Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Should you always message back?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
Should you always message back?Page 1 of 1    
The million dollar question!

OP ... if you do a thread search you will receive a TON of answers.

Myself ... I don't.
No answer = No interest.

If a man writes you back the second time to abuse you,
Block and Delete are your best friend.
 johnnyinkfreak316
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Should you always message back?
Posted: 1/17/2013 5:34:44 PM
if they are turning nasty over not getting a reply you made a good choice in not talking them! i feel like a creep if i accidently send a girl a message when she didnt reply. at the end of the day if they are rude and other words i cant say on here without the post getting deleted, you know why they are on here, for being to much of *insert favorite vulgarity* to actually get a woman in general.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/17/2013 5:36:18 PM
Understand that this is a free dating site.

That means about 90% of the profiles on here are not who they profess to be.
Free brings on a slew of degenerates.
You have to be very careful who you reply to.

And I question why at the age of 19, such a beautiful young lady like you has to utilize a dating site.

Get out there and meet people in real life.

Take that from a concerned mother.
 jjoenyc73
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/17/2013 5:39:03 PM
To be honest....based on male reply rates, i would say it is best not to respond and take up inbox space. But if you think he made a good effort, you might want to reply "mention you do not think you will be a good match" Reason is because then at least you are rewarding GOOD behavior, as oppose to lumping them with the "hey sexy" message guys. Before you know it those guys might think they need to start saying "hey sexy" also. Myself, ONLY message me if you want to know me better.I hate messages back where they act friendly and shoot the breeze but have no intention of going anywhere.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/17/2013 8:52:55 PM
I send a polite response to almost every message:

"Thank you for your compliments. I appreciate it.
However I don't think we make a good match. Good luck in your search."

In response to crass and obscene messages I reply: "Your message was disgusting and offensive. You are blocked."
 Pangaean
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/17/2013 11:26:36 PM
Should you reply to every message you get even if you know you arent interested? ~ parisianskies

Do what you feel is right and works best. Don't feel like replying? Then don't.

I don't want to say thanks but no thanks to anyone and wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings but i've been getting a lot of abuse of men who I haven't replied to and its getting a bit too much :(

Seems ironic that you're getting abused by those with an apparent moral issue, do you think? So then, perhaps somehow your question answers itself?

I think it impolite to ignore a message received. ~ Azure Azure

Unsure about that. Ideally, perhaps, but this is the internet afterall. What might work in some contexts may work less well in others.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Should you always message back?