Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > is it better to ignore or send an no thanks, reply?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 vestaceres
Msg: 4
is it better to ignore or send an no thanks, reply?Page 1 of 1    
Don't be a martyr, Fifi. Answer or don't answer, as you wish.

It's been my experience, more often than not, that when I have sent polite declination e-mails, returned to my inbox would be a string of expletives and declarations of how I'm not smart, pretty, they're the best guy, nobody will ever love me, etc. When I didn't respond, they would send two or three more e-mails, and then when I messaged them a polite "no thank you" for contact, e-mail, they said they never wanted to date me, in the first place. Now, I simply ignore and block, if necessary.

Nobody is owed anything to or from a total stranger in passing on the internet. You're not responsible for how they feel, in this context. The level of rejection they feel at this juncture of your contact (no previous contact, promises, dates, etc), is entirely their own.
 Pangaean
Msg: 6
is it better to ignore or send an no thanks, reply?
Posted: 1/21/2013 3:02:22 AM
Was this question just asked recently by someone else and how hard is it to answer for oneself anyway?
 RossMc
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:34:22 AM
The best thing is to not answer if you are not interested. Don't be too invested in sparing people's feelings. I mean a lot of the messages are just the same message sent to a hundred people at a time. If someone becomes annoying or nasty, just instantly cease all communication and block them. Anyway, you have to haver the attitude that if someone's not interested in what I have to bring, I don't see that as a rejection of me. I mean, they have their own needs and desires. Its not all about me.
 windchymes
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:40:21 AM
If you're not interested in a guy, you really shouldn't have "friendly conversations" with them, because it kinda gives them the impression that you ARE interested in them. I know you're just being nice, but it does send out the signal that you are interested.
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:49:21 AM
Your choice. Some men and women believe you should while others say ignoring works best.
 Ziore
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/21/2013 7:09:26 AM
I would say "no thanks." While sometimes rejecting a person can be harder on you, often times a note is appreciated so that the guys have a definite answer that you aren't interested. Otherwise it might just end up as one of those "I don't understand. We were talking so great for a couple of weeks and then she fell off the face of the planet" kind of situations. Of course, you have some shallow men on here who might start cursing you out, but I bet they still respect (deep down inside) that you were honest and upfront with them.
 funny4uwannatry
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 7:13:52 AM
I say thank you but I dont think we are a good match but I wish you well in your search. I am polite, was raised with manners and I personally thinks its the right thing to do. If you get a nasty message in return, chalk it up to ignorance and block and delete. I rarely get a negative response for saying that.
 grove_22
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/21/2013 3:28:36 PM
On the first email, it doesn't matter to me if I get "no thanks" or no response.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > is it better to ignore or send an no thanks, reply?