Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > australia or japan      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mrang_675
Msg: 1
australia or japanPage 1 of 1    
where better to go for ppl who been to japan and australia. i been to china in nov 2012 and dont want go asia again so soon .

what u find was more fun. i cant speak japanese . im asian though 32 and if so will go alone . thinkin of contiki tours as the age group fits me and i wont be lonely too

also with japan did ppl who went there really went alone. meaning go on plane alone and when u get to japan u alone too. no friends or relative there. all on ur own. also cant speak the language well. i was in china and i cant speak manadrin and i found hotel staff, restaurant ppl cant understand u at all. ur helpless. i was in shanghai, nanking, suzhou, hong zhou for 11 days but with tour group so i was ok
some ppl tell me in japan ppl can speak english and u be ok and other say nobody speak english. so i dont know who to believe. which tour groups company have you used and say is good and decent priced and gives y ou the real experience
 billingsmason
Msg: 2
australia or japan
Posted: 1/12/2013 12:24:14 AM
hostels are great places for meeting people, and they are fairly cheap.
you can connect and ask what's good, what's worth it what's not..
people from all over the world use them, and there is a camaraderie there.

if the language barrier is too big to overcome and enjoy yourself... either learn or go where you understand.
I can usually speak and ask directions and things, but am too slow to understand responses.
making the effort to try seems to help the locals want to try and help. if you are just another lazy foreigner, they aren't as helpful.

either way- just have fun. some things are universal.
 RJHistoryGirl
Msg: 3
view profile
History
australia or japan
Posted: 1/12/2013 12:38:27 AM
I lived in Japan for several years. It was a blast! When I got there I knew just a few words of the language. Something that helped tremendously- get a good dictionary that goes both ways, and always have paper and pencil. Most of the Japanese people that I met had at least a rudimentary understanding of either English or French, and would try to communicate if I did. Many older people did not have confidence in their speaking ability, moreso with English than French, IME. When conversations became difficult, I would pull out my dictionary and writing materials. The smiles I got, and the thank yous were incredible. Also, when traveling about the country, DO stay in either hostels or minshukos. The people you meet will be from every where and excited to meet others, interact, learn and teach. Whatever you decide to do, have fun!
 mrang_675
Msg: 4
australia or japan
Posted: 1/14/2013 8:31:24 AM
im like early 30s too old for hostel . im really 32
 RJHistoryGirl
Msg: 5
view profile
History
australia or japan
Posted: 1/14/2013 11:18:12 AM
In Japan, you can still use the hostels, and many do. I was late 20's and early 30's when living in Japan, and often took my small children with me. They may be called Youth Hostels, but in especially southern Japan, everyone uses them.
 mrang_675
Msg: 6
australia or japan
Posted: 1/14/2013 12:57:19 PM
is it easy to make friend or ppl mainly very cliqeuy like just stick with their own crew and group
 RJHistoryGirl
Msg: 7
view profile
History
australia or japan
Posted: 1/14/2013 8:46:47 PM
I can't comment on most of the main parts of Japan, I spent most of my time in the southern Ryukyu's. Down there... evenings in the hostels and minsukos were kinda like informal dinner parties. Everyone staying there was there and talking and sharing their day and planning for tomorrow. I made many friends there. Most of the islands are small, so we did a lot of hopping- a day or two here, and on to the next. Most of the travel between the islands is by ferry and only takes an hour or two.

I have been told by friends that spent more time up north that it is mostly the same up there. People who stay at these type of places WANT a family/friendly atmosphere and want to meet new people. Also in Japan, typically the breakfast or dinner is included at the hostel and both are included at the minshuko, so everyone eats together. They tend to be very inclusive places, I never noticed any cliquishness.

My favorite places to stay are the hostel(there's only the one) in Ishigaki and Izumiya on Taketomijima. Both are have very friendly staff and cater to tourists that are looking for friendly atmospheres and to make new friends. Often, I would spend the day out with people I met there just the night before. Both islands are incredibly safe as well. I wish I could remember the name of the minshuko on Akajima. You kinda have to be careful in Okinawa, there are so many American military that some of the locals are wary- this tends to be true of the areas around any of the American military bases in Japan. I like the Ryukyus because it's warm there and the reefs are incredible diving. It snows up in Hokkaido where I had some friends. *shivers*

*Edited* for spelling and grammar. Argh!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > australia or japan