been having a conversation with a girl that was going pretty well, for two or three days. She asked me for my phone number one night and I gave it. The next day her profile was completely gone, along with all of the messages I’d sent her and she’d sent me. I thought probably she’d blocked me, and I’ve been on enough dating sites not to be surprised by women cutting off contact for no reason at all. So I was disappointed, but whatever. And then she called me on the phone! She said her account had been deleted or banned or something, and not because she’d requested it. She said she suspected that this guy who had taken rejection badly had reported her profile and gotten it banned, but that she had screenshotted my phone number before it happened. She seemed kind of upset that she hadn’t gotten contact info from a couple of other guys and was worried they’d think she was crazy for vanishing. So we set up a date, and I wish I could say I found out we were just victims of a broken website, but then she postponed the date and then cancelled the postponement, and sent me a “it’s not you it’s me” text. So I never did meet her, and can’t with certainty say whether or not she was real or a scammer, or crazy, or managed to find a phone number for one of those other guys and just liked him better.

The second two times, it’s just been within the first hour of conversation or so, so I assume there are just dudes out there reporting profiles maliciously, and getting girls banned as revenge or something. It’s also possible all three of these women were cat fishers or something, and the bans were legitimate. It may be no coincidence that all three of them had the best looking pictures of any women that have ever actually replied to a message I’ve sent.
 lannadam
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2018 9:59:50 PM
Ok I just had the same thing. Not sure but I think if the person hides the profile it will do what your all saying. I have my profile on hide atm if you want to look me up you can do so just to see if that works. User name is lannadam
Let me know what you find out for I have the same thing going on. I’m talking to the person via text message but don’t want to ask because I don’t want her to think I’m looking for others. I’m a one person at a time person

Hope this helps and it’s whats going on good luck.
 Mr_Jackazz_Cash
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 12:20:44 PM
Hiding a profile hides it from searches. Hiding a profile will remove it from the viewed me lists. That is all it does.

Hiding a profile does not delete messages.
Hiding a profile does not hide messages.
Hiding a profile does not delete from the meetme list.
Hiding a profile does not prevent you, or anybody from viewing it.

If POF deletes a profile all messages you sent to, and/or received from, the user are deleted.
If POF deletes a profile they are removed from any and all viewed me lists.
If POF deletes a profile they are removed from any and all meetme lists.

It used to be that if the user deleted their own profile all message they sent were deleted but messages you sent them that are less than 20 days (or so) old stayed in your sent folder. I do not know if this is still the case.
 Chastirin
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 1:15:06 PM
Posted by: lannadam

Ok I just had the same thing. Not sure but I think if the person hides the profile it will do what your all saying. I have my profile on hide atm if you want to look me up you can do so just to see if that works. User name is lannadam
Let me know what you find out for I have the same thing going on. I’m talking to the person via text message but don’t want to ask because I don’t want her to think I’m looking for others. I’m a one person at a time person

Hope this helps and it’s whats going on good luck.

Your profile is not hidden.

Perhaps you have confused this feature with the one that stops you showing up in the "viewed me" section of the people you have viewed. That's about all it does though.

A hidden profile will not show up in searches (unless someone specifically searches for your/similar username) and doesn't show up in the "meet me" stack.

You can tell if a profile is hidden by viewing it in the desktop version. If there are pictures for other profiles at the top it isn't hidden. If there is a blank space across the top where links to other profiles usually are, it is hidden.
 yellowro3e
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 7:42:06 AM
This has just happened to me! I spent most of yesturday chatting to a guy who appeared completely normal, lived close by and conversation was normal chit chat about family, work, relationship history etc . Nothing dodgy or crude. We arranged to meet next week and he even described where he lives. We spoke this morning and everything was fine, I had appts today and I said I’d contact him when I was done. I received another message notification when I went to open the message there was nothing there, infact all messages from me to him and him to me have disappeared as has his profile ! I’ve checked and his profile isn’t on my block list , his profile doesn’t show up anywhere!!!??? I’m so confused as to how and why this has happened. Any ideas his user name is Marc939 so if anyone knows him can you ask him to get in touch .
 Mr_Jackazz_Cash
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 9:51:11 AM
His profile was deleted by POF. Any number of reasons whether deserved or not.

POF will never divulge why a user was deleted.

If he is real and if he is truly interested he will create a new profile and seek you out.
 yellowro3e
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 9:58:32 AM
Hi, thank you for your reply. I’m gutted as it was going so well and there was absolutely no reason for pof to delete his profile. We have arranged to meet and I don’t know if I should still go or is that just to sad and pathetic !!? Will he be able to make a new profile if pof deleted his old one?
 Mr_Jackazz_Cash
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 10:22:26 AM
First off, POF does not just delete users for something to do. The profile under the name you posted is gone. There is still a blip under that POF user name name on google for a 48 year ols, 5’10” non-smoker from Norwich, UK but the link to his profile is dead indicating that the profile is gone. It takes multiple people reporting a user or a rules violation for the site to delete a profile. That being said, many people have been deleted by having other people falsely reporting them.

Unless you are having some reservations about him, what would be the harm in meeting him? You made the arrangements so he was expecting it. He will obviously know that his profile is gone and should realize that will prevent you from responding. Just be sure to do it in a public place and either have someone else there or at least let people know when and where you plan the meeting – just in case. Just be a bit more cautious since his profile was deleted without him saying anything about deleting it on his own.

Angry people here in the forums have gotten my profile deleted more than a dozen times. I have recreated it each time. Several times using the same user name and same email address within a few minutes of finding out it was deleted. I usually posted under the handle of Mr_J_Cash .
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Strange disappearing profile... What does this mean?