Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Medical Technology of the Future      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussArtLover
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Medical Technology of the FuturePage 1 of 1    
About ten years ago my interest started turning to medical applications but my background limited me to only vague at best understandings of what surgeons are saying they need. My first thought was:

Could complex sound waves be used to treat pain? Possibly a sub-audible carrier wave with "keyed to the patient" bio-feedback waves to interrupt the nervous system.

Any other ideas, let em flow.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Medical Technology of the Future
Posted: 1/22/2013 12:39:42 PM
I would think so. I know that the vibration and sound of a cat purr can ease my headaches.

My own vote for a "maybe," is to use electromagnetic fields to damp seizures. No idea if it would work.
 aussieblues
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2013 4:23:13 PM
Purrrfect Igor ;-)
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/22/2013 5:35:21 PM
Ultrasound is use to treat (chronic ) pain and injuries, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapeutic_ultrasound

Were you referring to sound waves that are more complex than ultrasound waves?

Light waves have been used to treat pain, injuries, etc. as well. I used it in my practice as one modality for chronic
pain.

http://www.healthknot.com/light_wave_therapy.html
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/22/2013 5:48:07 PM

Hopefully will be done on a not for profit basis.

Were you referring to sound waves that are more complex than ultrasound waves?

I think he was talking more about our own ability to heal ourselves.

If we place ourselves in the right frame of mind anything is possible.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2013 6:51:51 AM

Our current treatments cure only the symptoms not the cause of ailments.
Our medical cost is hitting the sky because symptoms reappear
after a few days or months or years.

May be medical science still doesn't understand how human body works.
In the future medical science must target the causes of diseases.
I think any man/woman can live for 100+ years without
expensive medical treatments if he/she follows certain health rules.

You're right. That's why holistic treatment usually works quite well. As an N.D., I used to practice and my goal was to find the root cause of the imbalance. I still associate with another holistic dr. and he's aces at getting to the root cause and treating it. Many modalities are used in holistic medicine and I much prefer it over allopathic/ traditional medicine, although I like to stay open to all forms of medicine and learn from them.

I think he was talking more about our own ability to heal ourselves.

If we place ourselves in the right frame of mind anything is possible

Agreed. The human body has an amazing capacity to heal itself and to heal when given a little help, and to know when to use that help rather than to constantly tinker with it ( popping a pill to 'fix' everything, etc).

In my experience, most people don't want to make the necessary changes in their lifestyle ( diet and exercise) to encourage and sustain good health/ better health.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 1:00:33 PM
I looked up Ultrasound, thanks. I thought that was just for imaging. Pretty versatile gizmo. Do you think it could be used to lessen the pain of childbirth? or might that be to risky for the infant..

Something you might find interesting about diet. Seems this German lady came up with a good way to reverse cancer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_Budwig

I've never tasted flaxseed oil or cottage cheese but I hear they're pretty awful. Maybe in a French Onion Dip hmm :)
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/24/2013 1:12:14 AM
Childbirth is dealing with deep somatic pain/ neurological pain and visceral pain.

The uterus has to contract and the cervix has to dilate.

Sound waves might be able to help the pain to some degree, but childbirth is geared to function through the governing of hormones, and a result of the function to that hormone release and function,,,so doubtful that the pain can be subsided a great deal other than thru a neuro block like an epidural.

Relaxation techniques and other things can help, but each case is very different.

I've had 2 children naturally and used relaxation techniques and I can tell you that it only goes so far.

Care has to be exercised with ultrasound use- with pregnancy, near the organs, etc. The benefit is more for deep tissue healing than for topical relaxation per se.
 Skyr
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 4:29:15 AM

Which ailments are you referring to? We understand the processes for many diseases, but reversing them is another thing altogether, because they relate to cellular physiology.

You can modify lifestyle factors that contribute to things like cardiovascular disease, but that is not actually treating the underlying factor, which is aging and cellular senescence.

For the big 'C', it's entirely genetic, so you would have to look into the cellular mechanisms that relate to uncontrolled cell division. Preventing the damage occuring in tumour suppressor genes and allowing the bodies immune system to clean up mutated cells.

May be medical science still doesn't understand how human body works.
In the future medical science must target the causes of diseases.

We know how a lot of processes work. We also have the ability to sequence the human genome thousands of times faster than we did 10yrs ago, so we can't be far off targeting the underlying causes.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 7:29:00 PM
Food for thought. Have you ever heard of a group called Immortality Institute? They changed the name of they're forum to LongeCity but it's still fairly edgey. They need funding if you know any gazillionaires.
 MegaMike_64
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/24/2013 8:36:09 PM
newEarthling said:

A lot of people got close to the bottom line in this thread, but never actually said it. Or maybe I'm the daft one who doesn't recognise this goes without saying, but:

If you fix the underlying ailment, the customer doesn't come back.
If you fix only the symptoms, the customer keeps coming back.

Which is more profitable? :D
 DameWrite
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 9:40:30 PM
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) and Its Applications for Healing
by Daniel D Silverstein, MD.

My mom's husband used to be an explosive ordinance diver and he ran the bends chamber. He told me that the chamber should be used for healing way back, now it is.
 Skyr
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 5:08:23 AM

But in the meantime we can do way better than what our current medical treatments can offer. Our treatments are reactive not proactive. By that time all damages have been done to our body.

Right now I'm seriously angry at medical researchers for creating meds after meds to cure symptoms.

I would have thought the field of genomics and stem cell research was about finding and reversing the underlying causes of disease.

Face it, we humans have two main things in us, water and air. No one was/is doing any breakthrough research to find out how we take in oxygen and how each internal organ of our body is nourished by oxygen, how can we make oxygen available to each organ by the right amount. I can't prove it but it appears to me oxygen plays an important part in keeping us healthy, even before pains attack us.

The haemoglobin molecule has been sequenced and we know the protein structure. And we've plotted out the oxygen dissociation curve. And how oxygen works in the electron transport chain. And how it works to buffer your blood as part of the bicarbonate buffering system. And a few other things. What other breakthroughs do you want from oxygen research?
 Skyr
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 5:20:19 AM

All you are saying is 'we are still learning how oxygen reacts with other chemicals in our body'. It sure is a good start.

No, I'm saying we already know a lot about how oxygen works in the body.

Let's start from here, if we don't breathe, we die.

That's profound, and we even know the biochemical mechanism of death from not breathing.

A healthy body works perfectly until the body is 30, some even 40+ years old. After this time different parts of the body (organs) start to malfunction. Putting all blames on AGE is like
giving God credit for everything.

Well, I would have thought a 40+ year old would have more senescent cell lines than, say, a teenager. And an 80+year old even more senescent cells. What else are you going to blame it on?

Could it be the oxygen we take in by breathing gets contaminated by our body in later years?

Are you suggesting that you form different compounds with the oxygen ion as you age?

Or oxygen fails to reach certain parts of our body in later years?

That's quite probable, as your arteries become atherosclerotic.

If not, then how does a body function so perfectly with the same
oxygen for 30/40 years? Just a curious question.

Because oxygen molecules and ions don't change?
 Skyr
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 4:30:54 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, there currently is no medical diagnostic system that
systematically observe oxygen levels in all internal organs.

There are all sorts of ways you can do it.

Myocardial perfusion scans and other nuclear medicine scans, doppler U/S for peripheral vascular disease, biochemical tests like Lactate for tissue perfusion, pulse oximetry. They all measure, or are proxies for, tissue perfusion.

You're a little behind the times :-)
 DameWrite
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2013 4:08:07 AM
Clean air and a lot a heart racing . Hmmm...That sound like something from our past.

Prevention hopefully will be the focus. Health over wealth. Long term benefit over short term.

It is curious how so many old greedos live past the average. Can we all move to where the air is cleaner and the food and water good? I guess 5000. a month on new med tech and bumping in line for transplants doesn't hurt either.

The prevention and the technology is out there for those who can afford it.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Medical Technology of the Future