Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rhonda333
Msg: 1
Men don't smell like men anymorePage 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
So the other night I was taken to dinner by two young men representing a company in which we have an interest- so the occasion was business, not necessarily social. They were both handsome, nicely dressed and the atmosphere was convivial. But I could smell their cologne- quite distinctly. Now when a woman wears perfume, its to be detected up close and personal- not across the room. In fact it was like dueling cologne's with these chaps. More than that, the scents were distinctly feminine- complex, mysterious musky. Certainly not like the Old Spice, English Leather or Canoe that my generation's men smelled like. So whats going on guys? Is this a generational switch that you don't want to smell like your father, or has taste changed and men no longer favor the fresh masculine aroma's of the old days?
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 2
Men don't smell like men anymore
Posted: 1/21/2013 12:23:36 PM
I don't wear cologne or perfume. I respect those with allergies. I certainly wouldn't douse myself with the stuff like all the young lads and lasses seem to these days. I have been in elevators where the stench of perfume has been so strong I have almost choked on it.
 Paderic
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/21/2013 12:27:09 PM
Old Spice, English Leather, and Canoe are cheap crap. I graduated from that stuff before I turned 20.

Some guys put way too much on, it's like they dipped themselves in it (probably because they bought the splash instead of the spray). Just a couple sprays is plenty.
 Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 12:30:25 PM
Quite honestly I get the exact opposite.......I'm a bit liberal with my cologne and I wear some of the latest fragrances from Georgio Armani as well as fresher smelling stuff from Hollister, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Dolce to name a few and all I get are complements from women. I find ladies like a nice smelling man............it seems to work for me!!
 activemelaney
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 1:01:03 PM
Fresh?

You think English Leather and Old Spice smell fresh? Have you ever been in actual fresh air? Those older smells were quite heavy as they competed with not so nice smells of the day....cooking meat, wet wool, coal fires, horses, grease, outhouses, etc

Fresh is clear air...outdoors..Nature...a breeze, etc. It's not heavy smells in a bottle.

Clean skin, clean air, clean clothes. No need to drown them in Grandpa's odors.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/21/2013 1:17:15 PM
So,by what I've read here on this topic about some of the more generic as well as generational colognes.I would
hope to assume that my hai karate is still in vogue?
 Proteaus
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/21/2013 1:34:56 PM
One of the reasons men don't look or smell like men is there is a whole industry out there devoted to feminizing men.Taking the masculinity out of being a man.A industry devoted to making a man as pretty to a woman as possible.It is happening all over the world .
Posted: 1/21/2013 1:45:59 PM
I like men to smell like the forest.IF they must smell like anything other than ivory soap and a touch of sweat.
Balsam fir needle, cedar..essential oils though, NOT alcohol based cologne.

Spicy can be good with cloves and cinnamon..like you could gobble them up with a spoon.
^^^^^^^Manly IMO

I think a bit of vanilla/almond extract is good behind the ears..

Men seem to like cinnamon and vanilla on women also.
Its a good mix.

NOT TO MUCH.
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/21/2013 1:58:57 PM

One of the reasons men don't look or smell like men is there is a whole industry out there devoted to feminizing men.Taking the masculinity out of being a man.A industry devoted to making a man as pretty to a woman as possible.It is happening all over the world .

What do you mean? Do you mean I cannot now wear my sarong or hairgrips like David Beckham, my very masculine nail polish by Alphanail, my mantyhose by comfort4men, my men's high heels, my mankini etc?

Am I to be denied my right to wear men's apparel because it displeases some? I just can't please anybody these days. I can't wear women's clothes because it offends some. I can't wear men's clothing because it offends some. I can't go naked because it offends some.

Is this what I am reduced to wearing? The male burkah?
 phoenix_55
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/21/2013 2:05:32 PM
I don't know what that smell is that comes out of the Abercrombie & Fitch store, but I love it! And if it wasn't so dark and scary in there I might go in and check it out for myself lol

And I agree with everything Peppermint Petunias said ... men should smell like men. But don't go overboard. We just need a whiff of the forest ... not the whole dang tree ;)
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/21/2013 2:12:13 PM
Cologne fragrances are subject to preferential changes just like anything else. Green and orange shag carpet 4 inches high is no longer en vogue either.....

But colognes have not really changed all that much. Current preferences are for either citrus or leather as primary basenotes. Tonka and tobacco are very popular in masculine scents now as well.

Guess what?

Old spice - Vanilla, Orange, cinnamon.....and Tonka bean.
English Leather - Citrus, Wood, and leather.

Same stuff, different package and marketing to the lemmings......
;-)

But yeah - give me back that Hai Karate Oriental Lime. That shyt was killa, yo??
 venusenvy777
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/21/2013 4:21:49 PM
I love a man with a sexy trace of cologne, I cant stand a man who wears too much. Besides the best man-smell is freshly showered and shaved yummy!
 Fleuron
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/21/2013 4:22:14 PM
I’d love to find out if Axe for Men is really like catnip for women. ;)
 Walts
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/21/2013 4:46:33 PM
I don't use any of that shiat.Never have. Phuck, I'm lucky if I actually use soap,if and when I get to have a hot shower. When I do the cold dunking, I'm not in there long enough for soap.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/21/2013 5:02:09 PM

I can recommend Acqua di Gio. :)

Seems to be universally good regardless of body chemistry. The men's version smells great on women, too!

I think when people over-apply it's usually because they've grown desensitized by wearing it every day.

That Axe stuff is disgusting. It just reeks of CHEAP.

Walts, I love you. What happened to your picture?
 Fleuron
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/21/2013 5:12:00 PM
^^^^ So I guess it’s safe to assume it doesn’t work like catnip for ya?

I’m allergic to it and can’t use it myself, but I love the smell of Irish Spring on men. Mmmm….anyone remember those old commercials? Yum, yum.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:06:23 PM
At a dance a few months ago I asked a guy what he was wearing, he smelled sooo good. He said Burberry for Men, apparently his ex bought it for him. I replied with, "she obviously has good taste" ....he just laughed and said, "Not that good, she's seeing my best friend."

...mae
 DietFree
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:13:01 PM

Is this a generational switch that you don't want to smell like your father,

Sorry, but no, I don't want to smell like my father.

I take it that you want to smell like your mother?
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:16:41 PM
i dab a little maple syrup behind each knee.
 AintNoDeal
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:21:17 PM
I was conscripted into using Obsession for Men many years ago. Women seem to prefer anything over natural musk, sweat and tears. I don't know the difference and cannot remember what any perfume or cologne smells like. If I was given a blind test, I couldn't even identify what I wear. Most of it smells OK to me.

I like perfume on women - a little bit that you can't smell until you're close enough to lick her. I remember some exotic dancers use the stuff around their privates, too. It's a nice smell when they're dancing around your face.

But who want's to smell like old sweaty flannel after chopping wood? Then again, most women seem to like a dog's natural musk - I've never heard of women spraying dogs with cologne, yet they let them sleep in their beds all the time.

I was at the movies over the weekend. This fussy woman moved from where she was sitting, and sat right next to me, ignoring all the empty seats from my position to the aisle. Then she put her feet up on the chair in front. She reeked. My theater experience had just been ruined. I threw protocol and courtesy out the window - got up and moved away.

Sometimes you gotta act to protect yourself.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:29:54 PM
I've been on a few meet and greets and I have to agree with them smelling .... not like men.

I like it better if men just smell clean.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:30:51 PM

i dab a little maple syrup behind each knee.

Maple syrup eh? makes me think of breakfast....I guess that's no different than smelling of vanilla or cinnamon....Lol I hear they're coming out with a cologne that smell like bacon.

...mae
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 24
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:52:12 PM
The BBC analysed a lot of the colognes/perfumes and came out with the stunning conclusion that there were quite a few that smelled identical, had identical components and were essentially the same thing in a boys packaging and a girls packaging. They concluded it wasn't really worth buying on anything but price and I can't remember whether it was the girls bottle or the boys that worked out cheaper.

Personally I have allergies so I won't be doing any perfumes.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 6:56:26 PM
I absolutely HATE "English Leather"....always have...since it came out in the 1960s, I've always thought it was disgusting!

LOL! Now....a man who smells of Old Spice.....YUMMY!!!! (It reminds me of my Dad and Grandpa!)

BTW, for those who didn't know this.....smell is the biggest memory trigger of all the 5 senses.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/21/2013 7:12:06 PM
Haha, only catnip works like catnip on me...

I’m allergic to it and can’t use it myself, but I love the smell of Irish Spring on men. Mmmm….anyone remember those old commercials? Yum, yum.

I am too, but agreed, yes, and yes indeed!

This isn't the first I've heard good things about Burberry for Men, either. I'll have to bear that in mind next time I'm shopping.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men don't smell like men anymore