Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > How much do you want to know about a guy's ex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 5
How much do you want to know about a guy's ex?Page 1 of 1    

How long have you been single?

I like that question as it helps you gauge as to if they are ready to date.
You could add on to that "How long were you with your previous partner".

As for providing information ... not right away.
That can be discussed over time.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 7
How much do you want to know about a guy's ex?
Posted: 1/8/2013 2:12:43 PM
A high-level discussion is fine and typically doesn't ruffle any feathers.
It was probably a bit more impactful many years ago...yet as an adult...the importance decreases.
There is naturally a difference between smalltalk and an interrogation.

In my example, I am a 45 y.o. man. Of course I have had lifetime experiences.
The baggage that I carry is airline-approved to comfortably fit in the overhead compartment.
That is what I believe is the more important factor...that one has grace, courtesy, and decency.

Hope that helps. :-)
 vestaceres
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/8/2013 2:26:54 PM
In the past, dates had voluntarily imbued me with unsolicited knowledge about their ex-whatevers, bringing up their past marriages, how bad they were, she did this and that, she is and was this and that. They got the point when I would walk away from their meanderings, and the date. The discussions about the ex are as bad as the people who never allow you a word in edge-wise, and those dates bored me to sleep, literally, on my plate.
 H0wAboutIt
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/8/2013 5:25:28 PM

In this scenario, how much do you want to know about the ex and what details do you want to know? Also, do you feel you have a right to know, and how would you react to simply being told by the person that they do not wish to discuss anything about their ex?

To be frank, that's ROCKY territory and considered "deep conversation" that can make or break your potential future.
Personally: I'm not all that interested in hearing about past relationships or talking about my own. When asked about it, I give them a short to the point to the answer...If they want to know why..."they weren't much of a giver".. "two different outlooks on life." ..and CHANGE THE SUBJECT..
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > How much do you want to know about a guy's ex?