Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you vote for an Atheist president?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussArtLover
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Would you vote for an Atheist president?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
OK the buck stops here :)
Would you vote for a devout Atheist for President of the United States?

Let's assume this guy had no criminal record and tons of accreditations for academic and charitable achievements, was good looking, happily married with similar children fallowing in in footsteps and a Second degree black belt in Karate.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 2
Would you vote for an Atheist president?
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:37:04 AM
Sure I would ... providing he was the BEST man for the position.

Why do you ask?
 RussArtLover
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:40:00 AM
I was reading over some of these threads and asked myself the same question. Eureka hmm :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:52:58 AM
It's certainly not the first thing I'd look at but it would send a good message to the world that Americans can still be the good guys without sugar coating it. I never voted prior to 2000 for similar reasonings. I never even registered. Moving up north I finally took an interest in such things and decided to see past the propaganda and look at trends.
 ironwinecoffee
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/20/2013 12:39:55 PM
Yes. Faith/religion does not play a huge factor in my decision making for office. I will say I would think most Americans would have a serious problem with it and I would be surprised to see an Atheist in any high office.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/20/2013 12:49:02 PM

I will say I would think most Americans would have a serious problem with it and I would be surprised to see an ADMITTED Atheist in any high office

FTFY

Recent surveys have indicated that Americans would vote for a Muslim before they voted for an Atheist. Atheists are the most distrusted minority in the country. But does anybody really believe there are no Atheists in high office? I suppose there were no homosexuals in high office in the 50's (cough - J. Edgar Hoover - cough).....

People keep secrets. Sometimes it saves their lives.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2013 1:38:36 PM

FTFY

Recent surveys have indicated that Americans would vote for a Muslim before they voted for an Atheist. Atheists are the most distrusted minority in the country. But does anybody really believe there are no Atheists in high office? I suppose there were no homosexuals in high office in the 50's (cough - J. Edgar Hoover - cough).....

People keep secrets. Sometimes it saves their lives.

Well, there is Pete Stark, but he was only a congressman.

It goes without saying that I would vote for an atheist (if I was a US citizen, of course), although it would not be the major factor - I'd look at his/her social, political and economic policies first. Up here in Canada, I was a strong support of my former local MP, even though it was clear that he was a devoted Christian (e.g., I got Christmas cards from him which quoted scripture). The fact is, I don't really take a candidate's religious views into account, as long as they keep their religion separate from government. What's important is that they do their job properly and is accountable to the voters.
 Westley_Auryn
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/20/2013 1:51:38 PM
I've never known of any candidates that could appeal to me in a way that avoided insulting my intelligence.
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/20/2013 1:52:42 PM
God has nothing to do with this country. As long as the president were to have a strong moral code to do what is best for the masses, I could give a sh*t less.

Just think of Bill Clinton. He had premarital affairs going against the so-called will of god, yet he was on of our better presidents in the last 20 years. Also gotta love him for pardoning his brother.
 nipoleon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 1:39:00 AM
We've never had an avowed atheist president, you'd be surprised at how many presidents barely set foot inside a church before they were elected to the office.
All our politicians pay lip service to the predominate religion.
 Ochema
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/21/2013 2:08:05 AM
I don't vote, but I don't think that this would stop me. Just as long as this wouldn't be any major part of his campaign. There are atheists out there who are just as annoying as bible thumpers.
 MegaMike_64
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/21/2013 2:49:21 AM
Over here (in Australia), we have an atheist Prime Minister. She's proven that it /is/ possible for an atheist to be worse than theists.

I just wanted to get my Gillard-hate for the day out. :)
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 4:04:22 AM
I probably already have.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/21/2013 11:53:05 AM
The president is not required to utter the words 'so help me god'.

From Wiki -

It is uncertain how many Presidents used a Bible or added the words "So help me God" at the end of the oath, or in their acceptance of the oath, as neither is required by law; unlike many other federal oaths which do include the phrase "So help me God."[32] There is currently debate as to whether or not George Washington, the first president, added the phrase to his acceptance of the oath. All contemporary sources fail to mention Washington as adding a religious codicil to his acceptance.[33]
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/21/2013 12:56:39 PM

Raises the question then, when the Supreme Court Justice is giving the President the Oath of Office, does he/she say "so help me G-d?" or do Presidents add it themselves?

I assume there is a simple communication between the President and the SCJ to determine if it is to be an oath or an affirmation.

but then, I watched West Wing about a gozillion times......
;-)
 InActingLive
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 9:54:36 PM
If it were up to me running for political office would be like applying for a job. The politician wouldn't tell us their religion and we wouldn't ask. Decisions about who is most qualified to run the country shouldn't be made on what church someone attends. They should be made on who is most qualified to run the country.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/22/2013 5:12:50 AM

If real life politiicians were equal to "Barlett" or "Santos" I'd vote. :)

If Jed Bartlet were running I'd convert to Catholicism and start donating money to Notre Dame....
;-D
 PROTON67
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/22/2013 3:34:04 PM
Well, I'd rather have an atheist than the false prophet antichrist we've got. At least he would be neutral.
 slybandit
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:55:32 AM
Being Canadian might make it kind of difficult to vote for an openly atheist candidate for the P.O.T.U.S.

But I suppose I would find a way. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I'm likely to have a chance to do so, though.
 fishiefisher
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/25/2013 12:54:24 PM
Why does the not havIng a criminal record matter?

Most reps are crooks. They get an automatic pay raise every year. They aactually have to VOTE to stop it. That's not crookish?
DCs mayor was caught on camera smoking crack and doing hookers... did his time n got reelected. BEST man in dc for the job!!. Haha

Ppl do make mistakes and lots of ppl put reps on pedestals. Dude can get caught making moonshine and be hauled away in cuffs... some ivory league elite. Pres can start a vineyard as a hobby, pay all applicable fees and taxes and be reelected.

Just because someone violated a statue of law, in and of itself doesn't deminish their value. Our founders were felons. Could a been hung for crimes against the crown. ... but that's different tho??

Jefferson wrote (paraphase) "there's nothing better then a good sIt on the porch, watching the sun set behind montecello, while smoking some good HEMP"

EXCEPT you can't SMOKE hemp... gives you a nasty head ache... he was puffing cannabis... writing in the bill of rights... enjoying sun sets and hues cascading over the skies... sounds like a pot head to me!!!

You can still be pres or state rep or senator or mayor or governor with a felony. You know what would happen if that protection wasn't there?? Cod be that every one was a felon and no one was "allowed" to run. What if felons were banned from all elections too? Sounds far fetched.. but prision pops have doubled since 1985... we have the largest prison pop by population .. then any other country, including China.

I heard everyone comits like 7 felonies on average a day... and every tax return is a blatant felony. Did you declare the revenue from your yard sale?? Do you collect the sales tax? You dirty criminal. Noooo. Sometimes Its lIke that...ppl do mis guided things and sometimes there's an old antiquated statue that may state things are illegal... but it doesn't mean you're a disgraced human being... lower life form or any less righted then a non offender... maybe if you made criminology your career choice.. but a record in and of itself doesn't meant dck.

I am a felon. One time offender...I did one bid... nothing before... nothing since... 2 more years and it will be ten years since parole... I'm self employed. I own my home... my vehicles... truck. I'm probably more productive then most in terms of economic contributions... I conjure dough out of thin air whIle others just punch a clock and collect their pay. Self employed means if we don't get up and find it... you get NOTHING. So who's the real second class citizen.. most ppl can't follow the simple instructions on a 1040EZ LET alone schedule c's or depreciation values. Most ppl NEED work provided or like the other 43 mill Americans would automatically reach out for food stamps... 150 mill Americans live on $15k- a year... I created $32k. In income last year minus expenses... but have a steady 33% increase for 3 years now. At this rate I'll reach the same productivity rate I had in prison $47k/per year next year.

Then I'm getting land and building a homested. I could run for gov in my state AFTER that and in Massachusetts... I'd prob win.
I started in the slums... no parents... no guidance... complete poverty... to prison... to self employment... every thing paid in cash... no loans cause I'm a felon and a disgraced human being and they don't give loans to felons... or blacks... but that's a given... since most blacks are felons and most felons are black. Like 3/5ths of all black men in this country will have a record at one point in their lives... and I'm not tryin to be funny or hateful. I'm Irish and Italian... I don't think I'm even allowed to be racist with that kinda blood. Be like a Jew who's anti Semite. That's fact tho and it's disturbing. No loans for felons... no homes... nomeaningful employment. So some take matters into our oen hands... doesn't mean we''re better then folks... but sure as Sgt means we ain't beneath none of y'all's feet.

Kinda sht that drives. I bet you didn't know someone could buy your morg note from the bank and you'd be paying them your monthly dues...
Would kinda be like how the bank owns your ass-etts now??

Being self employed and finding enough to sustain yourself is beyond words. The freedom it creates is un matched.
Having a home, no car payments, no credit debt, only medical bills and student loans... it ain't so bad...
My quality of life is better then 150 mill Americans off rip... avg income in mass is $37k and I made that on my own. Who do you think
Is more stable and deemed mote valuable to society? A wage earner or a wage creator? If the position. Is taken away for any reason you're up shts creek... if you produce the same amount for yourself consistently... where do you think real security lies?
I'm an ex felon and achieved this... and yet still we get thrashed... I don't take it personally... I let it drive me and one day
Maybe I can provide one of you with meaningful work and adequate pay. Haha
 RussArtLover
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:08:59 PM
Playing devils advocate a moment I suppose it goes back to "don't get caught" but the dumbing down of America may well be overshadowing a dumbing down of who we'll let pose as our leaders. Hopefully while the real leaders avoid getting caught in the crossfire. I'm personally too much of an altruist to run for office. I'd be shot, or shoot someone within a day :)
 zenpeacelove
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 2:43:29 PM
Yes, I would vote for an atheist president. I think that there is too much religion in politics now and perhaps I don't understand the nuances, but I thought there was a separation of Church and state. My brother is an atheist and belongs to a group called "Good without God" For many, religions gives them as set of rules and a moral compass to live by, but then this unfortunately expands into pushing this on others and judging them as wrong if their beliefs are different. I think people are capable of being moral compassionate, ethical and many other things even if a supreme being does not figure in their thinking.
 jed456
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 3:34:24 PM
Simple answer yes.
 Aries_328
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 4:02:00 PM
An atheist candidate would be great.

It would go one of two ways. Either a constant ****ing about all the religious symbolism in nearly everything government or a personal issue that they should be able to successfully defend without demoralizing others.

Is there one capable of doing that? They are politicians. They mostly already have their own religion.

The right candidate would be good for everyone. The wrong one will just make the trust issue worse.

While I do think that most in office already are and are just dishonest about it... Really have to wonder why you don't hear about them stating it once out of office.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2012/08/08/he-lit-into-me-ex-lawmaker-claims-atheist-rep-pete-stark-threatened-him-questioned-his-faith/

“Basically after all that, after questioning my faith, after threatening to have my children taken away by social workers, after threatening my livelihood and questioning whether I’m still a Democrat…after questioning all of those things and threatening me he asked me to reconsider,” Torrico alleges.

Watch the video... It's funny.
 tonym_jersey
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/26/2013 10:26:24 AM
Agreed Jeff, and even the "participation" in paying taxes is not voluntary, it's coercive. It's theft.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you vote for an Atheist president?