Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > idle no more      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LennyPane
Msg: 2
view profile
History
idle no morePage 1 of 1    
I've read a lot of books by author Wade Davis. He talks about this a lot...
 Celje
Msg: 3
idle no more
Posted: 1/12/2013 7:21:05 AM
Untill the native's ignore their poorly fueled aboriginal status they will stay in idle mode.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
idle no more
Posted: 1/12/2013 9:07:50 AM
I'm not completely sure, but this appears to be another iteration of the notion that the non-civilised, or more accurately described "not as technologically advanced" peoples of the world, are ipso facto happier than we are. Look up "noble savage" for related nonsense.

I submit that this is in the imagination of the person observing the less-techno peoples, and isn't a real part pf their existence. They suffer from depression as well. When it gets bad enough, it results in their death.

And, if you want to become one of those kinds of people, you can. Go live in the wild, and accept all that goes with that. If that life fulfills you, enjoy! If not, come back and join THIS grind again.
 Smootheticate
Msg: 5
idle no more
Posted: 1/12/2013 11:09:46 AM
^^^^

Happier than technologically advanced people might be the wrong way to say it. What I do believe has some truth to it is that sometimes technology and the changing of culture that comes along with industrialization, specifically the changing of the family unit and it's role can make a people less happy than they were in their non-industrialized culture. This is one of the main issues with the West trying to "modernize" the rest of the world. A lot of times locals are willing to listen about new technology that will improve their lives but with our technology often comes economic systems that places non-westerners at a disadvantage and changes relationships within their own society that they see as a perversion of how people should treat each other. In short, the idea of personal property and trade that is very forgein to non-western or "non-modernized" cultures is often used to disenfranchise locals rather than empower them and once those systems are in place is used to take advantage of them and take away their land and ruini their culture. For all the wealth and power the West has created it has in many ways gone in the wrong direction when it comes to family values and human relationships, something non-westerners see and don't want. In that sense they are happier without our economic systems that have in the past been used to oppress people, ruin cultural identities and destroy family values that non-westerners value much more than material wealth.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
idle no more
Posted: 1/12/2013 12:10:06 PM
Now, that, I will agree with you on.

One of the big things we are struggling with here in the US, is that a number of powerful groups are engaged in an ongoing effort to use the power of government to force everyone to make our social structure serve profiteering, instead of having capitalism be merely a tool to facilitate the progress of our lives.

It isn't technology, or civilization (i.e. living in cities, instead of hunter-gatherer or randomized agricultural ways) which is tied inevitably to this, it is a particular subgroup who want to use anything and everyone, to enrich themselves alone, without bearing any responsibility for whatever real costs to others are accrued.

We can have modernized life, with all the improved health and safety which that can provide, WITHOUT discarding the importance of caring for each other as fellow beings.
 Smootheticate
Msg: 7
idle no more
Posted: 1/12/2013 12:24:39 PM
Now, that, I will agree with you on.

One of the big things we are struggling with here in the US, is that a number of powerful groups are engaged in an ongoing effort to use the power of government to force everyone to make our social structure serve profiteering, instead of having capitalism be merely a tool to facilitate the progress of our lives.

It isn't technology, or civilization (i.e. living in cities, instead of hunter-gatherer or randomized agricultural ways) which is tied inevitably to this, it is a particular subgroup who want to use anything and everyone, to enrich themselves alone, without bearing any responsibility for whatever real costs to others are accrued.

We can have modernized life, with all the improved health and safety which that can provide, WITHOUT discarding the importance of caring for each other as fellow beings.

Yep, absolutely. When the West goes into other cultures and tries to define "development" for them it is doomed to fail. The good news is is that there is a lot more understanding today about what true development is and a much more concerted effort to respect other people's culture while still helping them in ways that respects and preserves their cultural identity while addressing "developmental" concerns specific to their geographical location and cultural needs.

A possible example of this could be the Japanese who's land is not rich in resources. So, from a "developmental" perspective their needs might be becoming more involved in economic trade, understanding their cultural strengths that the rest of the world values and respecting those power differences to empower, rather than disempower a people who are geographically isolated. Too many times people exploit weaknesses rather than utilize strengths. The former creates power hierarchies that keeps our world from progressing towards a more peaceful union and the latter creates a world where we respect and cultivate diversity in order to constantly come up with new ways to improve humanity. I believe this understanding of empowering human relationship is humanities biggest hurdle.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > idle no more