Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is the difference between Casual and Nothing serious?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ninierose
Msg: 1
What is the difference between Casual and Nothing serious?Page 1 of 1    
What's the difference between a man saying his intent is Casual Dating/No Commitment and Wants to date but nothing serious? If I want a relationship should I even bother messaging or responding to guys who have either of those intentions?
 christopher248
Msg: 2
What is the difference between Casual and Nothing serious?
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:14:58 PM
Personally I wouldnt read too much into that. both of those could mean they just wanna date alot, or that they just wanna date and see what happens, or they could be players. Dont over think it, trust your gut, you can tell when ur being played
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:20:10 PM
I would tend to think that casual means looking to date but nothing serious and wants to date but nothing serious sounds even more casual- like just a hook up, but they're both basically the same.
I'd stick with the guys who are looking to date who want what you want- a relationship, just steady dating- etc. Read their profiles to see if they expand on it. I generally found that the ones who were really looking would state this in their profiles, and I only really considered people who were dating looking for a relationship or looking long term, as I was at one point dating looking for a relationship and then changed to long term.
I was just chatting with a gf on site tonight and told her that I had run a search in my area before to see what most of the men are looking for and it was dating looking for a relationship. Most men seem to want to keep it mainstream and put dating.
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:23:22 PM
No difference lol.
 coco_14
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:38:45 PM
no commitment tends to be they just are looking for friends or sex. usually I find just sex partners. If they want to date but nothing serious it means they don't wan to invest in a relationship. just date but nothing long-term or exclusive. Basically casual dating.Definitely don't bother with the one who are seeking no commitment. If you wan a relationship look for those seeking the same. A guy usually is honest in what he wants. If he says he doesn't want a relationship he simply doesn't. Guys don;t overthink like women do.
 Traumerin
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:40:09 PM
Even the ones that state "actively looking for a relationship" are probably just looking to get laid. That has been my experience so far. can't trust those status statements at all.
 Fluffyguy1970
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/21/2013 9:11:09 PM
it depends aparently to the women that have responded to the post it means a man is looking for just sex, so if a woman has that as her status is she looking for not only sex but a free meal and drinks as well? I think it means they are not sure what they want. It could be that someone regardless of sex just got out of a bad relationship and looking to see whats out in the world or could be they are just playing the field. If you pass that person he could be the man of your dreams.....Take a chance see what he is looking for and see if you click.....
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/21/2013 9:40:44 PM
about the same difference as fried eggs and scrambled eggs.
 DameWrite
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2013 10:00:34 PM
Semantics.

Seaman tics? lol.
 apafely
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/21/2013 11:38:23 PM
Casual dating - nothing happens, except some vague and faint hope for freebie sex

Nothing serious - abandoned all hope, even for casual sex with fat women.

----------------------

For a man being with a woman is always a serious affair of business, never slight or superficial, although it does not have to be sincere. Some women are like this, too, nothing sexists about it exists, except programming of values by society's preconditioned systems.

So if seriousness is missing, the man is resigned to go on dates because there is no game on the tube and it's better and more fun to go on pointless dates, than, say, committing suicide or praying a mantra incessantly.

Women usually prefer the mantra thing, though. Again, social conditioning, if you ask me.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

From the one previous poster:
"My SO hypothesizes that women put their long-term goal, and men put their short-term goal.

So women, who well know that relationships start with casual dating, will often put Long Term Relationship.
And men, who may want a long term relationship, know an LTR starts with casual dating and often put Casual Dating."

This sounds right on. But what about men and women who don't know anything? What do they put? Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

--------------------------------------

Paramagic00, you lucky devil. I've forgot what gum even tastes like.

I should have liked to see a woman with your userid, though. You know. Paramagic. As in "have you seen the set on that broad? Wow, swooosh, my head is spinning like the propeller in "80,000 leagues under the sea". "
 Paramagic00
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/21/2013 11:52:25 PM
Apafely has the gist. I list "wants to date but nothing serious". I did have "wants a relationship" but have found that even after only a second simple friendly dates women have become over zealous and already had ideas we were in some sort of committed relationship. This is generally speaking and has happened on more than one occasion to me, Let me say #1 I don't kiss on the first date and sometimes won't by the second either, I am there to find out if there is connection not what their gum tastes like. So I am very careful that I am upfront and don't lead women on. I absolutely would love to find a person that I could have a long term relationship but I don't go into a first or second or even third date expecting that its going that route, it's way too early to tell.
 FishOwl
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/22/2013 12:08:38 AM
"If I want a relationship should I even bother messaging or responding to guys who have either of those intentions?"

Only if you have some idea what it means and want the same thing.
 vestaceres
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/22/2013 1:06:44 AM
To me they're one and the same. If you're seeking a long-term relation, it's best to avoid such profiles. '

OTOH, many people who've dressed their profile as seeking "Long-Term" use it as a guise, to coax many people whom they come in contact, that they're serious about a long-term arrangement, later citing any failures as "not a match," "no chemistry," "too much drama," and assigning blame to the other party, once they have received their piece of ass or decided they're of no more use.

Be cautious and wise.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 3:40:27 AM
Usually nothing.

If you hit them upside the head with what they are looking for, they will start thinking serious and start taking about relocating/deleting profiles soon enough blah blah blah.

I have found its a defense mechanism /excuse built in for the women they aren't REALLY into so they can say..I told you I wanted nothing serious if YOU start getting serious and they aren't interested in anything but * company* with you..

Just as looking for a relationship is sometimes faux when all they want is casual.
 TAWT
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/22/2013 3:58:44 AM
If I want a relationship should I even bother messaging or responding to guys who have either of those intentions?

I believe that depends on how quickly you think you can get from zero to 60 and/or what you think your chances are of wowing him into changing his mind.

Lord help ya though if you find one of those guys who wants to see how long he can delay an ultimatum while having sex with you because he said right from the beginning, "casual dating" or "nothing serious".
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:18:06 AM
Actually, unless the exact person who chose that set of choices decides to publish definitions of what we are SUPPOSED to think about those phrases, we'll never know.

When they decided to make every one choose from among them, as with a lot of other folks, I complained as you do here, that they were functionally identical.

Unless you get REALLY picky about word meanings, in which case "Casual" means that you never wear formal clothes or suits, and "Nothing Serious" means you are ONLY up for going to comedy clubs, and circuses. No Shakespearian dramas, and no Opera.

As has been hinted above, though, and as I have seen and experienced myself in life, what we all SAY about what we want; what we tell ourselves what we want; what we actually end up going for; and what we end up accepting, are often entirely unrelated to one another (save that we are the one at the center of all the confused babble about it all).
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/22/2013 5:51:30 AM
Women have pushed the boundaries of expectations when I post anything else. I grew tired of dealing with it & even changed to just friends to slow their roll. I'm open to a relationship but not immediately or just because we're both single. If it makes me a bad choice in some women's eyes so be it but better than being made to feel like a bad guy as if lying about my intentions.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/22/2013 7:54:11 AM

Casual Dating/No Commitment and Wants to date but nothing serious

Both mean NSA sex. In addition to that...

Casual dating means the guy expects you to offer to pay for the coffee he invited you to have with him. The other one means, he definitely expects you to pay for your coffee, offering is not enough.

LathaMath
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/22/2013 8:54:47 AM
I don't think we men think that precisely about dating. Both mean "don't count on getting your hooks into me".
The language around dating, and especially sex, has always been imprecise to hide one's real intentions, both male and female, and due to the taboo nature of anything to do with sex. I think people are more likely to be more straight forward now, willing to call a spade a spade, but the dating websites want to preserve the illusion of romance so choose language to do that. I think it would be fun to let people write their own intentions instead of choosing from a list.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > What is the difference between Casual and Nothing serious?